+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #2391
    An innocent bystander nlmcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The mitten state
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2196351;
    Someone had opened up a credit card in a name similar to mine and the collection agency started harrassing me to pay. It got so bad that I had to hire a lawyer and threaten to sue. It turned out that when they can't collect (as they can't in most cases where identity theft is involved), they go after EVERYONE in that same area who has a similar name, hoping that one of them will be the right person. Doesn't seem very logical to me. I wonder, does anyone actually pay someone else's bills just 'cause they get those people's bills?
    I met a friend of a friend at a Christmas party and heard the most horrifying story. She lives in Ohio, and one day a garnishment showed up on her work check. It was from Michigan where she lived about 5 years ago. She hired my friend as her attorney to get this taken care of. The garnishment was through a bill collection agency and involved a woman with a similar name but not the same name. The bill collection agency somehow got ahold of her name and put all this "AKA (also known as) information on her credit report putting the similar name on her report like she had been using it, got her SSN and used this to garish her wages at her employer in Ohio. When the attorney contacted the bill collection agency they refused to release any information because "this person is not named on the account" but they had no problem garnishing the wages of someone who was not on the account or messing up her credit report. This has been going on for a couple months now and may take several more months to get fixed.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

  2. #2392
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2196351;
    Someone had opened up a credit card in a name similar to mine and the collection agency started harrassing me to pay. It got so bad that I had to hire a lawyer and threaten to sue. It turned out that when they can't collect (as they can't in most cases where identity theft is involved), they go after EVERYONE in that same area who has a similar name, hoping that one of them will be the right person. Doesn't seem very logical to me. I wonder, does anyone actually pay someone else's bills just 'cause they get those people's bills?



    I moved out of my parents home after college and they STILL get mail for me--even though I gave everyone a change of address card when I moved. I'm sure I'm still getting catalogs and junk mail at the old places I've lived. But yeah, anything with money, you'd think people would be dilligent about sending their new info to their employers, customers etc.

    I got mail for my deceased mom for over 2 years and I didn't care what it was, even if junk mail, I put: DECEASED, return to sender on it.
    The worst was a phone call. She had her Discover card stolen and the person ran up a large dept on it. My mom had reported it stolen, Discovery would NOT work with her and eventually the amount, plus interest, penalties, etc., came to $10,000. She had hired a lawyer and we got nowhere with Discover card. I couldn't wait for them to call me after she died. They had been rude, threatening, unwilling to work with her. THey had the police report where her wallet was stolen, they had affidavits from store owners that the person that used the card did not look like my mother, it was a big mess for YEARS. So they called and I said: SHE DIED AND THERE IS NO MORE MONEY. They tried to get me to pay it and I just laughed and said: HA!
    They threatened to put a lien on her estate and tie of up probate. I said: good luck. She died penniless and broke, there is not estate, there will be no probate, you will NOT be getting the money you did not deserve from my mom after years of harrassing her and threatening to put her in jail. So you can take your $10,000 and........... you can guess the rest. Most satisfying call of my life. I did have to send them a copy of the death cert. But it stopped it. We stil got calls for her though and the best was a call about a month after she died from her dr. office reminding her about an appt. This is the same dr. that signed the DC.
    I finally moved and the mail for her stopped with that move as I didn't file a change of address for her.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-06-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #2393
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Fibromyalgia support group for us Fort sufferers

    Quote Originally Posted by jelle;2196420;
    Sorry to change the subject again -
    Fibromyalgia - I too have fibromyalgia. And the thing that helps most is talking with others to see how they cope with the disease. It is so unknown. I have tried support groups, but all they did was compare medications and whine about how bad they had it. I found a Dr. in Olympia named Charles BAtes. He himself has fibro as did his mother. He believes there is great evidence that fibro is "caused" by the body becoming intollerant to certain FOODS, smells, etc. Ordinary substances become toxic and the body can no longer cope.The worst are Caffine, alcohol. sugar, wheat, chocolate, corn, dairy. He starts you out on a three week elimination diet and then adds foods like you do for babies. It works.I have seen amazing amazing results (www.beyondfibromyalgia.com). It is the hardest thing I have ever done - and have failed mightely, but I realize what I eat has tremendous impact on how I feel. Just passing on info.
    Sorry for the double post, but this subject needed its own message.

    THe mods prefer we don't start a support group here. Was wondering if I set up a yahoogroups would those of you with fibromyalgia be interested.

    Mods, if I do start one, can I at least post the info here for those that wish to know about it? I won't post continulously, but just a link or info to get those of us with Fibro to the right place so we dont' tie up a reality tv forum with health problems.

    I opened a yahoogroup for us. PM me for details and how to join. I am glad to know that I do not suffer alone and maybe through combined resources, we can be of help and support to each other with this painful and dibilitating disease and find ways to help each other find relief and to cope. Thanks.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-06-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #2394
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,318
    I get mail for my former husband who has never lived at my address. What is with that? We've only been divorced since '93. I've even gotten mail for his now ex-, the third wife. I shred my unwanted mail....theirs goes into the trash intact!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  5. #2395
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2196584;
    Sorry for the double post, but this subject needed its own message.

    THe mods prefer we don't start a support group here. Was wondering if I set up a yahoogroups would those of you with fibromyalgia be interested.

    Mods, if I do start one, can I at least post the info here for those that wish to know about it? I won't post continulously, but just a link or info to get those of us with Fibro to the right place so we dont' tie up a reality tv forum with health problems.

    I opened a yahoogroup for us. PM me for details and how to join. I am glad to know that I do not suffer alone and maybe through combined resources, we can be of help and support to each other with this painful and dibilitating disease and find ways to help each other find relief and to cope. Thanks.
    myrosiedogI am impressed, not too surprised, cause you do have the "can get it done" personality ...Wow....thanks for getting this going..and the mods do have a real point.....the boards could really get bogged down with all kinds of health issue groups....I sure didn't think about that ....

    Jelle--thanks for the interesting information....sounds doable
    Last edited by Vonna; 01-06-2007 at 12:19 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

  6. #2396
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2196791;
    myrosiedogI am impressed, not too surprised, cause you do have the "can get it done" personality ...Wow....thanks for getting this going..and the mods do have a real point.....the boards could really get bogged down with all kinds of health issue groups....I sure didn't think about that ....

    Jelle--thanks for the interesting information....sounds doable
    Jelle's list is very similar to the list that came in the info packet for my supplement drink and I know when I'm better about following the diet, my symptoms are less.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #2397
    FORT Fogey veejer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2196014;
    My daughter lived with me for about four months, twenty years ago. I still get mail for her almost every week. She has moved, and turned in change of address cards three or four times since then. She has also lived at her present address for about twelve years.
    I've been married for over 20 years, my parents moved after I was married about 5 years, and my mom still gets mail for me in my maiden name at an address where I never lived.

  8. #2398
    I Is Stephanie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,037
    My grandparents get mail for my cousins on a daily basis.

    Not only have my cousins never lived with them, but they don't spell the names right (Christopher becomes Chistofer...), but they don't use the right surname either. My grandmother is SURE that she's never given their names out to anyone, so she has no clue where it's coming from.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

  9. #2399
    FORT Fogey Muduh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2196856;
    I've been married for over 20 years, my parents moved after I was married about 5 years, and my mom still gets mail for me in my maiden name at an address where I never lived.
    Bet that's some important mail too. lol Nice to know that they're on top of things,isn't it? If my daughter had applied, and gotten accepted for every credit card offer that has come here, she'd need a pickup truck to haul them around.

  10. #2400
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544
    Well on the mail subject, for the first couple of years I lived in my here (moved in 1997) I would receive mail for the previous tenant, (a young lady? who skipped out on everything including her rent.) so I finally printed up a bunch of labels return to sender - the person no longer lives here, and just stuck them on the envelopes. I would also get her collection calls, because apparently the dunderheads are looking up by apartment NOT phone number.
    RING: Hello
    Caller: Is Jane Kowalski there?\
    Me: NO, hasn't been here for X amount of time
    Caller: Do you know where she went
    ME: I hope to hell because I'm sick of you people calling me.

    I finally did the answering machine thing that I saw someone else here did also.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.