+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6754Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am not sure where to post...(I don't come here often enough), but wanted to extend my wishes to all my FORT friends for a happy and wonderful Mother's Day!!
    Punkin, captain, Kip and 7 others like this.
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think there comes a time when you no longer want "stuff" for holidays. I prefer something getting done that I don't have to do myself. The last thing I want is something else to dust or move around!

I'd rather have a memory than a tangible!
    I'm at the point where I don't need more "stuff" too. I don't even need anything done for me. All I want is a card or phone call wishing me Happy Mothers Day. I like to be acknowledged. That alone makes me feel the love.
    A bonus is if one of my children spend some time with me that day. A visit, an invite over, or a simple trip somewhere local, like even to walk around the mall or walk the dog together.

Time is the best gift.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I still like getting stuff, but now it's very specific stuff. I don't have space to store things I don't need or really want.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like to give healthy, but unusual or expensive food gifts if I know a person's tastes. I have given a large container of sea-salted macadamia nuts (Kirkland) several times in the last year. I give my mom flats of annuals for Mother's day. I call a greenhouse local to her that makes deliveries and buy X-amount ($$$) of assorted annuals. She loves to garden, so it's a gift she appreciates.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I can't imagine losing my mom at an early age. I feel for those of you who did. My mom lost her mother when she was in her early twenties. It still bothers her so.

I know several mothers who do not get recognized on Mother's Day. I try to remember them. This year, I picked up a beautiful floral decorative box that has two linen scented soaps inside along with a little container of Gardenia hand lotion. I think they will appreciate being remembered. It's not something they have to keep and that will take up much space. And if they don't like it, they can regift it. lol

I'm off to church. I wish a great day to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Too bad you don't live closer, Debb. I am having a devil of a time trying to find something for a wedding I am attending in September. Since I had been plus-sized for the last 25 years or so, I have no idea what style looks best on me, having shed 110+ lbs. Not to get too graphic, but there is loose skin and my arms are super flabby. I don't think any amount of toning is going to help and at my age I don't believe the skin is all that elastic and will 'go back.' My diet coach says I have to give it 2 or 3 years to shrink back, but I don't think it will happen. Anyhow, it's hard to find a dressy gown ( it's going to be a very fancy reception) with sleeves. I have tried on cocktail dresses but I am on the short side, super bosomy and don't have the best legs. I am better off in either a dressy pants outfit or a gown. The mother of the bride, my cousin, said several women are wearing gowns, if that would help me out, so I am on a search now. I realize I have a few months to go before Sept, but I may have a knee replacement this summer, and if I do, I can't be worrying about dress shopping.

I'm glad your mother enjoyed your gift to her. My mom has been gone a long time now, having died very young, but I also seem to have a knack for buying my mother-in-law gifts that she likes.
    Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!! I too lost a lot of weight (120 lbs.) after being plus size for around 25 years. This was 6 years ago, and I still have loose skin around my middle. My arms aren't so bad anymore, but the tummy skin won't be leaving me without surgery I fear. So far, it hasn't been that big of a deal for me. If I had any "extra money" laying around I'd definitely get a tummy tuck, but it's really not that important to me.

My mother passed away when I was 29 and I always felt cheated, so I know that feeling.
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My sister and I couldn't be anymore night-and-day different than colors on opposing ends of the spectrum in a crayon box. This has always caused a problem between us, unfortunately. Of course, there are some similarities of a few values having come from the same mother. Stupid stuff...........I never got stretch marks; hers are hideous and pronounced. I'm about felines; she's about canines. She can be very "snarly", explosive, like TNT; I'm more easy-going, but I can bristle up if I need to, but it takes a lot. She has a very corny sense of humor; I don't see what she finds funny. She always thought of herself as athletic; I was blessed with more natural ability and didn't care. She likes crowds of girlfriends (sorority); I'm good with just a couple (too many people get on my nerves). She is the school teacher who admits to not liking children; I am the more scientific one. She's a lot less allergic than I am, damnit, and likes sweets and milk. She is a serious meat-eater; me...not such a big fan. I like old scary movies; she is waaay too spookable which I think is stupid.

I guess when she told me I was adopted when we were young, she may have been right! Or maybe SHE was adopted?! I guess I just had to get that off my chest today.
    ClosetRTWatcher and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I guess when she told me I was adopted when we were young, she may have been right! Or maybe SHE was adopted?! I guess I just had to get that off my chest today.
    Ha, ha, ha! That reminds me that when we were young my brother and I told our youngest sister that she was adopted and that her real mother was the fat lady in the circus and her father was a murderer criminal at Alcatraz. When our family would travel across the Bay we would point to Alcatraz and tell her to wave to her father. And she would cry. And we would get in trouble. But it was worth it! When I call her today to say Happy Mother's Day I'll have to remind her of her 'real' parents. Having younger siblings to torture is one of the joys of childhood!
    Ellen likes this.

My son lives several hours away but doesn't visit much. This morning he called to wish me happy mother's day and asked what I was doing today. I told him I was going to do some gardening and try to get my screen house up, but that it was really a two person job. He offered to come help and I said that wasn't necessary, but then I heard his car horn simultaneously over the phone and in my driveway. He had been at a wedding yesterday and stayed over with the other guests a half hour away and decided to swerve over to my house before heading home. He helped me put up the screen house and move all the furniture in it and then took off. What a wonderful surprise. My daughters called me at 2 a.m. from a club after going to see comedian Eddie Izzard live in Boston. Not such a great surprise. They do that all the time for my birthday, etc. I don't know why they think it's so funny to wake me up in the middle of the night.
    Punkin, famita, Critical and 5 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Ha, ha, ha! That reminds me that when we were young my brother and I told our youngest sister that she was adopted and that her real mother was the fat lady in the circus and her father was a murderer criminal at Alcatraz. When our family would travel across the Bay we would point to Alcatraz and tell her to wave to her father. And she would cry. And we would get in trouble. But it was worth it! When I call her today to say Happy Mother's Day I'll have to remind her of her 'real' parents. Having younger siblings to torture is one of the joys of childhood!

Oh, Punkin Pie......if only there was a razzberry smilie, I'd be sending it to you!!!! You elders can be torturous Meany-McPheenies!!!

I'm going to treat myself to some bacon and think bad thoughts about you people!

Happy Mother's Day!
    Punkin and captain like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread