+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7201Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Both of my daughters have gotten letters for jury duty lately and they've long since moved away. You have to let them know that and you're off, but one daughter missed the original letter and now they've called her for a specific date and she lives two hours away. I hope she can still get out of it. She doesn't have a car and I'd have to pick her up at the train station and get her back to it (4 hours total driving time). I've only been called twice. Once they didn't need me when I called the night before, and once I was supposed to show, but someone (Gerald Ford?) died and all courts were closed for the day.
    I've heard you can have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) if you serve on a jury for a horrific crime because of all of the detailed evidence presented.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 04-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

In AZ, they have counseling available if you need it after being on certain trials.

Hubby has been on a couple of juries, and was even foreman once. Nothing terrible exciting, but an interesting process nonetheless. On one trial, they knew the guy was guilty, but the prosecutor was so poor that they had to find the defendant not guilty based on the evidence.

I've never had a desire to do jury duty. I've always been able to get out of it. I haven't been called up in years. The last time was at the end of my dad's life and he needed my constant care. I wasn't able to leave his side for too long. He got really bad towards the end and he would have panic attacks if I wasn't there.
    They haven't called on me since.

My daughter had her first counseling session. After just one visit, I can see more strength in her eyes. She's going to go weekly for the time being. She really liked the therapist. I think a lot of what he said really got through to her.

Thanks again my friends. I'll be back as soon as I'm able to join in more.
    Take care everybody.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

I was called for jury duty about 5 years ago but my mother had alzheimers and I was seeing got her and got out of it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In AZ, they have counseling available if you need it after being on certain trials.

Hubby has been on a couple of juries, and was even foreman once. Nothing terrible exciting, but an interesting process nonetheless. On one trial, they knew the guy was guilty, but the prosecutor was so poor that they had to find the defendant not guilty based on the evidence.
    Oh yes. We recently had a murder trial near Wake County where the defendant was convicted of torturing, sexually abusing, and murdering a 4 year old little girl! She had multiple broken bones and over 66 human bite marks all over her body. Doctors, police, etc. cried as they testified. I felt so sorry for that jury. I can't handle stuff like that. It made me ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh yes. We recently had a murder trial near Wake County where the defendant was convicted of torturing, sexually abusing, and murdering a 4 year old little girl! She had multiple broken bones and over 66 human bite marks all over her body. Doctors, police, etc. cried as they testified. I felt so sorry for that jury. I can't handle stuff like that. It made me ill.
    Oh good lord. How can anyone not want to have him in jail, or worse !! 66 bites? WTH?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I only made it to pre-trial questioning once and the DA kicked me off. Most times, like AZ Christian, I call the evening before and find out that the cases have been settled and I'm not needed. Or I show up at 9 am and am released within an hour or two because the cases get settled. My husband has never been chosen for jury duty either. My daughter was on a jury once - a fight between two homeless men. A couple of weeks ago, she was nearly selected as an alternate on a child endangerment charge. The defense attorney asked her something like would she be able to find someone guilty even if no harm came to the children. When she answered yes, the defense attorney kicked her off. My oldest son was on a jury when he was 19. He's 35 now and hasn't been on another. My other son has moved states so often and lived out of the country for several years, so he hasn't been called in years.

I'd like to be on a jury sometime. But I'd like it to be either a civil case, or a case where the evidence is pretty clear cut. I've followed a lot of missing persons / crime cases over the years, and my conclusions about what happened are generally right. But there have been two or three cases where the circumstantial evidence all points at a specific person, and that turns out to be wrong.

NorwIndian, that's great that your daughter is seeing a therapist. As wonderful a mother as you are, it's likely your daughter will be able to let more out with a therapist that with you.
    NorwIndian likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh my gosh. I'd be physically ill as well if I had to sit on a jury like that. My husband was once on a Grand Jury; the case involved a married couple, who were not from NYC but somewhere in the Midwest and living in NYC. The husband killed their infant son and fed him to the dog. My mind is fuzzy on the details b/c honestly I think I blacked it out. I had read it in the paper when it happened and then a bit later when the Grand Jury was convened my husband and the rest of the jurors had to agree to have the case brought to trial, which of course they did. I remember being horrified when he told me the details, which he wasn't supposed to do, but did anyway, after the fact. I seem to remember something about the death being accidental (maybe he was shaking the crying child?) but then when the baby died he fed him to the dog. Oh my word, I can't even begin to understand the depravity of some members of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Oh my gosh. I'd be physically ill as well if I had to sit on a jury like that. My husband was once on a Grand Jury; the case involved a married couple, who were not from NYC but somewhere in the Midwest and living in NYC. The husband killed their infant son and fed him to the dog. My mind is fuzzy on the details b/c honestly I think I blacked it out. I had read it in the paper when it happened and then a bit later when the Grand Jury was convened my husband and the rest of the jurors had to agree to have the case brought to trial, which of course they did. I remember being horrified when he told me the details, which he wasn't supposed to do, but did anyway, after the fact. I seem to remember something about the death being accidental (maybe he was shaking the crying child?) but then when the baby died he fed him to the dog. Oh my word, I can't even begin to understand the depravity of some members of the human race.
    I can never understand hurting a child .We had case here, married couple, kept their twins in their car seats. When they went in to rescue them they thought they were only months old, they were three years old and weighed mere pounds. They starved them and left them in their filthy diapers. I hope to god they are never allowed to have children again.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

NorwIndian - I'm so glad your daughter got to see a therapist, and that the therapist was someone she clicked with. Thinking good thoughts.
    I've only got called for jury duty once. The way they do (or did - it's been a while) it here is that they call you for a period of five days and you go sit in a big room. They divide you into groups/panels and every now and then a panel gets called to a room to get selected for a jury. I never made it out of the first room as my panel was never called. I was glad. I don't think I'd be good as a juror. Court trials are not as exciting as on tv and I just know that my mind would wander. I don't want someone's fate in my hands!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread