+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6527Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My eye happened to take note of the "What are you reading" thread a moment ago and it got me thinking that I have barely read anything at all recently. I used to be a voracious reader, but now I can never seem to find the time. After thinking about what has changed I think there are two factors (1) I have been exercising a lot more and it really chews up my free time and (2) I used to read at my kids sports practices, but now I tend to spend that time chatting with other parents.

My conclusion: being healthy and sociable has completely ruined my recreational reading habits!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    My eye happened to take note of the "What are you reading" thread a moment ago and it got me thinking that I have barely read anything at all recently. I used to be a voracious reader, but now I can never seem to find the time. After thinking about what has changed I think there are two factors (1) I have been exercising a lot more and it really chews up my free time and (2) I used to read at my kids sports practices, but now I tend to spend that time chatting with other parents.

My conclusion: being healthy and sociable has completely ruined my recreational reading habits!
    Speaking of reading ClosetRTWatcher, I recently posted there b/c I am part of a Ladies Meetup Group and we meet for other things but once every month or 6 weeks we meet for book club. Usually I don't read the book especially if I have no interest in it, but lately, I've found a few that I enjoyed and really found / made the time to read them! LOL but like you I used to read and then realized I exercised more and didn't read but when I did read at the gym, my workouts suffered. Just thought it was funny b/c it does matter if you like what you read or if you feel like you "have" to read it. Which is how I usually feel about book club. Like it's an assignment or something!
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    .. Just thought it was funny b/c it does matter if you like what you read or if you feel like you "have" to read it. Which is how I usually feel about book club. Like it's an assignment or something!
    That is SO TRUE! I hated reading assigned books when I was in school. I detested the Grapes of Wrath which was assigned when I was a sophomore in h.s., but I eventually read East of Eden on my own and loved it. Even Anna Karenina felt like a slog my junior year, but once I graduated I read War and Peace and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only thing I remember really enjoying as assigned reading was over the summer before AP English I read 1984 and Brave New World to prep for a compare and contrast assignment and I liked both of them. I think the difference was that there was no "X chapters per week" kind of timeline and no questions picking apart the symbolism and deep meaning in every stinking line of the story!

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed my book club until a few of the leaders had to ruin it for the others. I will not join another club again (so says me now). I don't read as much now, but I enjoy whatever I read. During book club, only 1 book I hated...absolutely hated: Cleopatra. It read drier than the Nile and was worse than a school textbook!!
    PGM35 likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I give up.......How dry is the Nile????

famita and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Interesting. I like Steinbeck, and loved Grapes of Wrath as assigned reading in high school. Even more when I saw my brother's theater company's musical rendition of it. Different strokes for ... whatever...

One of my tutees has Cannery Row as her summer reading assignment (SoCal an academic wasteland? I think not, at least among my demo). Love it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We have local commercials saying you should replace your mattress every 8 years! Um, maybe if I was rich. It would take 8 years just to pay off a king sized Temperpedic with all the features we'd want. We do need a new mattress but I'm not willing to pay thousands and thousands and because my husband is tall we need a king. I had a memory foam topper but it wasn't thick enough so for now we just have a padded mattress pad. We'll get a new mattress eventually. I wish we had Costco but around here it's Sam's Club.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Maybe they ought to do with mattresses what they do with cars--you don't actually own yours, you just lease it and you can trade it in at any time.

I don't remember when I moved in to my current condo but this is only the second mattress I've had while I've been here. I have to hold on to my mattresses as long as possible because I can't afford to get a new one every 8 years. And I sure can't get myself to spend the amount for a Tempurpedic, knowing I'll have to replace it in 8 years. For what those cost, they should have a lifetime guarantee!
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Shhhh . . . one of the main arguments I used to spend that much on our bed was, "But at our age, this is the last bed we'll ever have to buy!"
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.

On Thursday, I went by Costco. They had a very nice twin mattress of the regular kind for around $249.00! I was very impressed. They had a more basic one for $149.00, but I wouldn't bother, even for a young child. I'd pay the extra, because it's a very nice mattress, IMO. This is kind of funny. I was so busy and had so many things on my mind, that I forgot to check the mattresses there for myself! lol Maybe next week.

+ Reply to Thread