+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7214Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I was on a Federal Grand Jury when I was 19 and it lasted for 18 months! Each term was 6 months long and we had some very big cases so it was very interesting. I was the lone hippie college student on the jury. The courthouse was in Los Angeles and I lived 100 miles away so would serve for two days a week for that year and a half. It sure opened my eyes to how the world operates as we investigated some big industries who were operating fraudulently and there was even some gun smuggling out of the country!

I have never been on a jury since, but last year I had to call in for the Circuit Court every day in March and then for the City Jury in June. I was never summoned to come in. I don't think I would mind serving if I was called again, but the attorneys might not like some of my answers.
    That would fascinate me, Cootie. I love anything to do with the courtroom, and find nothing boring.
    Cootie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I got called for Grand Jury duty years ago, but couldn't do it as I was in college. IIRC, it was a pretty big time comittment and I couldn't predict my schedule beyond the end of the current semester.

Any time I've actually had to GO to the courthouse, I got excused before ever making it into a courtroom. Most of the time, I called in and my juror group is excused the night before. Sadly, I have to turn in my "Hey, I'm a business owner, so I can't serve" paperwork in person. Kind of a pain, but better than losing a ton of time serving on a jury.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: jury duty --
    I'd love to be on a jury if I could afford it. The lousy $10 - $15 per day doesn't cut it. (No compensation from part-time employer for time off for jury duty.)
    That, and canceling tutoring sessions for the duration of a trial would mean death for my freelance business (a significant part of my income).
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-17-2014 at 03:55 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just had to share what I have just read. My mouth is still hanging open.

Pregnant Woman Died After Wrong Organ Removed - Maria De Jesus had appendicitis, but her right ovary was taken out
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Very scary........A doctor that was too embarrassed to admit that he did not know what the appendix looked like and would just cut anything out. And there are probably a lot others around like that.
    You can do it!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How awful! An ovary and appendix don't have the same shape or texture, though I don't know what an inflamed appendix looks like. Not at all surprised that this happened at the NHS though. Seems like there's a horror story a week coming out of it.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Back to jury duty...around here, being self-employed doesn't get you out of jury duty, you're still expected to serve. A friend who's an architect (solo practice) was in the middle of a job, and he still had to serve (he tried hard to get out of it).

The one time I made it to the voir dire stage, a woman in my group worked at an hourly job with no benefits. She was barely making enough to get by. She told the judge that she wouldn't get paid for days spent on the jury (the trial was supposed to last a week) and wouldn't have enough money to pay her rent. The judge gave her a lecture about having to make sacrifices and the duties of being a citizen. I then got kicked out. I don't know if she ended up on the jury or not, but I can't imagine how a person in that situation could focus on the case when they would be resentful about being there and worried about paying their rent.

The husband of a friend was once a juror on a 3-week trial. He was an engineer who worked for a company. He went to court during the day, then went to his office from court to put in his 8 hours there.

Retirees, government workers, and the unemployed are understandably overrepresented on juries. I supposed that's one good thing about a high unemployment rate - more potential jurors!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

A few years back, my sister got grand jury duty in NYC. It was in the summer, so her teaching load was light and she could choose the afternoon shift as opposed to the morning. It was daily for a month. With her teaching schedule, it was a PITA, but it didn't really interrupt her job. I just can't imagine how a regular 9 to 5 worker, let alone an hourly employee could swing that without serious interruption to their lives. NYC grand jury duty paid better than most, but not even minimum wage, plus no one was paid until months after their time was done. I don't know how any of this serves anyone in a jury trial...I don't want people who are pissed off to be there deciding my fate. OTOH, that could account for all the weird outcomes I see on shows like Dateline & 48 Hours.

When I was younger I got the summons, but they never called my group. A few years ago I got called for the first time in MN after about 13 years living here. They actually called my group and I had to go down to the courthouse for 2 consecutive days and sit in a room ALL DAY LONG waiting. It was SO boring. When they excused us at the end of the second day the prosecutor came in and explained that it was a case where the threat of having people ready to come in to sit on a jury was enough to make the guy settle.

NorwIndian - I'm glad to hear that your daughter is seeing a therapist and is working with one she likes. I would definitely think that she may feel free to open up more about her true feelings to someone who is removed from the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    One thing some may not know about jury duty....If a jury is needed and not enough prospective jurors show up (as ordered), the Sheriff is mandated to go out in the public and select people to serve. The Sheriff can randomly select a person off the street. The person would have to serve as long as he/she met the requirements.
    I guess you'll see me & AZChristian standing outside our respective courthouses with anticipatory grins on our faces.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread