+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I wouldn't ever move away from my family either. I'm just happy that they haven't moved away from where I am.

My family and I get along much better with a few thousand miles between us. My move was a win-win.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ugh - 2 hour delay because of icy mix and snow this morning. Tomorrow it's supposed to be warm. April fools?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This may be a really dumb question, but here it comes anyway! What differentiates an earthquake from an after- shock? Of course, I get that the timing is a component, but when are you sure that it's not another quake as opposed to a strong aftershock? I am thankful not to have firsthand experience!
    captain likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    This may be a really dumb question, but here it comes anyway! What differentiates an earthquake from an after- shock? Of course, I get that the timing is a component, but when are you sure that it's not another quake as opposed to a strong aftershock? I am thankful not to have firsthand experience!
    In addition to the timing, I believe it would have to occur in the same fault zone. I would leave it up to the geologists/seismologists to make that call.

I grew up in Anchorage, AK and earthquake safety was drilled into us on a regular basis. We are taught from a young age to have a healthy fear of earthquakes. Maybe it is different when you grow up in another region and then move to an earthquake zone. I was never overly fearful of them since they are pretty frequent. On the other hand whenever there was a significant one, you do have to wonder if this is the one that will keep going until massive damage occurs. I can't say that I miss earthquakes too much.

This year is the 50th anniversary of the Good Friday earthquake in southern Alaska. It was the largest quake ever measured in North America, and the second largest quake in recorded history. It lasted for 3 minutes. This is the reason why we had so much earthquake education growing up. The scary part is that they have rebuilt in a number of places where the ground is less than stable, and the population in the overall region is MUCH larger now than it was back in 1964.
    Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Rare Photos From an Epic Disaster | LIFE.com
    U.S. Geological Survey Photographic Library
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-31-2014 at 11:17 AM.

ClosetRTWatcher, as a native of Alaska, maybe you can answer this question. I watch a lot of shows about Alaska. It's a bit of a hobby, Alaska: Last Great Frontier, Yukon Men, Buying Alaska, etc.
    While the cities such as Fairbanks and others have all the amenities of any other city, why do the houses in the rural areas not normally have septic tanks and wells? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    ClosetRTWatcher, as a native of Alaska, maybe you can answer this question. I watch a lot of shows about Alaska. It's a bit of a hobby, Alaska: Last Great Frontier, Yukon Men, Buying Alaska, etc.
    While the cities such as Fairbanks and others have all the amenities of any other city, why do the houses in the rural areas not normally have septic tanks and wells? Just curious.
    In many cases the property may not be in a serviceable area, in some cases it is cost-prohibitive (as you get further north you have to deal with permafrost), and in some cases it just isn't seen as a necessity (we had a fishing cabin when I was growing up that just had an out-house and it wasn't a big deal).

Take some of those shows with a grain of salt. My husband was watching one a couple of months ago (I don't recall the name of it) and it featured a couple that appeared to homestead in a very remote area. They were waxing poetic about how they were worried that they wouldn't catch enough salmon to survive the winter. Then the husband remarked that they were going to head to the mouth of the Kenai River to do some fishing. That is NOT rural; they were only a short distance from developed cities! If they didn't catch enough salmon, they could mosey down the road and get a job for the winter!!

You don't have to go far in Alaska to look like you are in the middle of nowhere!
    Debb70 likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    We eat 5.1s for lunch. I'll take our earthquakes over a polar vortex or even a run-of-the-mill blizzard anyday. They're over in less than a minute, and there's no shoveling.
    I'm a California native (live here from birth to 19, and then lived elsewhere until I was 30). I felt my first earthquake when I was 32. As a kid, I wanted to feel one, but never did. We'd go to visit my grandparents in Chicago when I was a kid, and kids there would ask how I could live in California with all the earthquakes. I thought they were nuts. I had never felt one. And every summer in Chicago, we'd be down in the basement because of tornado warnings. I remember seeing an apartment building opened up from a tornado, so you could see into the rooms and see the stairs going up like a giant doll house.

With hurricanes and tornadoes, you generally have some advance notice (though sometimes only minutes). IMO, the scariest thing about earthquakes is that there's no warning.
    Ellen and nennie like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    An aftershock is simply another earthquake of lesser magnitude at the same general place in the same fault after the original earthquake that takes after the original event. If a larger quake comes after the first one, then the ones preceding it are referred to as foreshocks and the largest quake is the quake of record.

So if you have
    5.1 quake
    4.2 aftershock
    4.0 aftershock

and then have a 5.3, the sequence becomes
    5.1 foreshock
    4.2 foreshock
    4.0 foreshock
    5.3 quake

Edited to add: Almost always, the biggest quake is the first one, generally from one plate moving on top of another. Smaller quakes follow as the earth settles into its new position.
    Last edited by Kip; 03-31-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Punkin, Ellen, Arielflies and 1 others like this.

I have to say living in the midwest that I would rather have tornadoes. More time to prepare. We had an earthquake last year the was 4.3 and no warning and it scared the whey out of me. It was rolling underneath and overhead it was shaking the fire out of stuff. My ceiling fan was swaying back and forth. That was scary. All are can be very destructive. I have drove down the road in storms and seen tornadoes dance out of the sky.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread