+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6433Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Attachment 29749
    My folks said the earthquake was a roller. Not bad if you're on the ground floor. A little disconcerting if you're higher up. Really though, most earthquakes aren't a big deal. I'll take them over a tornado or hurricane any day.
    Hell, Yes!!! Once, long ago, when my husband (at the time) was in the Air Force and stationed in Tacoma during Vietnam, we felt a small quake there, maybe a 4 something. (All the Western states are situated on the "Ring of Fire", i.e. earthquake country.) We went outside and found our Air Force neighbors, who came from all over the country, had fled from their apartments and acted like it was the rapture or something. Pretty funny! But for me, give me a good "Shake, Rattle and Roll" any day over a tornado or Hurricane. Or a Polar Vertex, for that matter.
    Ellen likes this.

Polar Vortex - too soon.
    Punkin and prhoshay like this.
    Count your blessings!

Really though, most earthquakes aren't a big deal. I'll take them over a tornado or hurricane any day.
    We eat 5.1s for lunch. I'll take our earthquakes over a polar vortex or even a run-of-the-mill blizzard anyday. They're over in less than a minute, and there's no shoveling.
    Punkin, Kip, Critical and 2 others like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Attachment 29749
    My folks said the earthquake was a roller. Not bad if you're on the ground floor. A little disconcerting if you're higher up. Really though, most earthquakes aren't a big deal. I'll take them over a tornado or hurricane any day.
    It was our choice to move here to So CALI from Boston back in 2008.

Having been in a GAZILLION Nor'Easters and spent from NOV-MAR freezing my arse off, I LOVE SoCALI and we are STAYING. EQ's and ALL!

Yes and we are on the top floor and I would say 'disconcerting' is the best way to describe it. But all in all, bring them ON, we LOVE this part of the country!!!!!
    Punkin and Ellen like this.
    KAREN

That may be tempting fate a bit too much. Knock on wood.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I wouldn't trade off going through my different seasons for anything in the world. You can keep it!

Nice places to visit....wouldn't want to live there!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I feel the same way. I went to see a visiting friend an hour south of here and there were daffodils and tulips coming up. I was so excited!! I knew we wouldn't be far behind. As much as I groan about the cold in winter and heat in summer, each season makes you appreciate the others even more. We may have a snow day tomorrow. 3-4" of snow mixed with ice tonight into tomorrow morning.
    Count your blessings!

I woke up to snow covering the ground & streets this morning. Our Winter snow had darned near melted off, except the piles we threw our shoveled snow into. Mine is still a little over a foot high (down from over 5'). That and the snow/ice on the North side of houses/buildings that never gets sun. That's got a while to go.
    Our fresh snow is melting now & hopefully will be gone by evening. It doesn't seem to last long any more, but still keeps falling. Morning roads aren't much fun.

Gardening has a while to go. The ground is still frozen or mucky in some places. Root plants can usually be planted around the middle of April, but nothing above ground. Tomatoes can't be safely put into the ground 'till the 1st of June, & pretty much need to be starter plants because of the short growing season.

I'd move down South somewhere, either Southeast or Southwest, in a heartbeat. But at this point in my life I don't want to start over in a new job. Finding someone to hire me could be an issue too. This is a youth obsessed world. Older new hires are rare. They see us as either too set in our ways or as on our way out. They seem to think that we all have the ability to take early retirement at the drop of a hat, years before Social Security & Medicare kick in. Therefore considering us a flight risk.

Plus, the most important reason for staying put is that my children & grandchildren are here. I don't want to be far, far away from them. I want to remain an active part of their existences. Not just a picture on a wall, or a voice on the other end of a phone.

So I guess I'm stuck in the frozen North, like it or not.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I love our seasons in NC too. We don't normally have big snow storms, but the thunder storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., are brutal.

We are not in tornado alley, but we have so many storms in the spring right through the fall. In summer time it's almost a daily occurance. And the tormadoes do A LOT of damage every year. It's not unusual to lose power at least once every couple of weeks in the summertime due to lightning hitting transformers, wind blowing trees on power lines, etc.

Just last night a line of thunder storms came through the middle of the state and a funnel cloud was spotted and picked up on radar. All the local channels interrupt programing and give the standard warning language, "Go to a safe place in your home away from windows. Get out of your car. Seek Shelter." I grew up with it, but still, it's concerning and you never know how serious it is. It's the one thing I hate about hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    It was our choice to move here to So CALI from Boston back in 2008.

Having been in a GAZILLION Nor'Easters and spent from NOV-MAR freezing my arse off, I LOVE SoCALI and we are STAYING. EQ's and ALL!

Yes and we are on the top floor and I would say 'disconcerting' is the best way to describe it. But all in all, bring them ON, we LOVE this part of the country!!!!!
    I'm with you.
    I moved to San Diego not long after a worse winter than this over-hyped polar vortex. Our wind chills dipped to -83 in SE Wisconsin back then in the mid-'80s.
    No regrets. Earthquakes are over in less than a minute. No shoveling.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread