+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5781Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Lizard - I had never heard of that, either! Is it new? Do many people use it? Is it a long-term option?
    I tried it years ago. The one I had was depo-provera. I'm not sure if there are additional kinds on the market now. Unfortunately it made me retain water like crazy and gain weight, so I gave up on it after 3 or 4 injections. I believe it can serve as a long-term option for people that like it.

ETA: According to wikipedia...
    ...Ultimately, on October 29, 1992, the FDA approved Depo-Provera, which had by then been used by over 30 million women since 1969 and was approved and being used by nearly 9 million women in more than 90 countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Sweden, Thailand, New Zealand and Indonesia.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 05-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I went to the bank and no one could explain what the threat was. I then called the headquarters of the bank and no one could explain what happened or even give me a time frame of when the threat occurred. I'm curious of course, if this person got my bank card no. and tried to use it. But, I can't accuse someone without proof.

What should I do?
    That seems hinky to me. It's YOUR bank account and they won't tell you what the red flag was? Not cool. I've had my bank cancel and then reverse charges because they thought the purchases were fraud.....but they were actually me buying textbooks on abebooks.com. I was furious because it delayed me getting my books for about a week. BUT, the bank explained why the fraud alert was triggered (lots of small charges for odd amounts). Why wouldn't your bank be able to tell you WHY their system flagged your account? That doesn't make sense to me.

When I was about 16, my mom and I had a (very embarrassing to me) conversation with my gynecologist. She basically said, "Do you need my permission to prescribe birth control for her? If you do, you have my permission." I wasn't sexually active, but she wanted to make sure I was protected. All that abstinence education did nothing but increase teenage pregnancy rates because it operated on the idea that they would ONLY teach abstinence. It's just not realistic to expect teenagers to not have sex. Sure, tell them that waiting is the best plan, but teach them to protect themselves in case they don't wait.

An old co-worker of mine just announced that her teenage daughter is pregnant and told everyone where she's registered for baby gifts. I just cringed. I can't remember how old her daughter is, but I think she's maybe 16. I guess you just make the best of the situation once it's happened, but it made me very sad. No girl who still calls her mother "Mommy" should be having a baby. JMHO.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh yes. You are torn when your 15 year-old loved one is expecting a child. Most of us felt that celebrations were not appropriate, since what happened to these teens was a result of them being neglected since they were not properly supervised. We stayed away from the shower and all the fake acting like everything was so perfect. When the baby was born I gave the baby a nice gift. We are now just hoping that the mother, who is still a teen, doesn't get pregnant again. She has been on the shot, but you have to get those renewed periodically. My 76 year-old, conservative and very religious father has even had a talk to my nephew about how to use condoms, every time. lol Never thought I would see that happen.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never been a fan of the pill since one has to be responsible enough/mature enough to remember to take it properly. The shot is a much more reliable form of contraception.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I googled birth control shot. (A shot that will prevent pregnancy for up to 3 months).

Children often times do not tell the truth. It is better safe than sorry.
    This is what my daughter chose. Remembering or bothering on a day to day basis is avoided. All you have to do is remember 4 times a year & show up for the shot. Much more reassuring for both the teen & the parent.

I still to this day have no idea if my daughter was sexually active at the time or was just at the point of considering it. That was the "no questions asked" part of it. All I knew was that she was ready to want birth control & I was willing to make sure she had it. At the time I first approached the topic with her I told her that I knew she would be very uncomfortable asking, but that I would be just as uncomfortable, so we both agreed that any further details were unnecessary for either of us.
    When she did ask, I brought her a few simple & short pamphlets about the different options & risks/advantages of each & told her I'd help her chose a method if she wanted. We both agreed on the shot.
    I then asked her if she wanted me to make an appointment with my doctor (& NOT go with her of course) or if she wanted to use Planned Parenthood. She chose Planned Parenthood because she felt it was a bit more annonymous & wouldn't be reporting back to her parents (especially her father). She asked me to make the appointment & remind her every 3 months.

Even though she was in her later teens, it was VERY uncomfortable for me & I'm sure for her too, but we tried to handle it in a need-to-know basis. I only knew what was necessary & she was comfortable with me knowing.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I remember that the IUD was the biggest blessing I ever had. I had a hard time with the "Pill" because it caused me to have easy bruising, which is a bad symptom. I'm glad they have better and safer choices now. But please remember Moms, there is a faction of the electorate that wants to take away these contraceptive alternatives from all women. Vigilance is needed to make sure your rights and your daughter's and granddaughter's rights are protected. There is no Biblical injunction against preventing pregnancy, yet conservative churches and legislators are constantly trying ,on the state level, to pass laws making birth control illegal. I think that birth control, available to all women, so they might have some real self-determination in their lives, is a gift from God in these times of serious World overpopulation.
    prhoshay, Ellen, Critical and 2 others like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    This is what my daughter chose. Remembering or bothering on a day to day basis is avoided. All you have to do is remember 4 times a year & show up for the shot. Much more reassuring for both the teen & the parent.

I still to this day have no idea if my daughter was sexually active at the time or was just at the point of considering it. That was the "no questions asked" part of it. All I knew was that she was ready to want birth control & I was willing to make sure she had it. At the time I first approached the topic with her I told her that I knew she would be very uncomfortable asking, but that I would be just as uncomfortable, so we both agreed that any further details were unnecessary for either of us.
    When she did ask, I brought her a few simple & short pamphlets about the different options & risks/advantages of each & told her I'd help her chose a method if she wanted. We both agreed on the shot.
    I then asked her if she wanted me to make an appointment with my doctor (& NOT go with her of course) or if she wanted to use Planned Parenthood. She chose Planned Parenthood because she felt it was a bit more annonymous & wouldn't be reporting back to her parents (especially her father). She asked me to make the appointment & remind her every 3 months.

Even though she was in her later teens, it was VERY uncomfortable for me & I'm sure for her too, but we tried to handle it in a need-to-know basis. I only knew what was necessary & she was comfortable with me knowing.

Your experiences speak to the great communication between you and your daughter. I think that is a huge part of the successful avoidance of unintended pregnancy. Many a parent could learn from you, but this type of communication is something that began between you and your daughter many, many years ago. You instilled that trust beginning at a very early age.

You.Go.Mom!!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

A) Depo shots are a very much a viable option these days. I was on it for 5 years, but I quit in December because (a) I have no health insurance, so it was costly and (b) I'm not seeing anyone, nor do I plan to. I'm one of the very few that didn't gain but lost weight on it. Other than the cost, I would have stayed on it because *bonus* (we're mostly ladies here and the men are adults) no periods (re: no industrial cramps)! I kinda hate the stigma that it got in the late 80s/early 90s as the "welfare" BC drug. It was one of 2 options I had with my high blood pressure issues. Obviously, I'm a hell of a lot older than a 15 year old, and having no human kids, I can't speak to the appropriateness of a conversation with a teen, other than I think the conversation should be geared toward the teen's emotional and intellectual capacity. But y'all know that.

B) Debb, while it may be commendable for your parents not to press charges against the check stealer, your bank should be able to give you more details on what happened with your checking account. It's been years since I had any study in it, but maybe check into Regs CC? OTOH, their system may have been hijacked a la Target, and they want to save face? Like Crit, I think they need to tell you what the heck happened with your account or roll it over to another bank.

C) We finally have rain! Last year, by this point, we'd had around about 40 inches from Jan to May, at the least. We were at less than half an inch for all of April. I'm sure it's mostly going to run off and mean I have to get out the mower on Sunday, but hey, maybe I'll get my fruit tree to actually grow this year.

Happy Mother's day to all! I know it's early, but I'll be working on things tomorrow and want to be festive before Sunday.

I just had to get a new check card because my bank said mine could have been compromised. Pain in the butt but better safe than sorry.
    Debb70 likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I'm going to push on the bank matter. I do know one lady with the bank headquarters that I have known for over 20 years. She was then with a branch near my law office. I'm going to call her and explain. If she can find out, she will. This is a business account and I have two with this bank. I've always had my business accounts with them, so I hate start over after such as long relationship.

Happy Mother's Day to all! I'm going shopping in a little while. I've already bought a few things, but can't find the main gift.

+ Reply to Thread