+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6956Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I just wanted to thank you all again for your prayers and good wishes for me and my cousin. I didn't post much about it this week because I was too upset to talk about it. I was notified Tuesday there was some glitch in the approval process and she could not be admitted to Assisted Living until it was approved. OMG. I almost lost it. Have you ever felt the weight of the world come down you and you have no where to turn? I prayed and prayed and got on the phone and made myself known with many phone calls and lots of information to people who don't know how to properly do their job...anyway it worked.......... today GREAT NEWS. She's being admitted on Monday! Okay...I'll hush now. lol

I was able to do some painting at the house my parents are renovating this week. Have you ever tried to paint inside a closet? I think my butt's too big for that. lol Is it just a guy thing or what. They Kiltzed and painted most all the rooms, but left the closets untouched. Isn't that odd? This weekend I'm planning to paint more closets. The problem is getting air ventilation and it's going to be in the 90's again today.
    I'm glad things are working out for the situation with your cousin. I'm also glad you updated us. I often wonder about the follow up/aftermath on situations that concern us FORT'ers. We're like good friends who don't really know each other. Odd but true.

As to the closet painting, my problem with any room painting is that I'm short. Painting is not for short people. Having to put up a stool or ladder & even then reach like crazy while being afraid you'll topple off, isn't fun. Then moving the ladder/stool every couple of feet & keep going up/down/up/down while trying to dangle or balance a can of paint is no fun either.
    I've never painted inside a closet. The ladder/stool situation would make it just awful.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Oh yeah. I'm not very short, but still I have to use a roller with an extender on it for the ceiling and high spots. I'm not going near any ladder. I can't afford a fall off a ladder. Still, you can't get the corners in a closet because of the angles. It's just too tight. This is an old house and the closets are quite small. I really think paying some professionals to do it would be better, except most of it's done now. I'm not sure it's worth paying someone to just do the trim and closets. This house is for my nephew and they're trying to keep the renovation costs down.

I actually don't think I would have had a problem with the process to assisted living, except for some misinformed people. I went online, got the info straight from the state's website, called the people in charge, got the exact info from them, then called the AL people and gave them the rules, procedure, the number and name of the person who would put it though pronto. They called them as I requested and it went through that day, according to them. I won't fully believe it until I pull out of the parking lot with her setttled in. Believe me, it's worth it to pay someone to do it for you. If I have to do it again, I'll do that. I expect that as her condition progresses, she will need to relocate to a Dementia Unit. It's sad, but what that means is normally it's a lock down unit, where people can't just walk out. It's for their own safety. I hope she can stay at the regular Assisted Living for as long as possible.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always thought that it would be wise to put an ID microchip in people who are going into dementia and Alzheimer's. I know it sounds harsh but, then again....does it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, it sounds harsh, but you have to protect them. Not all people with dementia can stay 24/7 in a lock down facility. I do know there are ID bracelets that have an electronic code that will alert the police where the located person should be returned. I'm going to get my cousin one like that. Hopefully, she'll wear it. She has a mind of her own though and could take it off and hide it. That sounds likely.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've always thought that it would be wise to put an ID microchip in people who are going into dementia and Alzheimer's. I know it sounds harsh but, then again....does it?
    I explained pet micro-chipping to my 9 yo daughter the other day and her response was "Why don't they do that for kids?"
    Doesn't that just open up a can of worms for a discussion about privacy rights!?

I do agree though that it's not a bad idea when a person is in a state that they could put themselves in danger. I imagine if some people tried to push for it, that some other people would be against it simply because it could be seen as a "slippery slope".

Oh yes. I get why people think it's not right to microchip people. It's a tough issue. If my cousin starts wandering, she'll have to go to a lockdown facility where the residents are not allowed to leave. They normally have outdoor courtyards where the residents can spend time outside, though. Sadly, wandering is quite common though. The person just doesn't realize they are going to a strange and unsafe place. No amount of warnings make a difference.

I think the whole microchipping people who could be in danger is similar to the issue of those child harnesses/leashes you sometimes see on young children in malls. Personally I think they are a great idea, but some people are appalled by them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

We have a teacher easily over 70 who is starting to slip mentally. She loses students' work, gives the same homework assignment 3 nights in a row, is always the last one to post her grades on the computer. She lives alone and doesn't want to retire because she doesn't know what she would do with her time. I wonder at what point someone (who? and how?) will have to make the decision for her.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think it's a great idea. My Aunt had Alzheimer's and was a wanderer. She did all kinds of very scary things before she went into a Alzheimer's facility and while she was there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Tiger Woods returns to the links next week!!!!!
    nennie likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread