+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I usually go the polite route, but this guy kept reading script and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. Even though I know the call is probably unwanted, I can't help but answer just in case. That just in case helped me save my checking account and other information when a cash checking place in North Carolina called to ask if I would verify the check she had in front of her. Thank goodness I answered that call.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I don't get solicitation calls on my cell, but I used to get them on my landline in the days before the Do Not Call list. I'm amazed at how many sales calls my parents get every day and I made SURE they're on the DNC list. The canned line is always "I'm not interested AND I'm on the Do Not Call list, so please do not call again."

The most ridiculous thing I've heard from one of them is the old "We spoke in February about tree trimming services" when what we "spoke" about is us not being interested AND being on the DNC list.

The worst I've ever encountered is someone who called my parents' house right after we'd had a death in the family. My mother told the person they were on the DNC list and that we'd just had a death in the family. The guy actually MOCKED her and said something like "Really, a death in the family? All you had to say was you're not interested" and then hung up. I was FUMING. I made her hand me the phone and I tried to *69 (they don't have caller id), but it didn't work. I was going to get someone fired. I hope karma works itself out on that little s---.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The guy actually MOCKED her and said something like "Really, a death in the family? All you had to say was you're not interested" and then hung up. I was FUMING. I made her hand me the phone and I tried to *69 (they don't have caller id), but it didn't work. I was going to get someone fired. I hope karma works itself out on that little s---.
    Oh wow, yes I would have wanted to speak to that person and get him fired!!!
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I once got a call from a company I had already told earlier that I was on the DNC list. I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor, and the person hung up on me. Bad move. Very bad move. We all have caller ID now.

I called the number and it was a recording, but I played the "Press O until someone answers" game. Guess who answered? Yep . . . she who had hung up on me! I told her immediately who I was and assured her that she had made a very bad mistake in hanging up on me, because my name is Karma, and I was coming back to get her for hanging up. I said, "Now let me talk to your supervisor. Do NOT hang up on me again." She then apologized profusely, assured me that she would mark my number as a "NEVER CALL AGAIN" number on their list and asked me not to talk to her supervisor.

I cut her a break and agreed to NOT talk to her supervisor, but I reminded her that I knew how to get through their phone system, and if they ever called me again, I wouldn't be so nice.

They've never called again.
    Punkin likes this.

Wave as you fly over Kansas and I will Would love to meet but I live on the other side of the state.
    AZChristian likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Have any of you ever had this happen to you? Let me explain why I'm so curious for details.

Last month someone we know, I'm too embarrassed to give details, stole a check from my parents, forged their name and cashed it. It was discovered and the person admitted what they did. Shocking to say the least. My parents didn't prosecute. We have insisted the person get professional help. The incident occurred at a family gathering.

I didn't notice anything or think I was at risk, though my purse was there at that same gathering.

Fast forward a few weeks when I received a letter from my bank saying there was a potential exposure of my bank card and that they were immediately sending me a new one with new password. They did and I have activated the new one, old one closed. No money was taken.

I went to the bank and no one could explain what the threat was. I then called the headquarters of the bank and no one could explain what happened or even give me a time frame of when the threat occurred. I'm curious of course, if this person got my bank card no. and tried to use it. But, I can't accuse someone without proof.

What should I do?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Debb...the two could be unrelated. I've had several debit/credit cards do the same thing. They discover some security fault or another member gets defrauded so as a safety precaution, they cancel your current card and send you a new one. If this family member had attempted to use your card, I would think your bank would be able to identify that. Or maybe that is what happened and they have no way of verifying that.

If you are concerned that happened, I would suggest filing a police report and let them track down what kind of exposure occured with your card--if it was your card alone or a group of cards, if the breach occured locally or out of state, etc.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

We're on a no-call list. They broke the law by calling me so why should I be polite in return? For me it's sometimes a great excuse to blow off steam and be absolutely nasty, and sometimes I enjoy wasting their time. This only works if it's a real person. Such a disappointment when it's a mere computer on the other end.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Fast forward a few weeks when I received a letter from my bank saying there was a potential exposure of my bank card and that they were immediately sending me a new one with new password. They did and I have activated the new one, old one closed. No money was taken.

I went to the bank and no one could explain what the threat was. I then called the headquarters of the bank and no one could explain what happened or even give me a time frame of when the threat occurred. I'm curious of course, if this person got my bank card no. and tried to use it. But, I can't accuse someone without proof.

What should I do?
    First of all, bummer that this person who stole the check was so untrustworthy!

I agree that your card replacement could be completely UNrelated. My bank card was replaced a few months ago automatically after the whole Target security breach. I received a general letter saying they were replacing the card because it had been compromised. I don't recall for certain whether the specific reason was noted or not. I guess I'm a bit surprised that the bank couldn't tell you, but maybe they don't distinguish the reasoning once a card had been deemed compromised.

I definitely wouldn't confront the person in this instance because you have no way of knowing whether they did it or if it was one of these general retail security breaches that caused your card to get replaced.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm pretty sure that if I file a report they will require me to sign off on prosecuting if they find the culprit. And I'm not sure I want that person arrested. If they don't get professional help it's an option though.

Also, since no money was taken, I'm not sure it would get much priority. Which I understand since there are so many cases where people have large sums stolen. I'll keep it in mind though.

+ Reply to Thread