+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5956Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

How on earth do I get picked for jury duty so often when so many of you have never been? I almost always get chosen, but it's always been civil/traffic stuff. We have to show up in a big group, stand up in court and give our names, marital status, and job. I had to be foreman once and didn't enjoy that, but it is sort of fun to serve. I would never want to be on a criminal case like mentioned above, though. That's horrible.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Nowadays, when you get the summons here in Maricopa County, you log into the website and enter the jury number you were assigned. Then you fill out a questionnaire online . . . even though it's a waste of time for those of us who are released before showing up.

I've SEEN the courthouse, but have never been in it. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Nowadays, when you get the summons here in Maricopa County, you log into the website and enter the jury number you were assigned. Then you fill out a questionnaire online . . . even though it's a waste of time for those of us who are released before showing up.

I've SEEN the courthouse, but have never been in it. Yet.
    Well that's a cool way of doing it...
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Most times I have been summoned for jury duty I have phoned the night before and been told I was not needed. But one time I actually got on a jury. As and alternate. I sat on the two day jury and had an absolutely positive judgment that the perp was guilty. But, I was an alternate. So it didn't matter what I thought. The case involved a guy who was charged with DUI. He had lied at the time to the arresting officer saying he had been at a certain restaurant, but that restaurant was always closed on Mondays, the day of the offense. The defendant's lawyer tried to gloss over the lies by saying the DUI testing machine was defective. When the time came for rendering a verdict I was excused. Crap! I had an opinion and I could not deliberate with the other jurors. I was so upset that I called the DA the next day and asked what the verdict was. He said that he had never had this happen before, but it was a hung jury because 4 jurors couldn't decide one way or the other. What! I knew the jerk was guilty! First of all, no one pays big bucks to an attorney to defend against such a well documented DUI charge if it is his first one. You need a good lawyer if this is your second or third (or more) offense. I asked the DA if this was his first offense. He said he couldn't reveal that as it was not allowed to be entered into the arguments at court. (In other words, No!.) Had I been allowed to deliberate with the other jurors I think I could have swayed the 4 holdouts that the "breathalyzer" argument was a smoke screen and that the liar was guilty. The DA told me he wished I was on the jury, but now he had to decide whether to go at him again, considering the cost to the county for another trial. How frustrating!

In my city they can call your for jury duty every 18 months, which is how often I get a summons. Like clock work. I'm lucky that I can get out of it because I own my own business and it's my sole means of support. If I can't work, I lose money. I have had to report a few times in the past (when I worked a salaried job), but I never made it into a courtroom. Happily.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Two years ago I served as an alternate - took my cane through security and into the jury box. I received another summons (Orange County, CA seems to need a lot of jurors) only this time with my health problems, my doctor wrote me an excuse on a prescription slip and I mailed that in with my summons. The summons is for next week, so we'll see if the Sheriff comes knocking on my door.

NorwIndian - my thoughts are with you in your frustrating recovery period and with you daughter. I have no experience to relate, but I'm reading many good pieces of advice. I'm happy to read that she has taken one of them and the first step. All the lawyer and financial advice seem sound as well. She will need to prepare for his reaction when he sees that she is developing a stronger personality. Best of wishes and thoughts sent in her direction.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

One thing some may not know about jury duty....If a jury is needed and not enough prospective jurors show up (as ordered), the Sheriff is mandated to go out in the public and select people to serve. The Sheriff can randomly select a person off the street. The person would have to serve as long as he/she met the requirements.
    There's no place like home!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

In my county, they can call us every 12 months if we don't go in (when we call the night before and find out we're not needed). If you actually go in to the court house, then you're off the jury rolls for two years. I always thought they should let people opt to be called more frequently if they want to. When I retire in a few years, I probably wouldn't mind being called in more frequently.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Kip, I looked into "volunteering" for jury duty, but in our state they have determined that a random jury of one's peers can not be made up of people who actually WANT to serve. They're probably afraid of getting too many people like me . . . who spend way too much time watching real life murder stories on Dateline, etc.

I was on a Federal Grand Jury when I was 19 and it lasted for 18 months! Each term was 6 months long and we had some very big cases so it was very interesting. I was the lone hippie college student on the jury. The courthouse was in Los Angeles and I lived 100 miles away so would serve for two days a week for that year and a half. It sure opened my eyes to how the world operates as we investigated some big industries who were operating fraudulently and there was even some gun smuggling out of the country!

I have never been on a jury since, but last year I had to call in for the Circuit Court every day in March and then for the City Jury in June. I was never summoned to come in. I don't think I would mind serving if I was called again, but the attorneys might not like some of my answers.
    Kip likes this.

+ Reply to Thread