+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5849Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    It topped out at 86 today and the humidity was low. When is this winter going to end!?!? Really, though, I love it and it should last another week or so. I can take my dogs out and not die inside of 3 minutes.

I don't know about you all, but I'm a huge fan of 48 Hours Mystery and tonight the commercial spot by the MD was about cleaning one's humidifier. I realize that's an issue for a LOT of people, but it cracks me up. I'm all "when the hell is it NEVER humid? People pay for humidity?" I know they do. When I was very young and living in NJ, we had a humidifier. Perhaps I should rent out my house? I'm not working right now and could use the cash. Humidity & snuggly dogs, anyone? We have AC too, so you won't die from heat.
    I'm also a big fan of 48 Hours Mysteries & noticed the commercial for another reason. I thought "Yipes! you have to clean those things that often?"

I have the answer to your bolded question.
    I've lived in many parts of the country & have experienced all forms of humidity or lack there of. I grew up in a couple of the Great Lakes States. I remember sometimes at 70* or lower, you could just sit or lie still & pour sweat. The less wind on a humid day, the worse it was. Dehumidifiers were very common. I can remember dumping that thing twice a day. The thought of a humidifier would be ridiculous. They don't call Minnesota "Land of 10,000 Lakes" for nothing.
    I've lived in Southern California right near the beach where although humid, the ocean breezes usually did a pretty good job of keeping the air moving & lessening the humidity. Open windows were usually enough to keep the worst off. Same with Washington State. Loads of humidity & drizzling rain, but the temperatures are usually moderate & same thing: close to the ocean you get ocean breezes. Both places also benefit from Dehumidifiers.

Now I'm in Montana where the air is dry. Especially in the Winter when natural gas heat dries it out horribly. I keep a large pan of water in my furnace for this reason, which I refill every few days in the Winter. Without it I'd be snapping everything I touched. Carpet makes It worse. Many people have humidifiers & use them regularly in the Winter.

Another thing is young children when they have colds or flu & their noses/sinuses are plugged up. A humidifier in a closed room helps them to breath & sleep better. They even make them looking like cartoon characters or cheery cute animals.
    Punkin likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Especially in basements, which get very humid and icky!! I live in MI and we have had a dehumidifier in our basements as long as I can remember!!

But yes, on the other side, in winter when the heat is on, it gets very very dry! We live with humidifiers in the winter here!

I generally have a humidifier going because it is so dry in SW Kansas. Rain would help.
    There's no place like home!

It is in the high 80's here in Oklahoma. We need rain. Our ground is dry. It went from winter to summer here. Not going to complain about the warmer temps though. I have my windows up and a breeze is blowing. Love it. It helps to that I live on an acreage and have open field around to get the breeze. We were brush hogging our pasture yesterday and mowing and cleaning around the blackberry vines getting ready for the harvest. We have our garden planted and hubs and I put the tomato cages around the tomatoes yesterday. We planted 12 and I sure am hoping for a bumper crop this year. I want to make lots of spaghetti sauce for the winter. My sister lost her job so we are going to can this summer.
    Punkin likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Me too! Here it is May and I have my furnace coming on because its that chilly still. So far here in Southern Ontario, we may have had 1 or 2 days since last month where the temp got above 60 F! Usually we have trees budding, tulips and daffodils blooming and warm balmy breezes--winter just wont let go!!
    Whenever I go to a museum or a place thats set up like a farm from the 1800's, I always wondered how the poor women of the era could stand being so over dressed and covered up! Talk about your burkas, women back then must have died with the heat in summer, esp with how hard they worked at home with no modern appliances or on farms!! Then again, since it was the norm and all they knew, they probably didnt give it much thought.

And I'll bet they smelled like nanny goats!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    We were brush hogging our pasture yesterday and mowing and cleaning around the blackberry vines getting ready for the harvest.
    How awesome that you have blackberry vines! YEARS ago, behind my parents' house, we had wild blackberry vines and the berries were divine. We'd even make jam out of them. I hope you have enough to make some great jam & pies.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    How awesome that you have blackberry vines! YEARS ago, behind my parents' house, we had wild blackberry vines and the berries were divine. We'd even make jam out of them. I hope you have enough to make some great jam & pies.
    My berry vines are wild and they have the best berries the stickers I don't like. Last year they yielded 45 gallons. I cut half of them down this past fall I just can't keep up with all of them and I still have this huge patch left. I make blackberry cobblers and jelly out of them. I also let a couple of friends come and pick them. I still have 13 gallons in the freezer from last year I need to make into juice.
    Kip likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

We have a built in humidifier. We call it Fog.

We drive 30 miles south every June to pick Olallieberries at Tom Phipp's Ranch. We make Olallieberry jam. Once every summer Safeway will have raspberries for $10 for 10 and we get a flat and make jam. We can't possibly eat all that jam, but we love to make it and year round have plenty of jars to share with family and friends. We are popular with the jam lovers!

I was able to open my windows about a week ago. I am still cleaning the dirt off my floors, tables, etc. The wind blew so hard and without rain it was DUSTY!
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I saw that same commercial and had to wonder about who needs humidifiers? Maybe in areas of dry heat? I guess there's a lot I don't know about.
    Here in San Diego during a Santa Ana. Temps in the 90s100s with humidity in the single digits. After this past week of daily nosebleeds? I want a humidifier.
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread