+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

The only problem is that if you don't know how he got in, even if you get him out, he can sneak back in or his siblings may find the same route inside that he did. Do you have a pet door? If he has a secret entrance, he could be leaving in the day time and coming back in the secret passage at night.

Where I live (Maryland) when you need to have wildlife removed from your house you have to use a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. I had squirrels in my attic. They did a LOT of damage before I realised they were there. Over $1,000 has been spent so far on replacing my electric wiring they chewed, having their entry closed and secured and the wildlife guy setting traps. The wildlife guy charged $150 and and came less than an hour after I called him. I still have to replace most of my attic insulation. I will be getting an estimate for that on Thursday.

I found my wildlife guy by going on the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) web site. They use baited safe traps and then relocate the animals elsewhere. The animals are not harmed.

Gutmutter, if there is a opossum in your house I strongly suggest you act now. Today. Before you end up with very expensive damage.
    Kip likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Man, I'd be freaking out if there were even a little bitty possum in my house. I still remember a squirrel that got into our house when I was a kid. It hadn't been there very long but it chewed the window woodwork in an attempt to get out before we realized it was there. Grandma shooed him out with a broom. Good luck getting rid of him, Gutmutter. I think Photobabe gave you good advice.

Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian Fort members. I've only traveled to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Quebec City and Montreal. Also, on our way to our Alaskan cruise, the bus that took us from the airport to the pier gave us a lovely tour of Vancouver. The bus driver was quite the raconteur. Vancouver made such an impression that I would love to go back one day. Canadians are the nicest folks, at least the ones I have met, and I was always impressed by how clean every thing was. Enjoy your national holiday!
    Punkin, shyra and Debb70 like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

You must have had the same bus driver we had!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

Debb, you're proving again what a saint you are. Thank you for going the extra mile for the kitty and I'm relieved for both you and the kitty someone has agreed to take her in.

Inappropriate urination isn't always just behavioral. Could be a medical issue so I hope they get it checked out.

Are you managing to take good enough care of yourself during this? I'm thinking for instance of your diabetes and the effect stress can have on it.
    prhoshay, AZChristian and Debb70 like this.

Thank you ECM Next time come by my neck of the woods, there is place for you anytime
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Have you ever noticed that people can pronounce the singer's name...."Jewel", but tend to pronounce "jewelry" as "jew-ler-y"? Where do they get that hitch in their get-a-long?

That has stymied me, for a while. Are you "one of those"?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

We once had a possum that would come in the night at night and eat the cat's food. I'd shoo it out the door, and it (or another one) would be back the next night.

I came up with all sorts of plans to sneak up on it, but it would always hear (or smell?) me coming.

I didn't know if it was the same one that came each night or if there were several, so one night I cornered it up on our kitchen counter and tried to put red food coloring on its fur. But the food coloring didn't absorb and rolled right off. The fur was more like bristles. I did get some red food coloring on its tail and it got absorbed there.

It turned out it was just that one coming in each night. I finally got it herded into a pet carrier one night. My husband and son took it and released it a couple of miles from our house and I never saw it again (though for a while, whenever I saw a dead possum on the road, I'd look to see if it had a red tail.)

The funny thing was, I had stalked this possum for so long, that I kind of missed the hunt after it was gone, and was sorry that I never figured out how it was getting into the house.

So, Gutmutter, maybe you can put some pet food into a pet carrier and get the critter trapped.

If anyone ever gets a skunk or a gray owl in their house, I've also got tips for those situations!
    inthegarden likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My friend had a possum....and he lived in the city! He would keep a bowl of cat food next to his favorite chair, and he reached down to stroke his kitty while he was watching TV and noticed that her fur felt unusually rough. Well, he looked down and saw it was a possum!! He came to name the possum Opie, and I don't think he ever did anything to get rid of the critter. The possum just continued to visit and eat. That was OK with my friend.
    inthegarden and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Regarding tour bus guides...a good one really makes a difference. When I've gone on those red bus tours of cities, all of the guides have been good, but some are really exceptional. I think the exceptional ones really enjoy what they're doing and also have a wide breadth of knowledge about what they're talking about.

One of my favorite bus guide was at the Kennedy Space Center. In the time driving between places, the guide would ask someone where they were from. No matter where they were from - New Jersey, Wyoming, Denmark, Mexico, etc. - the guide had some fact relating that place to the Kennedy Space Center.

+ Reply to Thread