+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

"Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains leak out" Steve Olberg

I haven't tried any alternative medicines, but then I've tried very few traditional medicines, either. There is a very broad, cross-cultural body of anecdotal evidence in favor of accupuncture and chiropractic medicine, so I would give them more creedence than (for a made-up example) some new-age pulled-out-the-butt proclamation that crystals can cure heart disease if you carry the right crystal in the correct pocket on the right phase of the moon, but only if you believe.

My ex-wife's baby got great benefit from going to a chiro. She noticed that the baby was a lot less active than her twin brother, and showed very little interest in picking up her head and looking around. The chiro did a very gentle massage adjustment on the little girl's neck, and afterward, she was able to do more active baby things.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2195560;
    MissKitty and Gutmutter, I agree with having an open mind. If you feel like your chiro, acupuncture and other alternative solutions help you, I encourage you to go. My husband went to a chiro for his neck problem, but it wasn't solved and I have been pushing him to try acupuncture because he has been suffering. What I don't feel comfortable with is sending a baby to a chiro.
    I agree with you, too. I only have my husband's experience to go on, but they did nothing for him.

I'm one of those old fashioned people who only visit a doctor when I need one. I saw a doctor for my arthritis about three years ago and an ENT about the same time, and those are my recent experiences. They were both good. Both of them were guys I'd known since they were residents.

I still say that it would never enter my mind to take a baby to a chiropractor. I don't care if they have a wall full of diplomas, accidents can, and do, happen everyday and I don't want my kid to be today's accident.

I would have to think that some chiropractors, much like some doctors, aren't particularly good at what they do and can consequently cause damage. There are the ones that you read about in the paper. The best way to choose one is through word of mouth.

My single experience with a chiropractor was extremely positive. I get nasty tension headaches that can last for weeks and my boss recommended his guy to me. That half hour spine and neck manipulation cleared up the headache immediately, loosened up the knotted muscle that I thought was permanently in place at the base of my skull, and kept everything loose and pain free for at least six weeks. Which makes me think, I really need to get in a visit soon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My whole family swears by chiropractors. So when I hurt my back at work about six years ago, I started seeing a chiropractor. She really relieved my pain for a while, but I had to keep going back for more and more adjustments.

When she finally took me off of work because I was in such bad shape that I could barely stand up, I decided to discuss other options with her. She grudgingly told me that maybe I should go for an MRI, but she didn't think it would do any good. Turns out I had a herneated disk.

It seems like chiropractors don't trust MD's and MD's dont trust chiropractors. Who knows? All I know is that I haven't had to go back to the chiropractor in almost five years.

(I do miss the neck adjustments though, because they really seemed to help alleviate my headaches.)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I have friends who swear by chiropractors. I've never been to one--never had any need or desire to go to one, but who knows--in the future> Maybe. Never say never, right? (Except when it comes to liver! )I have some friends, though, who don't have a pediatrician for their infant. They just take the baby to the chiropractor for every ailment. I have a problem with that, as chiropractors aren't trained solely in the care of children. I wish they'd take the baby to a pediatrician as well--just to be safe. But that said, their child is incredibly healthy, happy and well cared for. My friends are great parents. So who am I to say?

When my son was born (20 years ago), the thought of taking him to a chiropractor never even crossed my mind. Is this a new thing or was I just out of the loop? There also wasn't internet during that time either

I'm not against chiropractic care for adults or even teens but I would definitely seek medical advice from the pediatrician before using alternate methods for babies and young children, just to be on the safe side and to know what signs to look for should alternate medicine go awry.

A chiropractor injured my husband's back so severely he ended up having spasms. It took months of physiotherapy to put it to rights.

On the other hand, I love massage therapy - it's only temporary relief but it does help my headaches and back pain. But my friend's husband went to a massage therapist and she hurt him badly enough so that he couldn't walk without pain for a couple of days.

With "alternative" type therapies (meaning, no medication/drugs), I guess what really counts most is the practitioner, not the practice.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2195780;
    When my son was born (20 years ago), the thought of taking him to a chiropractor never even crossed my mind. Is this a new thing or was I just out of the loop? There also wasn't internet during that time either

I'm not against chiropractic care for adults or even teens but I would definitely seek medical advice from the pediatrician before using alternate methods for babies and young children, just to be on the safe side and to know what signs to look for should alternate medicine go awry.
    It's not new. I had friends who took their kids to a chiropractor over 20 years ago. I said before that I love my chiropractor and I go every 3-4 weeks, but I never ever thought of taking my kids when they were little. I wouldn't have taken them as babies either, their pediatrician's care was all they really needed.

We moved about 2 years ago - for two, count em two, years, I have been recieving calls for the person who had my phone number before me.
    One person was particularly annoying, calling over a period of days, with me responding over and over - "Tim no longer has this number"! She actually asked me where he went and what was his new number. Then got upset with me when I informed her that I had no way of knowing personal information about the person who had the number before it was assigned to me.
    This post by Cricketeen in the Pet peeve thread reminded me of a question I have. Since moving to my current house over 2 years ago, I have been receiving mail for the previous owner. Post Canada has a mail rerouting program that lasts 12 months and the previous owner took advantage of it. After that, I got some mail from the government that I thought was important and I called her up so she could come pick it up. Whatever other less important mail I got since, I would write Moved or Return to sender on it and mail it back. Two days ago, I received what seems to be a Christmas card from someone in Spain mailed to the previous owner. I feel bad putting it back in the mail box, but I'm not sure I feel like finding her number again and calling her after 2 years. What is your advice?

Put it back in the mailbox - return to sender
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread