+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6452Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had chalked it up to allergies at the time, so I didn't go to see a doc for quite a while. I finally got to the doctor when I was coughing so hard that it felt like I was going to cough up a lung and I started wheezing.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

AZ, Apparently I had an adenoidectomy when I was a wee, wee one and don't remember. I was around 10 or so when I had my tonsils removed and one of them did grow back, but so far no problems.

I feel for those of you suffering with colds and allergies. I probably shouldn't jinx myself but I rarely get them. I do, however, have a nose that is so stuffed and so clogged that my first foray into using the Neti pot was unsuccessful. I could not get the water to go through. I think a big problem is that I have a deviated septum. It runs in the family. Every Spring I used to get so stuffed and then my sinuses would get infected. I'd get a high fever out of nowhere, which would be diagnosed as a sinus infection. The doctor would prescribe an antibiotic and it would clear up. 16 years ago we moved here and knock on wood, I haven't had another sinus infection. But this stuffed nose is just awful. I can't smell a darn thing, except the hyacinth my son gave me for Easter was so fragrant that I did smell that at least.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Bronchitis is the worst, and I usually get it every winter. Most times it gets me January or February but last year it came early--in December. My grandma on my dad's side had a long history of respiratory problems (bronchitis and emphysema) so I would assume my health problems are at least partly inherited. I hate that feeling when you cough so much, your whole throat feels raw and your chest aches from coughing. I try to resist the urge to cough and take cough syrup, cough lozenges, stay hydrated, etc. but I can't stop it. I usually end up on a few prescription medicines and inhalers to clear it up.

From your further description, Debb, it sounds like it could be allergies. Have you ever gone in for an allergy test? Are you on a nasal decongestant to get rid of the drip that's causing you to cough? Nasal sprays do wonders for me when I have a sinus headache or postnasal drip. There have been times that I thought I was coming down with a cold or sinus infection and a few days on an over-the-counter nasal decongestant cleared it right up. I usually give that a try now before scheduling a doctor visit when I think I'm getting sick.

I hope you get well soon!!!
    Last edited by pikachu; 04-28-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If anyone has a history of high blood pressure, they should not take anything with a -D in the name. Claratin-D, Zyrtec-D, etc. It will drive your blood pressure through the roof. Dangerous.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    If anyone has a history of high blood pressure, they should not take anything with a -D in the name. Claratin-D, Zyrtec-D, etc. It will drive your blood pressure through the roof. Dangerous.
    And therein lies my problem.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You can get meds without the -D. That is also why the neti pot can be such a blessing. I take the regular Zyrtec......no -D. There is regular Claratin, etc. Talk to the pharmacist...a wonderful guide. We do not have to have "-D" meds. I am pretty happy with the prescription nasal spray, Fluticasone. You just have to remember to rinse your mouth out after you use it, or you may get the nasty white patches on your tongue and in your throat. Most unattractive!

Symptom relief is doable!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm steering clear of decongestants, but I don't think I need them. I'm breathing okay. I'm properly draining and that's the problem. It runs down my throat and then suddenly it's like a sharp stick in my throat and my coughing hits hard.

NEVER MIND what I said earlier. I had two more recent coughing episodes and I don't intend to put up with many more of those. Regardless of what it is, I need more than over the counter. I just made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.

Maybe they won't do much, but at least I can perhaps get something stronger for coughing.
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-28-2014 at 04:32 PM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just made an appointment . . . hubby and I are going to Glamour Shots this weekend. They'll do my hair and makeup and take lots of photos. HOPEFULLY, we'll get something worthy of our 50th anniversary official photos.
    Punkin, shyra, inthegarden and 1 others like this.

We'll need pictures!!
    AZChristian likes this.

Sounds like fun!
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread