+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5956Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Friends of mine went away, and left their dog Xanda with a house sitter(s). They were very good, but one day he came home and the dog bolted. They think he ran into the river valley where there are coyotes. They looked for months, especially his owner. It scares me to leave the dogs at a kennel, OTOH I am scared something will happen to them while I am away if I don't
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I feel the same way about my cats. There are only a few people I trust (one of them is the friend I talked about above) to take care of my babies. Cats are easier than dogs - come in once a day and put down lots of food and water and that's it - but still. Mine don't bolt for the door, but you never know. I'd rather let the cats stay here at the house than board them. They're happier at home. I hear all sorts of horror stories about board & care places. I don't want to traumatize them any more than I have to.
    Punkin and prhoshay like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I know. I cry when I leave the guys behind. The kennel is always full( like 6 months to book ahead ) that's a good sign, I think. I also had my son pop in one day, and they didnt know he was coming, and the kennel was very clean. He managed a peek at the boys, he didnt want to upset them.He said they were sleeping on a blanket I left behind. I can feel myself getting upset just posting about it. Its strange, I don't like anyone in my home or bed when we leave either..god, what a mess I will be come January..LOL
    -Andy Rooney-

I have a great vet who also boards their clients' animals when they are out of town. They have a really nice setup for them & the pets get care & attention from people they're already familiar with. Dogs have a nice run outside & cats have 3 story cat condos to stay in with a view outside on the 3rd story.

Sure, you have to pay, but I feel much more comfortable knowing they are being well taken care of.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I have a great vet who also boards their clients' animals when they are out of town. They have a really nice setup for them & the pets get care & attention from people they're already familiar with. Dogs have a nice run outside & cats have 3 story cat condos to stay in with a view outside on the 3rd story.

Sure, you have to pay, but I feel much more comfortable knowing they are being well taken care of.
    We had one, but they stopped boarding. I don't mind paying where they stay. The funny thing is, they get them outside 5 times a day, my dogs are usually going 2/3. They also like to lay in, and they have to get up at 7.30 at the kennel. Sandy told me that my dogs are quite grumpy at that time LOL

I have always wanted a kennel of my own, because I know what I want in one. We got so close to buying one, and it fell through.
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've never boarded our dogs at a kennel. We've always only had one dog at a time, but every time we would go to check out a kennel, the pooch would put on the brakes as if she knew, and me being the softie I am would cave. When my sons were smaller and we would take more frequent vacations, I was lucky to have my dog either stay with my sister, a family friend, and once my in-laws even came over to stay. You can't do that too often, though. Once my husband's co-worker offered to take our dog for the week as he and his wife had been thinking of adopting a pet. He had a nice fenced-in yard and was a good guy so we said "okay." Well, he and his wife absolutely fell in love with our dog and were so, so sad when we went to pick her up. They eventually did get a dog of their own. Hubby and I have not vacationed now in years, since the kids are grown. We have a vacation home in the Pocono Mts of PA and go there but take the pooch.

Punkin, at least you didn't come home to a floor full of soap suds. When my eldest was in his teens, and old enough to be left alone for a weekend, we came home to find him furiously throwing towels on the floor. He put dishwashing LIQUID in the dishwasher instead of detergent. What a soapy mess!
    Punkin, CantGetNuf and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Well, I'm home from vacation and am spending the day watching all those DVR'd shows I missed while away.

In the "Should I laugh or cry" department: When DH and I go away for a week my adult (bi-polar) son who lives with us watches the house and cares for the cats. We often come home to a sink full of dirty dishes. Sometimes we'll call to say we are on our way and we'll find the dishwasher running, but still with some dishes in the sink. As we left this time I reminded him I left the kitchen clean and the dishwasher empty so he only need put the dishes into the dishwasher as he uses them. He denies that he always leaves a mess. It so happens I have been carrying a picture of my kitchen in my purse for a few weeks because I'm looking for a new fabric to recover the seats on the chairs in my breakfast nook. The main color in the kitchen is peach with the breakfast nook in pink and I wanted to find a floral pattern with both colors so I took a pic to find a fabric match. That gave me a chance for 'before' and 'after' pics.

Before: Attachment 29889

After: Attachment 29890

Strangely, the dishwasher is still totally empty. I think I'm laughing instead of crying, because I now have visual proof next time when he tries to deny we always come home to a mess. His excuse is that he thought we said we'd be home on the 6th. (Somehow that makes sense to him.) There was not a single glass or cup in the cabinet nor a single spoon, soup spoon, fork or salad fork left in the stainless flatware drawer.
    First let me say you have a beautiful kitchen and I know this isn't funny but I really did get a good laugh out of it. That would be something that would happen to me with my kid.
    Punkin likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

It took me 10 minutes to fill the empty dishwasher with the first load of dishes. There were no pots or pans, 'cause he doesn't cook, and there were no dishes because we left him with a bunch of paper plates. His excuse was that he was soaking the dirty utensils and cups so that they wouldn't be 'dirty' when putting them into the dishwasher. (To me this is akin to my believing I was Cleopatra in a former life. Magical thinking or poorly thought out excuse.) However the two sides of the sinks were filled almost to the brim with 'cruddy, dirty soaking water' with an ugly film that encouraged me to wash my arms up to the elbows with anti-bacterial soap after reaching down to undo to the stoppers holding the quagmire of 'rinsing" water from the sinks.

But, considering that was all of the physical labor I have done on my post-vacation day today, while I have been watching all the DVR'd stuff on my TV since away on vacation, I was happy to have the exercise! Such at it was. :>)
    PGM35, Cootie, nennie and 3 others like this.

To me this is akin to my believing I was Cleopatra in a former life

such a funny post I am glad you are happily home from your vac cay
    -Andy Rooney-

Omg I would have been livid. If I had found my kitchen in that condition the kid would need a new address lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread