+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7294Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Lots of good news here. Today was my last full day of the school year.(!!!!!!) The 8th graders were so bad (for the 3rd day in a row) that I decided I need a mental health day tomorrow. I have over 100 sick days I haven't used, and I was truly anxious and nauseous all day anticipating them today. I had to go to my "happy place" during their class as they challenged me, refused to work, refused to stay in their assigned seats, threw markers around the room, etc. Friday is a half day and I'll do a mini-Friday challenge. They have to do the project and win to get prizes, pretzels, or pickles. And they have to have finished this week's project to do the challenge. Once they're gone, we have a celebratory lunch with our team and then the rest of the day to get our classrooms packed up for the year. I finished that today, so I'll bring my Kindle.
    The other incredible news is that our principal (finally!) met with us and the horrible schedule we were anticipating is NOT the one they went with. Instead of having every student each week all year, they are going with a 5-term year for our team while the rest of the school operates on a 4-term year. I truly did not think they would go with that option, but it means we'll have smaller classes for fewer days. Yay!
    Punkin, CantGetNuf, famita and 6 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am blown away that your school year is just ending. Our monsters ended their year on June 6....that included snow days. They are back at it on Aug. 13 which seems to me to make for an abbreviated summer vacation.

I'm not surprised that your kids are crazy. Focusing at this time of year is, virtually, impossible. It's been a strange year, weather-wise.
    PGM35 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Our school year ends next week for the elementary students and the high school students had their finals and NYS Regents exams this week. But then again, we start right after Labor Day. I know in many states the students begin the school term sometime in August. And yes, it's hot. No a/c for the classrooms, either.

Where I live school let out May 23rd and they go back August 7th. Every year they tinker with the bell times and start dates. They tried the "go back after Labor Day" once but it just didn't go over too well here in Georgia. Because they're always fooling around with the calendar, some years the students have a longer summer and other times they (and the teachers) get gypped.

I applaud all you teachers, students today don't have respect for authority or each other. I subbed for a while and my last gig I was subbing for the PE teacher. The 5th graders were so bad that was my last time subbing.

Gut, at least you have the comfort of not having those students again next year!
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

The trouble is that someone else will get them next year, and the year after, and eventually kids like that will bring that attitude into the workplace & everyday life. That's the sad part.
    Where do big jerks come from? They were little jerks when they were young.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I am so glad I didn't go to public schools. My schools seemed a lot more tame. They were also, probably, a lot smaller and calmer. They believed in discipline. Back in the day, Catholic schools would start school in mid-August; public schools wouldn't start until after Labor Day. We didn't have a/c either and our uniforms, which we did not start wearing in August, were a high quality wool. Blazer and skirt. Of course, we got out in May while public schools were still plodding along. From what I gleaned from teachers around here, the public schools became jealous of our school calendar, and synched up with ours. They didn't like that they were still in classes while we were out in May. I don't recall it bothering us on either end of the school year, though it seemed kind of lonely when your public school buddies were still in school when you were out in May; we were ready to return in August, and I don't remember giving it a second thought.

Even though I refused to do my art final in the 2nd grade, we were brought along not to act like nutcases in the classroom even when there was something we didn't like. The nuns DID NOT PLAY, and the parents backed them up.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That last statement says a lot. Parents back up their kids these days, not the teachers. I almost never make phone calls home because parents are so hard to deal with. Our school year starts right before Labor day and ends mid to late June, depending on the number of snow days. But we also get a full week off at Christmas, in February, and in April.
    Yes, these kids will be someone else's problem next year, but they will also be at the bottom of the totem pole in the student population instead of at the top. That will knock some of the stuffing out of them. Peer pressure means more to a lot of them at this age than authority figures. And the seniors are physically fully grown, too.
    Just for the record, our town has devastating statistics about child abuse, single parents, homelessness, foster children, low income, etc. I always try to tell myself their home life might make me cry. School may be the safest place for them. There, but for the grace of God, go I. You never know what impact you're making on a child's life.
    Punkin and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    Count your blessings!

Very, very true. That fact was brought back to the front of my mind when I read "Finding Me", by Michelle Knight, one of those girls who was kidnapped and held for 11 years in Cleveland. It was quite an eye opener. She told about her extremely erratic school attendance record due to what was going on in her home, before she was abducted. Over all, it was a story about the triumph of the human spirit....but I don't know how.

Upthread, I mentioned these two little boys in my class in first and second grade. (I think they had already been held back a year for behavioral issues.) They were the only two hellions in the group. All the other kids were great. Those boys never did straighten out. I wonder if it was ADHD. They eventually dropped out of school. Both became very bad drug addicts. One died of it and the other went to prison for murder when he was 20 years old. You could really see that happening, even when he was a young boy.

Oooh, I may need to read that 'shay. Sometimes when I'm feeling sorry for myself, something like that is a real kick in the pants. One time, reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn pulled me out of a depression.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread