+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Good one!!!!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My knee-jerk response would be, "Yes. I need an intellectual equal". But since I'm not actually looking for a partner, it's moot (or according to Joey on "Friends" - a Moo Point - as irrelevant as the opinion of a cow). I could see the value of being with someone with differing strengths, though - say someone with mechanical skills, finesse when traveling, a strong interest in the arts, woodworking, musician, etc. Have you ever read The Elegance of the Hedgehog? My favorite book. It may be enough just for someone to appreciate your intelligence. But the constant, "What do you mean?" would hamper my mellow.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Here's a really good question: Is it important to you to have a mate who is your intellectual equal?
    Yes, I do think it is important. However, I would also like to add that there are different styles of intellect. I am more "book smart". My husband is more "street smart" and has amazing intuition. I like to think that our styles are complementary.
    Punkin, Kip, Cootie and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Here's a really good question: Is it important to you to have a mate who is your intellectual equal?

For me, I would say yes. I don't think there's anything more annoying than having somebody constantly asking you, "What do you mean by that?" "What do you mean by that?" "What do you mean by that?" "What do you mean by that?"
    That's a tough one. Mine isn't, and sometimes it's frustrating for both of us.
    He often gets quiet rather than saying "What do you mean by that."
    During an argument not long ago, he expressed fear that I'd leave him because he was "boring."
    No way.
    But I've learned to be more openly appreciative of his type of intelligence (which is different but no less significant nor valuable from mine).
    Complicated, but not impossible.
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had a good visit with my cousin yesterday. She had settled in and didn't talk about going home much at all. She's made friends and is doing activities. She seems much better. I'm very pleased and actually got a good night's sleep for the first time in weeks!

Does anyone have a memory foam mattress? I've seen them advertised, but I'm not sure how they would work long term. I think they are fairly expensive. Are they any more comfortable than a regular mattress?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We have a tempur-pedic mattress, and have had it for several years. We love it. It was definitely more expensive, but you can buy mattress toppers now that are made with memory foam. I've slept on them in hotels, and they're an improvement over the standard mattress.

One thing they don't tell you. They can be very hot to sleep on. During the summer months in AZ, I put a beach towel between the mattress and the sheet, which helps some. But if I ever buy another mattress, it would definitely be another memory foam.
    prhoshay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    you can buy mattress toppers now that are made with memory foam. I've slept on them in hotels, and they're an improvement over the standard mattress.
    I couldn't talk my husband into it but I wanted to buy one of those toppers. I was told to make sure it's thick enough. Like at least 6", that 4" isn't worth it. I may not have remembered that right but apparently there's a minimum to make it worthwhile.

That's good to know. The part about it being hot bothers me though. I'm not especially hot natured, but I don't think I would want something that might cause that. I guess I'll have to go and check them out.

Is yours the sleep number bed? That's memory foam, right?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I bought a memory foam mattress online and I absolutely love it! My old spring mattresses would develop a dip in the middle over time, no matter how often I turned the mattress and I ended up with back pain and charley horses in my legs. Since I switched to my memory foam mattress, I hardly ever get charley horses. I only get them from swimming or being on my feet for a long time.

The only things I would change about my mattress are the firmness and the temperature. They said on the website that the firmness could vary by matttress so I wish I had gone for a slightly softer mattress. The one I have is a tad firm for my tastes. I'm used to getting spring mattresses more firm to help prevent them getting a dip but that's not necessary with the memory foam so I would prefer to get a more comfortable, less firm mattress.

For the temperature, I could choose a cool mattress or a warm mattress. I tend to get cold so I chose the warm mattress but that was a mistake. I get the sensation of sitting in a warm car seat and getting a sweaty back from laying on my mattress and that's not pleasant. Ironically, the rest of me still gets too cold even when my back is hot so next time I will order the cool mattress.

I've kept my old spring mattress and box spring and planned to set them up in my guest room once I got that room cleared out and got a frame for it but now I think I'll order another memory foam mattress (soft and cool) and move my current memory foam mattress into the guest room when it arrives.

I was going to check on where I got the mattress from on ebay and how much it cost but eBay is messed up on my work computer. I tried going to it with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and it won't display right on either. I'll have to try it again at home later.

I appreciate all your input on mattresses. This really helps.

Hey, I have more good news. I'm now down 12 pounds! It was due to stress and not having time or energy to eat much lately, but now that things are getting more settled, I'm going to work on keeping the portions small, smart snacking and moving more.

+ Reply to Thread