+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6442Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

The radio reported this morning that yesterday there was both a tornado warning and a blizzard warning in the same county, at the same time here in MN (fortunately not close to my county)! Crazy weather!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The radio reported this morning that yesterday there was both a tornado warning and a blizzard warning in the same county, at the same time here in MN (fortunately not close to my county)! Crazy weather!!
    I'm picturing the tornado and the snow monster duking it out in the skies above Hennipin County. Epic!!
    Punkin likes this.

And here?
    Drizzle Watch 2014! (...and showers tonight and tomorrow morning, followed by warm sun)

I'm happy with that.
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Yikes! I wonder if that's a first. Don't tornadoes form with warm air meeting cold air? But maybe it's all relative??? (like if 0 degree air hits 30 degree air)

Edited to add: Sunny here this morning, but more rain is expected this afternoon (we need the rain, so that's good).
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    And here?
    Drizzle Watch 2014! (...and showers tonight and tomorrow morning, followed by warm sun)

I'm happy with that.
    No snow, no rain here. Sunny, not that hot yet..but no quakes or tornadoes either,. I think we all live where we love to live, and why not? if we all wanted the same thing, some parts of our countries would be pretty bleak
    Punkin, Ellen, inthegarden and 1 others like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    That is my brother who lives in Southwestern Montana. However, it is only 45 min to Helena albeit over a twisty road. He loves living in the wilderness and all that implies. No cowboy hat, but he does drive a truck and have a Labrador (along with three cats - ) He and the neighbors rely on eachother to chop wood for the winter, plow out the lanes and, recently, replace a sewer line that froze on its way to a septic tank.

I couldn't live rough like he does as I enjoy having services like medical closer to hand. If I had had my scalp slit open by a backhoe you can bet I'd be in an emergency room faster than an hour drive. I worry a bit about him, but this is the life he has chosen and I'm proud of how he lives it.
    I don't want to imply for a minute that country living & ranches aren't here. Absolutely they're here.
    But the vast majority of us live in cities just like cities everywhere else, albeit a bit smaller, and there is usually at least a few miles of more open area between cities, drivable on freeways just like everywhere else. But even those areas usually have most of the basic modern amenities: TV, cell service, internet, indoor plumbing, electricity, etc.

The more "country" areas are nearly all quite near & drivable to the cities. We also have Glacier National Park & border on Yellowstone National Park, for people who want to see the outdoorsy stuff. Although both parks are fully roaded & paved pathed with nice hotels/motels both right outside & within the Parks. No horses or backpacks required unless you chose to bring or rent them to get into the more remote areas of the Parks.

The trucks, labradors & cats are extremely common both in the country & in town, usually they come as a set. Trucks are pretty much standard issue for men at least. Labradors are by far the most common dog.
    Personally I have none of the above.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Yikes! I wonder if that's a first. Don't tornadoes form with warm air meeting cold air? But maybe it's all relative??? (like if 0 degree air hits 30 degree air)

Edited to add: Sunny here this morning, but more rain is expected this afternoon (we need the rain, so that's good).
    I'm no weather expert, but usually that seems to be the case. In the summer humidity also seems to be a factor. Maybe when it is colder the required temperature differential changes??

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there, but I did find this blurb...
    Ask Tom why: Has there ever been a tornado touchdown during a blizzard or a snowstorm? - Chicago Tribune
    Dr. Harold Brooks, a tornado expert at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Okla., says that though extremely rare, there are one or two reliable reports of tornadoes that occurred with temperatures near freezing, though not necessarily during a snowstorm. One such twister was an F2 storm that killed two and injured 12 near Altus, Okla., on Feb. 22, 1975. Tornadoes have also occurred with snow on the ground during warm-ups when pre-existing snowpacks have not melted. Far more common are tornadoes that develop on the warm side of major winter storms that produce heavy snow on their cold northern flank. On Feb. 5, 2008, such a storm produced heavy snow in the central Midwest, while 64 twisters battered the South.
    We did have MUCH warmer weather ahead of this storm. It was near 60 degrees yesterday afternoon, and only in the low 20s this morning!
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    No snow, no rain here. Sunny, not that hot yet..but no quakes or tornadoes either,. I think we all live where we love to live, and why not? if we all wanted the same thing, some parts of our countries would be pretty bleak
    And that makes me laugh at my midwest family/friends who ALWAYS complain about the weather. Waah-waah. Too cold. Too hot. Waah-waah. Hey, I took my mother's advice: If you don't like something, quitcherbitchin and DO SOMETHING to change the situation. If not, put up and shut up. Harsh, yes. But it was the best advice ever. Moving cross-continent wasn't easy, but it turned out to be oh-so-worth-it. (Though I think my mom didn't expect me to take her advice. I think she expected me to become part of the family kvetch club. Many of my relatives and most of my inlaws seem to be happy only when they can find something to complain about. Uggghhh!)
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-01-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Punkin, inthegarden and Fanny Mare like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

And that makes me laugh at my midwest family/friends who ALWAYS complain about the weather. Waah-waah. Too cold. Too hot. Waah-waah. Hey, I took my mother's advice: If you don't like something, quitcherbitchin and DO SOMETHING to change the situation. If not, put up and shut up. Harsh, yes. But it was the best advice ever. Moving cross-continent wasn't easy, but it turned out to be oh-so-worth-it. (Though I think my mom didn't expect me to take her advice. I think she expected me to become part of the family kvetch club. Many of my relatives and most of my inlaws seem to be happy only when they can find something to complain about. Uggghhh!)
    Oh, I whine with the best of them in the Winter. But in the Summer you'll see me happily raving about the beautifull weather & mild evenings.
    I've found that there is good & bad in everywhere you go. The trick is to concentrate on the good & enjoy it, while trying to look past the bad as best as possible.
    Ellen likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Oh I complain, I think weather is a national sport in this country. If all else fails, kvetch about the weather
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread