+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    My son has played in a few rec leagues, where the tournament is the final event of the season, and they've always played on regardless of weather or field conditions (just called play temporarily to wait out lightening)... it can become a total mud pit, but they know fields will be repaired between seasons. But - if your daughter is on a travel team, or if the location hosts games after this particular tournament, I'd bet the league will let you all know at least a day in advance if fields aren't playable. If she does play, take a change of clothes, plastic bags for the muddies, and lots of towels for your car interior afterwards. I love watching soccer - good luck to her!
    She is playing on a traveling team. She played traveling for the first time last fall, but it was more low-key. This is our first big tournament season. This particular tournament is at a HUGE facility with 52 outdoor fields!! The facility is high profile enough that I wouldn't think they would want their fields damaged, especially this early in the season. OMGosh, I wasn't even thinking about the fact that she's going to end up filthy. She has four games to play in two days. I was planning to bring lots of extra socks, but what the heck are we going to do about her mud-soaked uniform!?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In a case like this, I would make sure to NOT get the "pre-paid, no cancellations" (usually cheaper by a few bucks) hotel rate. Most places will cancel with no penalty if you alert them by 6:00 the day of the reservation.

That much rain? Can't imagine. But I live in Arizona.
    I booked with a 24 hour cancellation requirement. When I booked the room I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of a week of rain leading up to the event!

I'm hoping her practice tonight is on so I can talk to her coach about how cancellations usually work, or if they typically happen at all.

My parents live in New Mexico. While I love the dry air, I think not having rain for huge stretches might drive me crazy after a while!

We just finished a soccer tournament in which the game was called because of bad weather. The tournament continued after the storm went through. Our club books their hotels through an agency and we have to stay at certain ones so I would think that if this is the case then the hotel knows that tournaments can be cancelled because of bad weather and non playable fields. We played a tournament in Plano, Tx. last year and because we didn't know how far we would make it we had to book 3 days but could cancel the final day if we didn't make it to the finals. We had to cancel by noon though. This was Labor Day weekend. I ended up not being charged for the last day even though I didn't cancel in time.

Most hotels have laundry areas. Getting to use them is the problem because everyone wants to wash clothes. Most of you elite soccer clubs have great drainage for their fields. We have one in the Tulsa area that is wonderful. The one we just played.

We play competitive soccer so we travel a lot and our coach does lots of tournaments.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Most of you elite soccer clubs have great drainage for their fields. We have one in the Tulsa area that is wonderful. The one we just played.
    That is really good to know. This location advertises as the "World’s Largest Amateur Sports and Meeting Facility" and they have a pro soccer team that plays there as well, so I expect that their fields would be built to handle the weather. We are supposed to have clear skies both Saturday and Sunday, so this makes me a bit more optimistic!

I may have to scope out whether there is a laundromat nearby!

I know we have netti pot users here. I got one, but forgot the sterile water. The directions say I can boil water to use. Is that what you do or do you only use sterile purchased water?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We use distilled water. We buy it by the gallon for hubby's cPAP machine, so we have it handy. But the box says you can use boiled water, too.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Take it for what it's worth (and do what you think is best), but I just use tap water, add the salt and heat it in the microwave for about a minute. I test the temp of the heated water before I use it, of course. I keep it simple. 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt into 8 oz. of water/each side.

I switched to the Kosher salt after the packets that came with the neti pot ran out.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-30-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We have a second faucet that filters tap water and that is what I use, heated just a bit in the microwave.

I use hot water out of the tap and the packets of saline powder.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    That is really good to know. This location advertises as the "World’s Largest Amateur Sports and Meeting Facility" and they have a pro soccer team that plays there as well, so I expect that their fields would be built to handle the weather. We are supposed to have clear skies both Saturday and Sunday, so this makes me a bit more optimistic!

I may have to scope out whether there is a laundromat nearby!
    Closet the fields should be good then. The one we played in Tx. they had a professional team too so the fields were great. Most hotels have laundry areas but not on every floor.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I boiled the water. I went online and they are pretty serious about warning you to NOT use tap water without boiling it. Maybe it's a liability issue.

+ Reply to Thread