+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7187Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    Gut, have you thought of using your wonderful art to implement your income? You are so talented!!
    That sounds like a great idea! And when your business takes off, Gut, maybe you could hire me to work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    My kids go to public school, and some of my favorite teachers have left or are leaving (either to private schools or to other positions that don't involve teaching), and the leaving seems to always follow administrative or curriculum changes. I initially was optimistic about Common Core, but like most things it is mutating into good intentions with bad consequences. Nennie, I like your suggestion on how to handle it.
    When you have parents that are pharmacists and can't get the Common Core math then there is an issue with it. My nephew has struggled all year long with it. My daughter was the computer teacher at her school and she said it sucks. I am hoping our Governor vetoes it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

FoRTer

^ I hope so for you. Here in TN, we were one of the first to win money in Race to the Top, so I think there are probably too many strings attached at this point to go against the flow. Nice to hear about some areas that are able to opt out though! Meanwhile, our schools are doing away with advanced classes in the name of progress.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Guttmutter, I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out. Even in the best of circumstances (a class of eager, well behaved students), I think it's psychologically draining dealing with so many different personalities and needs. Hopefully soon something good will happen that will reignite your spark.

Making money from your crafts is a good idea. Or what about tutoring?

Debb, Gosh! That kidnapping sounds like a plot from a TV show. I'm glad it ended well for your neighbor, and hope the criminals involved end up in prison for life - we can't have people going after prosecutors' families.
    Last edited by Kip; 04-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Guttmutter, I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out. Even in the best of circumstances (a class of eager, well behaved students), I think it's psychologically draining dealing with so many different personalities and needs. Hopefully soon something good will happen that will reignite your spark.

Making money from your crafts is a good idea. Or what about tutoring?

Debb, Gosh! That kidnapping sounds like a plot from a TV show. I'm glad it ended well for your neighbor, and hope the criminals involved end up in prison for life - we can't have people going after prosecutors' families.
    UPDATE! As is turns out, the kidnapping was related to my colleague's job. She is the daughter to the victim and had put a man in prison for life as an habitual Felon. His associates abducted the prosecutor's father from his home by force using a stun gun! They texted the wife to not call the police, made demands and threatened to cut him up and put him into boxes! This is so strange. The Felon was orchestrating this from prison. What a relief he is alive!

I bet there will be a movie about this story!

FBI: Wake Forest man's kidnapping tied to daughter's work as prosecutor :: WRAL.com

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am definitely thinking of art as a possibility. I've been thinking of "Women, Girls, and Dolls" as a cover for most of my crafty interests. I got a book on how to promote and sell your work, but I know it's a lot of work with no guarantees. I highlighted the retirement graph this morning to study when/how much I'd make if I retired, now vs. a few years down the road. It's a lot to think about and I shouldn't rush into it just because I've had a bad day.
    Punkin, shyra, Brooks and 2 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wow, Debb!!! Saw the hostage story on ABC's nightly news!! Very scary!
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I saw it on the CBS Evening News too! As it turns out these people are from a gang called the Bloods. Scary stuff. Just think all of this is going around and I had no idea. They kept it all quiet until the man was rescued in Atlanta, GA last night.

I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for this man and his family. Just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am definitely thinking of art as a possibility. I've been thinking of "Women, Girls, and Dolls" as a cover for most of my crafty interests. I got a book on how to promote and sell your work, but I know it's a lot of work with no guarantees. I highlighted the retirement graph this morning to study when/how much I'd make if I retired, now vs. a few years down the road. It's a lot to think about and I shouldn't rush into it just because I've had a bad day.
    You know you can come to me for advice! It's hard work, but it's fun too. I'd recommend getting the business started before you rely on it for your only income (unfortunately, I didn't have that option). That gives you some time to build and establish your business before it's the only income you have coming in. I'll bet you could find some small events around town where you could dip your toe in and see if it's for you. I have friends who are super talented, but won't sell their art as a business because they don't like the business aspects of it.

Sometimes it feels like all the business aspects of my business take more time that the creative part, but I still love it. You do have to get used to the fact that you never clock out....I guess it's a little like teaching in that way, since that job isn't over when the bell rings either.

If you still love it and you're having fun, go for it!
    inthegarden likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you for the encouragement! There is a weekly flea market one day a week in the summer that is HUGE!!! You just pay $30 that day if you decide to be a vendor. They have tables already.
    Rietta Flea Market Hubbardston MA Mass Massachusetts
    I have a friend in Ohio who supplements her income making tiaras. I saw a picture of her booth set-up on Facebook and - whoa! - I guess part of the fun is booth design. She had an evil queen vs. princess set up at one event. Too cute.
    I get so many ideas from Pinterest and have always been happiest doing arts and crafts. When my girls were little, I went crazy making American Girl outfits - especially knitting cute sweaters (that and scarves is the limit of my attention span for knitting. )
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread