+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6755Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks for those words Photobabe. It is very stressful. I won't go into the details. I've shared enough already. lol I have turned the circuit breaker off for her stove and dryer so they can't be turned on. I removed the electric can opener, toaster oven, all knives, scissors, all pills, etc. I have a plan of action regarding using her cat as bargaining tool and if that fails, I'm turning it over to social services.
    Punkin likes this.

Smart moves, Deb.

Once dementia enters the picture life becomes very dangerous.
    I think the hardest thing to deal with is the loss of cognitive thinking. Logic simply doesn't work with someone who has dementia. I hope all of us here are spared that horror.
    Punkin, Arielflies, Debb70 and 1 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Does anyone know how to wash a homemade quilt? I'm sure my cousin will want the quilt her mom made her with her. I know it needs cleaning, but I have no idea how to clean it. Do you dry clean?

I found this. Man, this sounds like a lot of work. How in the world would I lay it flat to dry? It's too large for any area I have.

How to Care for Handmade Quilts
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.

If you have a laundromat near you that has a large capacity washer without the agitator it should wash it just fine or if yours at home is large capacity and no agitator. It also depends on what material the quilt is made out of. Make sure it is the gentle cycle. You can have it dry cleaned but dry cleaners are known to wash them. You can dry it on air dry in your dryer too.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

You can also look into dry cleaner sheets for your home dryer. I use them for certain clothing items that have to be dry cleaned. They won't "CLEAN" it, but they freshen things up, and are gently.

I send my Duvet covers to the cleaners. I tried washing one and it was a nightmare to iron, plus it faded some. $20 is what they charge. I don't know the age or delicacy of this homemade quilt, but I'd leave it to the experts.

Interesting. I wouldn't want to ruin the quilt as it has sentimental value. I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks for the comments.

As a quilter....There is a detergent made especially for quilts, you can find it in most quilt stores or online. Wash on gentle cycle in cold water/rinse. Even though you are not suppose to, I have put mine in the dryer and dry until damp, then lay out to dry. DO NOT hang on a clothes line, it may become distorted. Most quilts were made to be used and are cleanable. I wash mine at least once a year.
    Punkin, inthegarden and Debb70 like this.
    There's no place like home!

I have a quilt (wedding ring for her marriage) that was made by her family for my Grandmother. I have always just washed in warm and dried in warm. Now, however, the apartment laundromat won't allow bedding in the washer so I'll have to find one of the large washers at a commercial place.
    captain and Debb70 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Okay. I'll see if I can find somewhere that can accommodate it. It may have to wait until this weekend though.

+ Reply to Thread