+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I have to say living in the midwest that I would rather have tornadoes. More time to prepare. We had an earthquake last year the was 4.3 and no warning and it scared the whey out of me. It was rolling underneath and overhead it was shaking the fire out of stuff. My ceiling fan was swaying back and forth. That was scary. All are can be very destructive. I have drove down the road in storms and seen tornadoes dance out of the sky.
    We were in LA when there was a quake and also in BC.I hated it, I was very very afraid. It came out of nowhere both times.No thanks
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Don't forget that tomorrow is April Fool's Day! I have a plan for my students. I used to get my kids pretty well, too. My one ground rule for them was "no wasting food" (salt in the sugar bowl, etc.).
    coltnlasma likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed by a tornado than an earthquake. About 80 people die each year from earthquakes versus an average of about 7 a year for earthquakes over the last 100 years (that's in the U.S. - the worldwide toll for earthquakes is quite high). In most years, there are no deadly earthquakes in the U.S.

But there's reality and perceived danger. It's like most people are more afraid of flying than driving to the airport (myself included), even though statistically you're more likely to die on your way to or from the airport than on the aircraft. I KNOW that's the case, but it sure doesn't FEEL that way. There's also the scariness factor - for most people, a plane crash is scarier than a car crash. And when driving, people feel more in control.

I lived in Michigan, Illinois, and Texas for 3 years in each place. I don't remember having tornadoes in Michigan. In Illinois, we'd go to the basement occasionally. In Texas, there was no basement, so we'd huddle in a central bathroom. In Texas, you could feel tornadoes forming. The temperature would drop 20 degrees in 10 minutes, it would get dark and the air would get heavy, and we'd see the funnel start to form.

Thankfully, there are warnings for hurricanes and tornadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    In many cases the property may not be in a serviceable area, in some cases it is cost-prohibitive (as you get further north you have to deal with permafrost), and in some cases it just isn't seen as a necessity (we had a fishing cabin when I was growing up that just had an out-house and it wasn't a big deal).

Take some of those shows with a grain of salt. My husband was watching one a couple of months ago (I don't recall the name of it) and it featured a couple that appeared to homestead in a very remote area. They were waxing poetic about how they were worried that they wouldn't catch enough salmon to survive the winter. Then the husband remarked that they were going to head to the mouth of the Kenai River to do some fishing. That is NOT rural; they were only a short distance from developed cities! If they didn't catch enough salmon, they could mosey down the road and get a job for the winter!!

You don't have to go far in Alaska to look like you are in the middle of nowhere!
    It's the same with Montana & the media. If you believed only what you see on TV/Movies, we all live out in the country, ride horses, wear long prairie dresses, live in cabins, have wells, cook over woodstoves, send our children to one room schoolhouses, and all the men, especially the sheriffs, wear cowboy hats, and we all talk with a hillbilly twang. It's like they think we're still living in the late 1800's or early 1900's.

The truth is so far from that, that it's laughable. I've lived in a number of large & small cities in many parts of the country, and it's all pretty much the same, except that we don't have "skyscrapers".

I've never been on a horse in my life. Cowboy hats are few & far between, except for those who do live out in the country on ranches, & even then a basic trucker/baseball cap is more common.
    We have freeways, traffic jams, malls, fast food, chain stores, wireless internet, smart phones, multiplex theaters, and drive cars to get around - just like everybody else. Hi-Tech is big here just like everywhere else. We have excellent K-12 education systems & excellent universities. And walking around with exposed weapons is illegal as all get out.
    And yes, we do act like we live in 2014.

But the first thing people see in a picture of Montana is some guy riding a horse in a cowboy hat out in the middle of nowhere with no houses or roads anywhere, maybe a cabin, with mountains in the background.
    Yes, we do have a lot of mountains, and they're BIG, but there are houses all over the place on them, and roads, often paved or at least quite drivable.

But the weather does suck.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Nothing like spring storms that popped up and rolling through with lightening, thunder and a little hail added in. Yep that is Oklahoma.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Nothing like spring storms that popped up and rolling through with lightening, thunder and a little hail added in. Yep that is Oklahoma.
    Right above you in Kansas...same thing except you forgot the WIND!!
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Right above you in Kansas...same thing except you forgot the WIND!!
    We didn't get the wind at my house but they may have gotten some farther over toward Missouri. My friend posted a picture with hail in it and she lives farther north than I do.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

We got Thunder and Lightning today, along with torrential rains! We so seldom get T&L that we enjoy the heck out of it when we do get some.

Miss Scarlet, you just pricked a big hole in my "Montana image balloon"! It sounds so, well....., civilized! :>)
    Ellen and Cootie like this.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

live in cabins, have wells, cook over woodstoves,
    That is my brother who lives in Southwestern Montana. However, it is only 45 min to Helena albeit over a twisty road. He loves living in the wilderness and all that implies. No cowboy hat, but he does drive a truck and have a Labrador (along with three cats - ) He and the neighbors rely on eachother to chop wood for the winter, plow out the lanes and, recently, replace a sewer line that froze on its way to a septic tank.

I couldn't live rough like he does as I enjoy having services like medical closer to hand. If I had had my scalp slit open by a backhoe you can bet I'd be in an emergency room faster than an hour drive. I worry a bit about him, but this is the life he has chosen and I'm proud of how he lives it.
    Punkin, Cootie and inthegarden like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Don't forget that tomorrow is April Fool's Day! I have a plan for my students. I used to get my kids pretty well, too. My one ground rule for them was "no wasting food" (salt in the sugar bowl, etc.).
    Gut, we expect a full report!

+ Reply to Thread