+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6375Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Regular

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Debb70, that is terrible. I can't believe she had a bottle in her car. Thank goodness nothing happened.

Coltnlasma-Thanks for your input. The hubby and I were just talking about making more of an effort with his neighborhood/soccer friends. Get them together on the weekend to see each other. So he doesn't feel so alone and like he has no friends. Friends at school are great, but really it's such a small group to chose from that it doesn't mean he is going to find his bestie in this "group of classmates". I keep telling him that this is just a small sampling of what is out there and he might not find a "good" friend in this group. So the question is ....is it bearable enough to stay and last 2 more years or bad enough to warrant a change. And you are right...girls and boys are completely different. My daughter is like a social butterfly. She is friends with "everyone" in class. Always asking for playdates, and has some really close bonds. I guess that makes it harder for me to see that my son doesn't have that. And you are right, two of his friends that go to the same public school say they don't have any classes together, but they meet for lunch and hang out afterschool. My son is def. missing that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am atrociously embarrassed for anyone who wants to buy that V. Stiviano (racist Sterling's jackass) face-covering visor. You, TOO, can look like a complete fool!!! I think it makes you look like you've got an ice bucket on your head.

Apparently, they are quite popular.
    I googled to see what it looked like. The little article had a quote that said "There are lots of people that don't want to be seen". I hope they realize it isn't an invisibility visor!
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    So, I just went and turned in a registration for our public school so that my son can possibly transfer. It is our Junior High and he'll be going into 7th grade. I'm so nervous that I'm not making the right decision. He has been going to a small private school. I love the community of it and the faith base, but for a faith based school, he has got some zingers for boys in his class. He just seems miserable. We haven't had what I would consider bullying he just doesn't really have any friends. He has acquaintances but not someone he'd consider a good friend. There are so many pros and cons. He'll know some boys at the new school that he's played soccer with and known since preschool, it's a bigger school so if there are boys who are jerks it will be easier for him to walk away and find a place to go/people to hang out with. But if he moves it will def. be a change to go from 70 kids in his grade to 200. The new school doesn't have that close community feel that his school has. Just not sure if it's right for me to ask him to hang in there another 2 years or just make the change. So hard....so not sure if we're making the right decision. Is it right for us to let him make the decision? Is that too much to ask a 12 year old? This parenting thing is so hard!!
    I wouldn't put the decision completely on him, but I would have a lot of discussions about the idea (pros, cons, expectations, differences, etc) and make the decision as a family. My son goes to public school, but we live in a small town so he has gone to school with pretty much the same group of kids since kindergarten (about 120-150 kids per grade level). He has a few close friends, but when her moved to fifth grade they changed to a new building and had new responsibilities and he ended up without any friends in his class. He was very quite and withdrawn in his new class. When I asked him about making friends he said "I know all these kids and I'm not interested in being friends with them". What can you say to that as a parent!? IMO, that's a definite down side of a smaller school.

Clearly I'm speaking as an outsider without ALL the info, but simply the fact that you said he is "miserable" seems like a change could do him good. It would be hard to ask a kid to be "miserable" for 2 more years. That seems like an eternity when you are a kid!! Can you talk to the parents of his soccer friends to get more information about the school and what they think about it?
    Kip and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    He was very quite and withdrawn in his new class. When I asked him about making friends he said "I know all these kids and I'm not interested in being friends with them". What can you say to that as a parent!?
    Wow. He had been giving this some serious thought to have given that answer.
    What a gift you have given him. You have raised him to be confident , independent and a forward thinker. It speaks highly of the trust between you. You in letting him make that decision and him in making it.

I would be willing to bet that you are raising and guiding a future leader.
    Brooks, ClosetRTWatcher and Debb70 like this.

I would have asked why he does not want to be friends.
    There's no place like home!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Where is his father in all of this? Sometimes boys need a man's input and can talk to them a little more easily.

Sounds like he's well on his way to manhood. He sounds more mature than you might want to give him credit for being. Admitting that can be hard for us mothers.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-06-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Alcoholism is certainly a horrible thing. A young mother in my county arrested for DWI while driving with her 3 and 4 year-old in the car. She was holding a bottle of vodka under her arm. Her alcohol was .33!!!!!!!! A .08 is the legal limit in NC. This was so close to being a terrible tragedy. The road she was on is very dangerous freeway. Speed limit 65-70 m.p.h. She was driving 35!

Mom facing DWI, child abuse charges | abc11.com
    I just heard a statistic on the news yesterday that said by far the largest number of children's injuries come from those they know - with parents driving while drunk with them in the car being close to the top of the list. It shocked me and is so sad.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I would have asked why he does not want to be friends.
    We did have that discussion. Basically he just didn't have common interests with them and didn't click with them personality-wise.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

For Gutmutter, Ellen, and all our teacher friends here at FORT.

Happy National Teacher Appreciation Day!

Punkin, Ellen, JLuvs and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    Those visors are popular in our city. I see a lot of people wearing them. I for one would rather just put on a baseball camp or a beach type hat!

So, I just went and turned in a registration for our public school so that my son can possibly transfer. It is our Junior High and he'll be going into 7th grade. I'm so nervous that I'm not making the right decision. He has been going to a small private school. I love the community of it and the faith base, but for a faith based school, he has got some zingers for boys in his class. He just seems miserable. We haven't had what I would consider bullying he just doesn't really have any friends. He has acquaintances but not someone he'd consider a good friend. There are so many pros and cons. He'll know some boys at the new school that he's played soccer with and known since preschool, it's a bigger school so if there are boys who are jerks it will be easier for him to walk away and find a place to go/people to hang out with. But if he moves it will def. be a change to go from 70 kids in his grade to 200. The new school doesn't have that close community feel that his school has. Just not sure if it's right for me to ask him to hang in there another 2 years or just make the change. So hard....so not sure if we're making the right decision. Is it right for us to let him make the decision? Is that too much to ask a 12 year old? This parenting thing is so hard!!
    The problem with going from a smaller school to a larger one is the big fish in the the little pond syndrome. If he has always made the team or been good at sports, he may not be good enough to make the cut at the bigger school. Then he is left with having to do the sports outside of school at clubs or paid events instead of school activities. Also, there are chances to walk away but there are also bullies in bigger schools, the devil you know vs the devil you don't. I grew up in a small town/small school and went to college in a HUGE town and it was quite the adjustment. What about high school? College? Are the steps there for middle school? Is the private school a better fit for him academically to move on toward the higher grades? Was he getting the help he needed in his studies? A few more things to think about. Good luck!
    nennie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread