+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6762Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thanks for your concern. I'm in mid-Mass. I had a really rough day with students and have a class full of every hard-hitter in the 8th grade starting Monday for the rest of the year. I am totally disillusioned and depressed about teaching at the moment. Even though early retirement would put me in a financial bind, I'm seriously considering it while I look for another way - at least part time- to earn more income. When I came home and read about the knifings in PA, it was almost like a sign. We have so many students I could see doing that at our school.
    I posted elsewhere about the possibility of you transferring to a different school or district. Just trying to think of some options.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm sorry you're feeling disillusioned about teaching, Gutmutter. I left teaching 30 years ago to become a full-time SAHM, although I have substitute taught in the past when my children were older. I hear from friends still in teaching that it is a whole different ball game these days. And here in NYS, they have instituted a new curriculum called the Common Core. Everyone from parents to teachers are up in arms over the new exams, which have been implemented in a rather rushed fashion. Now there is a whole movement going on around here called 'opt out.' Parents are actually allowing their children to opt out of taking these standardized tests.

I hope your days get better and I hope you know that a talented teacher like yourself makes a difference.

Today I had an amazing experience. A former student of mine contacted me on Facebook several months ago. I left teaching in 1984, the year she graduated. She was a wonderful student who I remember to this day. She inquired about another favorite teacher of hers, who taught English. She could not remember her married name. Well, this other teacher had been a friend of mine, as well as colleague and we lost touch after I left the school. I went to her wedding in the summer of '84 and she went to mine in '83. Anyhow, now we are all FB friends and we met for lunch at a diner convenient for all of us. What fun! 30 years had passed. My lovely student was now a 47 y.o. lovely, wife, mother, accountant. We had so much fun and stayed for hours!!! When I got home she wrote this lovely message on her FB wall: "It isn't thursday yet - but I had a huge throwback today - a throwback lunch with two of my favorite teachers (from my days at The Mary Louis Academy - TMLA), (mentions us both my name) It was both surreal and thoroughly enjoyable to see you both this afternoon after 30 years - you both have shaped the person i am today and i am truly extra blessed to have the opportunity to see you today and tell you how proud i am to have been taught by you both. Om and God bless you both and your families
    PS - you both look so great -"

Wow, that totally made my day!
    Punkin, Lil Bit, shyra and 4 others like this.

EASTCOASTMOM! OMG. What a wonderful story! Sounds like you were quite the teacher. I'm so happy for you. How nice of that student to remember you that way. To know you made such a difference in that girl's life must be so rewarding. Great job!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thank you, Debb. I got all farklempt when I read her post on FB; it meant a lot to me.
    Punkin likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm sure not all teachers get such great notes . . . but so many of them should.

I grew up in a dysfunctional situation (that's putting it politely). I loved to go to school every day because I was treated so much better by my teachers than I was at home. I would literally not have survived my teen years without the affirmation I got from teachers who had NO idea what I was dealing with on a personal basis.

So to ALL of you on this board who are teachers . . . THANK YOU! You DO make a difference, whether you ever hear it directly from your pupils or not.
    Punkin, Ellen, Kip and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I'm sorry you're feeling disillusioned about teaching, Gutmutter. I left teaching 30 years ago to become a full-time SAHM, although I have substitute taught in the past when my children were older. I hear from friends still in teaching that it is a whole different ball game these days. And here in NYS, they have instituted a new curriculum called the Common Core. Everyone from parents to teachers are up in arms over the new exams, which have been implemented in a rather rushed fashion. Now there is a whole movement going on around here called 'opt out.' Parents are actually allowing their children to opt out of taking these standardized tests.

I hope your days get better and I hope you know that a talented teacher like yourself makes a difference.

Today I had an amazing experience. A former student of mine contacted me on Facebook several months ago. I left teaching in 1984, the year she graduated. She was a wonderful student who I remember to this day. She inquired about another favorite teacher of hers, who taught English. She could not remember her married name. Well, this other teacher had been a friend of mine, as well as colleague and we lost touch after I left the school. I went to her wedding in the summer of '84 and she went to mine in '83. Anyhow, now we are all FB friends and we met for lunch at a diner convenient for all of us. What fun! 30 years had passed. My lovely student was now a 47 y.o. lovely, wife, mother, accountant. We had so much fun and stayed for hours!!! When I got home she wrote this lovely message on her FB wall: "It isn't thursday yet - but I had a huge throwback today - a throwback lunch with two of my favorite teachers (from my days at The Mary Louis Academy - TMLA), (mentions us both my name) It was both surreal and thoroughly enjoyable to see you both this afternoon after 30 years - you both have shaped the person i am today and i am truly extra blessed to have the opportunity to see you today and tell you how proud i am to have been taught by you both. Om and God bless you both and your families
    PS - you both look so great -"

Wow, that totally made my day!
    We are dealing with Common Core in Oklahoma and I would like to take Common Core and cram it sideways up the rear end of the person who thought they were oh so bright in creating it. Students nor parents are understanding it. I personally think it is setting our kids up for failure. Oklahoma is fighting it for our schools.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Gut, have you thought of using your wonderful art to implement your income? You are so talented!!
    coltnlasma likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This country does not seem to be particularly big on education, IMO.

Personally, I find it fun......but, that's just me.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You won't believe what happened last night! One of my colleagues father was kidnapped 5 days ago from his home in Wake Forest, NC, just aside of Raleigh, (his wife returned home and found blood spots on their driveway with husband missing) and last night he was rescued by a team of FBI agents in Atlanta, GA! He's safe. No further details were given. They did confirm he was kidnapped! Here's an article on it.

FBI rescues Wake Forest man from kidnappers :: WRAL.com

They said he worked for a federal security company in Washington, DC and his daughter is a assistant d.a. who prosecutes drug and gang cases. No word if why the man was abducted or how they found him.

My kids go to public school, and some of my favorite teachers have left or are leaving (either to private schools or to other positions that don't involve teaching), and the leaving seems to always follow administrative or curriculum changes. I initially was optimistic about Common Core, but like most things it is mutating into good intentions with bad consequences. Nennie, I like your suggestion on how to handle it.
    inthegarden likes this.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread