+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5904Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I guess you'll see me & AZChristian standing outside our respective courthouses with anticipatory grins on our faces.
    That happened here, and I was nowhere around
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I guess you'll see me & AZChristian standing outside our respective courthouses with anticipatory grins on our faces.
    Hmmm . . . there IS a bench in a shady spot right near the juror entrance. Maybe I should take a book and sit there. ;-)
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    A few years back, my sister got grand jury duty in NYC. It was in the summer, so her teaching load was light and she could choose the afternoon shift as opposed to the morning. It was daily for a month. With her teaching schedule, it was a PITA, but it didn't really interrupt her job. I just can't imagine how a regular 9 to 5 worker, let alone an hourly employee could swing that without serious interruption to their lives. NYC grand jury duty paid better than most, but not even minimum wage, plus no one was paid until months after their time was done. I don't know how any of this serves anyone in a jury trial...I don't want people who are pissed off to be there deciding my fate. OTOH, that could account for all the weird outcomes I see on shows like Dateline & 48 Hours.
    Wow, only a month? In the county where I lived, it was a YEAR! IIRC, you had to commit like 18 hours a month to it for a whole year. I couldn't imagine who had time for that, aside from retired folks.

I'm very glad that being self-employed allows me to get out of jury duty. Depending on the time of year, it could seriously impact, my business to lose that much work time. I think we just have such a HUGE juror pool in this city that they can afford to have that policy. Once when I had to actually go to the courthouse, my group ended up being sent home after lunch because they had too many jurors that day.

I loved the story a while back about Tom Hanks quietly reporting for jury duty. He got empaneled on a jury and everything....and then a young DA (I think) blew it by speaking to him and thanking him for serving, thus causing grounds for a mistrial
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My federal grand jury was pretty time consuming. I was a university student, but I was getting burnt out as I had a job while going to college. My financial aid had been cut off so I had to work more hours. I ended up taking a year off of college and my job had flexible hours so I was able to do okay financially. It was a great learning experience and I could travel to stay with my parents for a .25 bus fare so I could pocket the 40.00 lodging and travel money they gave me. I got a ride with a lady who lived north of me so the travel was cheap, too. Some of the cases we worked on involved some very well known politicians and celebrities. There was lots of fraud and other big criminal activity going on in the mid 70's.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

WISHING ALL WHO CELEBRATE A MOST JOYOUS EASTER!
    Punkin, Ellen, waywyrd and 6 others like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Adorable!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

Our local weather forecaster's trivia question for the day was what percentage of people eat the ears first. Turns out it's only about 75% because lots of people start with the tail. I don't think I know any of those people. ;^)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That's funny, Brooks. I'd assume the percentage for 'ears first' would be higher as well.

I can't remember the last time I ate a chocolate bunny.
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Most of them are the cheap chocolate and I can't stand them.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread