+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6256Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Kids today are getting worse and worse. It's crazy!

I think I get how some of it happens. Have you noticed how parents relate to their children today? They don't. They stare into their cell phone all the time. And the kids stare into theirs. There is no teaching, explaining, understanding, etc. At least that's what I see with my family and friends. The kids could tear the house down, but the parents wouldn't even notice since they are buried in their phone.

That is crazy gutmutter. It's an art project for goodness sake. I'd rather do that than sit there bored. How do they know it won't count toward their grade? My teachers and my daughter's teachers (graduated last year) all turned in their grades after school was over. I think if I were in charge I would grade that project, automatically giving an 'A' to any kid who even pretended to do the project without being rude and a failing grade for the rude ones!

Unfortunately our district sends the report cards home the last day of school to save postage. A lot of teachers have the students clean their classrooms and move things into storage and show movies. Shame on me for expecting them to work.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think I get how some of it happens. Have you noticed how parents relate to their children today? They don't. They stare into their cell phone all the time. And the kids stare into theirs. There is no teaching, explaining, understanding, etc. At least that's what I see with my family and friends. The kids could tear the house down, but the parents wouldn't even notice since they are buried in their phone.
    Don't get me started on bratty kids and lazy, incompetent parents. There were some of each in my museum today who worked my last nerve. They got the "teacher look" AND amplified "teacher voice" from me.
    BTW, the other museum visitors actually applauded (for me). Apparently, that family was working their last nerves as well.
    Debb70 and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Gutmutter - I can totally relate as my last week sounds like it was very similar. Sending some extra patience your way.
    Gutmutter likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Thank you JLuvs. I was seriously thinking of taking a sick day today. I have over 100 I haven't used. But our principal is FINALLY meeting with us this morning to tell us what our schedule will be next year and we have some strong suspicions it is going to be horrific. The whole team turns to me when it comes to scheduling questions since I seem to be the only one who understands the complexities from all angles. They were going to implement an unworkable schedule several years ago and I was the only one who got that it wouldn't work and why. It was very simple, really, and once I drew it out on paper from the students' schedule point of view, it was obvious. But nobody - not the other teachers or administration, or guidance counselor whose job it was to do the scheduling - had seen the problem.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, thinking of you and hoping for the best! I think the term is self-absorbed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Saw a news spot about Pantene's latest ad campaign focusing on the fact that women have a bad habit of saying "I'm sorry" a lot....as just apologizing for their very thinking and existence. It seems to be a way in which women are conditioned. I AM SO GLAD TO SEE THIS CAMPAIGN THAT IT IS NOT FUNNY!. I have always fussed at women about saying, "Sorry!", "I'm Sorry!" Why are you constantly apologizing, and then using the word "but"....? That is just a real sore spot, with me. An older gentleman attorney friend of mine told me, years ago, to never say "I'm sorry," because it made me look weak and submissive. I have always valued that little lesson taken from the "guy playbook". The more I thought about it, the more I understood what he meant, and started running my show in a different manner. The only way ANYBODY hears the word "sorry" from my lips is if I truly mean it....and you will not hear that negating word "but" following it. I definitely believe in meaning what I say and saying what I mean!

I hate it that I read the words, "I'm sorry, but...." on this site, so frequently. It's neither cute, endearing, "nice", or precious. Believe in yourself, and never be afraid to stand behind what you have to say. You just may find, like I did, that people begin reacting to you differently! Also, realize that it can be like any other muscle....you've got to work to strengthen it.

Last edited by prhoshay; 06-18-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Saw a news spot about Pantene's latest ad campaign focusing on the fact that women have a bad habit of saying "I'm sorry" a lot....as just apologizing for their very thinking and existence. It seems to be a way in which women are conditioned. I AM SO GLAD TO SEE THIS CAMPAIGN THAT IT IS NOT FUNNY!. I have always fussed at women about saying, "Sorry!", "I'm Sorry!" Why are you constantly apologizing, and then using the word "but"....? That is just a real sore spot, with me. An older gentleman attorney friend of mine told me, years ago, to never say "I'm sorry," because it made me look weak and submissive. I have always valued that little lesson taken from the "guy playbook". The more I thought about it, the more I understood what he meant, and started running my show in a different manner. The only way ANYBODY hears the word "sorry" from my lips is if I truly mean it....and you will not hear that negating word "but" following it. I definitely believe in meaning what I say and saying what I mean!

I hate it that I read the words, "I'm sorry, but...." on this site, so frequently. It's neither cute, endearing, "nice", or precious. Believe in yourself, and never be afraid to stand behind what you have to say. You just may find, like I did, that people begin reacting to you differently! Also, realize that it can be like any other muscle....you've got to work to strengthen it.

Agreed. My assistant does it and I actually started a "sorry" jar for her. Every time she said it, she had to put a quarter in the jar! She says it when she is really trying to say "I sympathize" or "I empathize" - so I told her she should say that instead!

+ Reply to Thread