+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I learned that trick from going on cruises in the islands. Make a low-ball offer and walk away when it is not accepted. You can get stuff for a song like that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We do that Shay, hubby makes the offer, I walk away they chase us. I don't want them to give it away, but they start way way too high
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I never do that with the elderly or clearly desperate, though (at yard sales).
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I never do that with the elderly or clearly desperate, though (at yard sales).
    Oh gosh no. I usually over pay.
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Well folks, I finally got my Taxes filed. Nothing like waiting 'till the last minute.
    I did get money back though.
    Usually I file much earlier than this, but this year I just kept putting it off. The worst part is that I had the simplest return I've had in years too.

I just read an article saying that there is NO penalty for late filing at all, if you are getting money back. Only if you owe money.
    I guess they don't mind hanging onto our money & getting interest on it as long as possible.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I could have written that post. I just finished my taxes, paid my bills, and organized my teacher evaluation evidence. I'm splurging on Chinese to celebrate.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We've had ours done for over a month. But we're not mailing the check until Tuesday. We're tight like that.

We filed in late January as soon as all our documents came in. We got our (substantial) refund the second week of February. We have a system that we came up with when we had both retired. We claim "Single-0" for our two Union pensions and two SS payments and have additional amounts held out for both State and Fed to get us to a certain monthly income and we live on that. If we have any credit card debt that was not paid off in full each month, it is paid off with our return, and the rest is put into savings for vacation and unanticipated expenses during the year. The reason we do this is that we want to be used to a reduced income that will reflect what either of us would have as income when one or the other dies. It's a fact, we're getting old and someone's gotta' die sooner or later (hopefully peacefully in our sleep ) and at that time there won't be any big refunds every year, but the decrease in withheld taxes will allow the survivor to live comfortably (without vacations probably, but who cares if DH or my sister are no longer available to go with me). We do have some savings in various accounts, though we came way short of the Million $ expected we'd need by those financial guys on TV. But we think this is a realistic way to enjoy our retirement within a more limited income while enforcing a substantial savings plan with The Bank of IRS. This might be stupid if our Banks or Credit Unions were paying any sort of interest on savings or Cds, etc. But what are they paying now?

Full disclosure: "I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to financial advising. I was a Bookkeeper, but that's different." I'm just saying that we felt this was a smart way for us to go into retirement. But we are both healthy (except for DHs bad back which is covered by Worker's Comp) and the best laid plans can come apart with just one accident or illness. (Thinking about you, Norwindian!)

Oh - My initial thought to respond here before I found a tangent to go off on, was to say that I have been filing my taxes with Intuit's Turbo Tax since it was on really floppy, floppy disks! This was way before Windows. This was in the olden days. I'm guessing close to 30 years! Never had a problem. So, if you haven't done it yet.....
    Last edited by Punkin; 04-13-2014 at 09:03 PM.

I use Turbo Tax, too. For home and business. It makes it very simple! Too bad we owe money, but that's how it works when my husband is self employed and we don't have children at home.

I just wrote the IRS out a big check for taxes owed. Stinks.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread