+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7294Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    "Hey, Sweetie . . . I was cleaning out my e-mail inbox and saw the confirmation from Amazon for the gift I ordered for you. According to the tracking, it was dropped off at your place on (DATE). Now the worrywart in me is working full-time, and I just want to confirm that you got it . . . rather than some lucky passerby who saw it on the porch. Please excuse my worrying, but it's who I am!!!! So excited for you and (FIANCE'S NAME)!"

(At least this is what I would send.)
    Aww, you're so sweet, AZ. I remember once before I was obsessing over something or other, and you took the time to craft a nicely worded response to whomever I was obsessing about. I think I even sent you a pm, asking if I could 'borrow' your words and you said, go ahead. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice response.
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.

Ooops, thought I posted my "cat" story in the "Animal Lovers" thread. Too late now to change it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Ooops, thought I posted my "cat" story in the "Animal Lovers" thread. Too late now to change it.
    If that's the worst mistake you've ever made, you're in good shape. LOL. I think we've all occasionally done an "oops" post to the wrong forum.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I'm glad you did. I rarely go in the Animal Lover's thread, so I enjoyed reading your story here. My f.i.l. was never an animal lover. Now he and my m.i.l. are obsessed with cats. My m.i.l. watches some cat show on cable 24-7. It all started when my son, who lives upstairs from them, adopted a stray cat. She wasn't feral, so he thinks someone abandoned her. So he took her to the vet, got her checked out and had his little routine with taking her in at night and letting her out in the morning when he went to work. Well, my m.i.l. felt bad for the cat when my son was at work and started letting her inside her house. Her floor is twice the size of my son's apartment in their house. The cat thought it had died and gone to heaven. Plus, she was feeding the cat expensive wet canned food and my son was giving the cat the dry stuff. She now prefers being at the in-laws to being at my son's. Anyhow, they have now started feeding a whole bunch of ferals who come to their back door every night. While I think that is very sweet, I was a bit upset a few weeks ago when they said they couldn't come up to their vacation home (we each have a home in the same community) for Memorial Day weekend, because "who will feed the cats?" meaning the ferals.
    Punkin likes this.

Get her a dry food dispenser made just for that purpose.
    I got a lot done in the garden yesterday. Today I'm going to be working mostly inside and am going to start Orange is the New Black season. I binge-watched House of Cards, but I think I'll take this one more slowly. There are a lot of holes in my evening tv time until Big Brother starts.
    Count your blessings!

Do any of you have any experience convincing a loved one to go into Assisted living? My cousin has exhibited some concerning behavior, but recently it progressed very quickly. It's now very obvious. She cannot live alone and needs to be there. It's very likely Alzheimers. Other things can cause dementia, but hers fits this condition based on what we have gathered.

There is no one else to help her, so I'm doing this alone. I've dropped pretty much everything a couple of weeks ago to address the matter and get her affairs in order. It's really heartbreaking.

Her doctor and I begged and pleaded for her to go temporarily to get her health back on track, as she needs meds, but can't handle that herself. I told her I would care for her cat while she's gone, but she still refuses. She is obsessed with her cat. I know it sounds cruel, but I'm going to have to threaten to take the cat away if she refuses to go next week. Everything is almost set up, but she won't budge.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice that might help. I've talked to the Memory Care facility people and they say they will work with whatever story the family gives.

What a tough situation. Is there a way to have a social worker involved, who might then be able to help have her committed to a care facility? (I don't know if this is even a possibility, but that was the first thing that popped into my head.)

Please keep us posted.
    Debb70 likes this.

I've spoken with someone at Social Services and she didn't seem very promising. I left a message with another social worker who works with senior situations and hope she'll have time to speak with me tomorrow. I'm also calling the senior center in her town, but I don't think there's a lot of assistance on this.

I really am not able to become her guardian. I do have POA and Healthcare POA, but that doesn't mean much if the person is refusing to cooperate. I have a law practice and two parents with health issues that I am caring for now. The amount of time I have already put into this is enormous. Her bills were all behind and some insurance was cancelled, so I'm trying to straighten it all out. What a mess. And it wasn't her fault. She was not able to handle it.

Dementia is a horrible thing. I never understood how much this can impact your family. Most of her relatives are elderly and the others refuse to help me. I can't get anything from any of them. She was an only child and most of her cousins are elderly. She's only 62 years old! I'm commuting 60 miles per day to make sure she has food and is okay at my own costs. I have to do something soon.

Oh, Debb . . . what a terrible situation for all involved. It's a blessing that she has you, but I can see that it's a hard situation for you.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Oh, Debb . . . what a terrible situation for all involved. It's a blessing that she has you, but I can see that it's a hard situation for you.
    She sees what is happening, but cannot let go. I hope I can convince her.

It's good for everyone to plan for their later years or incapacity, but what I often see is that when the time comes, the person will not allow the designated person to handle matters and make the decisions. They keep insisting they are okay and the designated person's hands are tied. Thanks for your kind words. It helps.
    Punkin, Gutmutter and AZChristian like this.

+ Reply to Thread