+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

And from our "I wish I could be a fly on the wall" department:

Hubby is semi-retiring at the end of the year, moving from management to a part-time position within the same company. Employee A (who works from home in Oregon) recently told hubby that he's selling his house in Oregon and moving to Arizona, and plans to work out of the home office. Since Employee A is not required to make the move, the company may help pay expenses, but has not committed to do so.

Employee B spoke with his colleague, Employee A, on the phone earlier today. A told B that he was selling his house in Oregon and moving to Arizona with his wife and kids to take over hubby's job. As he told B, "I've got this. But don't worry, when I take over, you and Employee C are still going to be part of the team."

Interesting, especially since Employee B already knows that HE has been selected as hubby's successor, but no announcement has been made to anyone outside of the home office. So A just told B (his new boss) that his job was safe when A becomes the new boss. Awkward when he finds out the truth, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I could use some advice from my lovely forum friends.

I'm going to be going to a convention in Tampa in June and giving a ride to some of my friends from the Council of the Blind. I'm not sure how much to charge them. I don't think it's fair to me to just have them divide up the cost of the gas between us. I think I should get something for my time and for saving them the cost of taking a bus or arranging other transportation. I don't want to overcharge my friends but I don't want to shortchange myself, either. Is there a way I can figure out a fair price to charge them?

To make things more difficult, I was planning on taking my car but one of the ladies wants me to take her van so we'll have more room. So does that mean gas money should go to her? If so, what do I get paid then?
    Current mileage rate for government reimbursement is $.56 per mile. So if the trip is 1,000 miles (round figures), you could claim $560 in business travel. Take that amount and divide it between the number of people you're taking, so if you're taking 3 people, they should each pay $187. If there are 4, they should each pay $140. Then they're paying all the car expenses (including gas), and you're paying nothing. Sounds fair to me. It's still cheaper for them than other transportation, but makes the trip "free" for you.

In this scenario, if you get 25 miles to a gallon, and you pay $4 per gallon for gas, your total gas expense would be $160 . . . so you could keep the extra as "reimbursement" for wear and tear on your car, and for your services as driver. Even if you take your friend's van (which would cost more for gas), you should collect all the money (UP FRONT), and pay for all the gas out of that fund.

That's just my thought . . .

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't see them going for paying $187 apiece! I just checked the price to take Greyhound round trip and it would be $64.00 if they bought their ticket in advance. I'm considering charging them $30 apiece, or they can pay me $20 apiece and then split the cost of gas.

I don't know. I hate talking money with friends. I don't want to cheat them but then again I don't want to be cheated myself.

I tried looking up advice online and a lot of people are saying you should give your friends a ride for free, just charging for the gas. So maybe I'm out of line to expect any payment.

The amount I suggested was based on a 1,000 mile trip, just as an example.

I've done fun trips with friends, and just charged for gas, but that is your decision to make.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It was time to leave work so I didn't have time to finish my post from above. Thanks for your suggestion, AZChristian. I appreciate it and will certainly think about it!

It seems to me that it would be cheaper for my friends to take the bus rather than hiring a driver. I don't know that I'd be able to get to Tampa and back on just $64 worth of gas. Gas is so expensive anymore, it's hard to make any road trips just for the cost of fuel alone, let alone hotels, food, tolls, entertainment, etc.

BTW, this isn't a trip just for fun. I'll be working on the convention, manning a booth. If it was just us girls going to Tampa to hang out, go to the beach, etc, then sure, I would only charge for gas. As it is, I don't really need to go to the convention. I'm just going to help my friends out.

Will you be on company time during the drive? If so, since it I not your vehicle, I would split the gas, unless you are being reimbursed.
    There's no place like home!

It's not a business trip so I'm not taking a state vehicle. It's a convention for The Council of the Blind, a service organization I'm a member of. I'll be taking time off from work to go to the convention and driving a friend's van.

How was the issue of paying you addressed when it was first determined that you would drive? Did you or any of them say, We can all chip in and pay her for the gas? If they did, then I think the numbers you mention above are quite reasonable. If no one said anything about it, then I would still assume that they would want to contribute. But, you never know.

I have seen things that you would never believe. Don't get me started on the people who say they will chip in and then they never do. I learned years ago to never volunteer to do anything like that unless I am fully prepared to pay all costs myself with no reimbursement. Some people are not reliable. They never mention it again. If I'm not prepared to pay everything out of my pocket with no reimbursement, then I steer clear of a group expense and pay my own way or drive myself.

I will say that when I ride with someone else who is driving, EVEN IF THEY DON'T MENTION IT, I offer to pay the full amount of gasoline and ask if that's enough. Some of my friends accept it, but most won't accept it. I know that's different from your situation, since these are not really friends, but fellow members of an organization. Different rules might apply.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Don't get me started on the people who say they will chip in and then they never do.
    I hate that.

My son has been off at college and knows a few people from our town that are out there as well. If he catches a round-trip ride with a friend back for a break (3.5 hours each way), we cover well over half the gas money even though the friend was coming back anyway. We figure for them it is just one round-trip, but if we have to go get him and take him back we would have to do the trip twice!!

I've driven them to a convention before and honestly, I don't remember what they paid me last time. I just asked them to suggest a price they should pay per person and went with that. I didn't calculate if I came out ahead or behind after paying for gas. I guess I might so the same thing this time and then keep track of my expenses so I'll know for next year if I need to ask for more than what they offered.

+ Reply to Thread