+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    We have a teacher easily over 70 who is starting to slip mentally. She loses students' work, gives the same homework assignment 3 nights in a row, is always the last one to post her grades on the computer. She lives alone and doesn't want to retire because she doesn't know what she would do with her time. I wonder at what point someone (who? and how?) will have to make the decision for her.
    Oh my....this is so sad. These are early signs. Medical tests and evaluations might offer her some answers. Dementia can be caused by many things such as Frontal Lobe damage, Strokes, Alzhiemers, etc. The teacher needs to set her affairs in order while she has some reasoning left, such as designating a Durable Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney, executing a Will, etc. If these things aren't in place, it makes things so much more difficult for others and her welfare could suffer. I guess no one knows how to approach it.

OMG.. we had the worst lightning last night! I can normally sleep through a serious storm, but this was out of this world. I read here that someone's tv was recently hit by lightning. Did you know it when it happened? Was the tv on? We are supposed to get more storms today!

Debb if your electronics are plugged into one of the surge protector extention cords they should be alright. Several yrs ago we learned a very expensive lesson. Our computer, dvd player, and cordless phone all got zapped by lightening. Since we have everything plugged into the surge protector we haven't had that happen again. This time it was our hughesnet modem that got zapped and I think the satalite dish got hit and it blew the modem because they're connected with a cord. The modem was plugged into the surge protector with all my other electronics and it was the only thing that got zapped. It's best to turn all of your electronics off when you have a lightening storm and unplug them. Around here the storms come on so fast we were in the middle of shutting everything off when it got zapped.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am ready for fall weather! Halloween sounds pretty good, to me! And there's candy!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am ready for fall weather! Halloween sounds pretty good, to me! And there's candy!!!
    OMG No! Summer weather hasn't even gotten here yet. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm tired of cold and rain. Early last week we even woke up to snow covering the ground. Granted, it wasn't heavy & it was completely gone by lunch time, but still, it was there when I woke up. The lows have been in the 30's & the highs in the 60's, that is if we're lucky. This week has been mostly in the 50's with rain.
    Usually June is like this. You never know what you're going to get, except lots of rain.

July is usually the turn toward warmer, then August is nice & warm & September OK. October is the beginning of the return of Winter. We kind of skip Fall.
    I say that Fall is the season where the leaves freeze on the trees & fall off with a clunk.

I don't belong here, but I'm stuck (frozen to the ground).
    Punkin likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Summer began this morning. We've been dancing in the upper 90s for over a week. Satan has come to town. He is not welcome.
    Punkin and Ellen like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Summer began this morning. We've been dancing in the upper 90s for over a week. Satan has come to town. He is not welcome.
    If he's bringing the heat, send him here.
    Lil Bit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    If he's bringing the heat, send him here.
    I agree.I must say we have been just right, with a nice breeze. Now of course the storms will start The time goes so fast, we try and enjoy all the seasons, I am thankful for AC though
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I went to a Renaissance Fair today. I'd never been to one before. What fun! All the performers, craftsmen, and many of the attendees were in period clothing. Wandering minstrels, a jousting tournament with real horses, awesome craft booths, mutton and turkey legs at one food station. Most of the lay people wore plain street clothes, which I thought was odd. At least make an effort. I wore a long skirt and tank top (it was hot) with a floppy felt hat to keep the sun off my face. I wear a lot of long skirts normally, so I was sort of half playing along. I saw some people squint at me like, is she part of the pageantry? There was an enchanted woods with people dressed up as fauns and fairies flitting about behind the trees. It ended in a gypsy camp. Fun! I went alone, saw what I wanted to see, and left when I was done. I don't usually go places like that alone, but it was good.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I went to a Renaissance Fair today. I'd never been to one before. What fun! All the performers, craftsmen, and many of the attendees were in period clothing. Wandering minstrels, a jousting tournament with real horses, awesome craft booths, mutton and turkey legs at one food station. Most of the lay people wore plain street clothes, which I thought was odd. At least make an effort. I wore a long skirt and tank top (it was hot) with a floppy felt hat to keep the sun off my face. I wear a lot of long skirts normally, so I was sort of half playing along. I saw some people squint at me like, is she part of the pageantry? There was an enchanted woods with people dressed up as fauns and fairies flitting about behind the trees. It ended in a gypsy camp. Fun! I went alone, saw what I wanted to see, and left when I was done. I don't usually go places like that alone, but it was good.
    I'm glad you had fun. I go places by myself a lot, even short vacations. Sometimes it's a little uncomfortable, but all in all I have a good time.

I went to something similar a number of years ago, but it wasn't nearly as extensive, not a full fledged "Fair". A local restaurant has a pretty good size lot. Large enough for a mini Fair. One time after going to the restaurant I noticed a Renaissance group had set up a something similar in the lot. There were large tents, booths with foods & wares & Renaissance entertainment (no jousting or horses), so I went over. I was quite creeped out by the whole thing.

There's something about people in costumes pretending they're someone else & intermingling with the public in character & not being themselves that creeps me out a lot. Yeah, I'm one of those people who are also creeped out by Clowns & Amusement Park Characters. I don't get hysterical or anything, but I'm very uncomfortable.

I left rather quickly, but felt kind of bad. Those who were there seemed to be having a lot of fun, like you did. Maybe if I would have been with a friend, my comfort level would have been better.

Regarding school days...my last day was June 4 and the official start day with students is August 4. Thankfully, all the classrooms have AC as that would be mighty brutal teaching in 100+ degrees in August. For me my challenge is not knowing my class dynamics very year as I teach special education and one student does change everything. That and attempting to cover 4 grades entire curriculums...lol. I love my job though.
    Punkin and Cootie like this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread