+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Now let's just get this straight!

.Please Don't Call It St. Patty's Day (ABC News)View Photo.

The Dublin Airport Facebook page posted this notice clarifying that it's "Saint Paddy's Day," not "Saint Patty's Day." (DublinAirport/Facebook)
    Here's a PSA from the Dublin Airport: Don't call it St. Patty's Day. Also, March 17 should never be referred to as Patty's Day either.

You may, however, call it St. Paddy's Day, or Paddy's Day. Also acceptable are the traditional St. Patrick's Day and Patrick's Day.

Got that?

In a fogra (notice, in Gaelic) posted to its Facebook page, the airport addressed what is apparently a pet peeve: the improper use of St. Patty's Day in the United States and Canada.

"Please share this simple message with your friends and relations in the United States and Canada," the fogra reads. "Using the power of your network, hopefully we can banish the scourge of St Patty once and for all."

So what's the problem with St. Patty's Day?

Patty is a nickname for Patricia, a woman's name, according to the website paddynotpatty.com. St. Patrick was, of course, a man.

Paddy is appropriate because it comes from Padraig, a variant of the name Patrick.

But if you really want to impress an Irishman, you need only say: Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh (Happy St. Patrick's Day!).
    Please Don't Call It St. Patty's Day | ABC News - Yahoo

Don't know why I would care, I'm not Irish. But today we go as always to my best friend's son's Irish bar in the City and drink like one!

I dont want to bring anybody down on this thread, but, today is a day I remember every year since 2003 for being more than St. Patrick's Day. It was the day I was told I had cancer first thing in the morning. Obviously I survived as I was lucky it was caught early, and I've had these years since with my family and friends that I wouldnt have had if I had just ignored the symptoms! So its a funny odd feeling of the fear and the terror of being told and the bumpy ride of surgery and radiation, but happiness that I survived.
    Punkin, CantGetNuf, Kip and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I dont want to bring anybody down on this thread, but, today is a day I remember every year since 2003 for being more than St. Patrick's Day. It was the day I was told I had cancer first thing in the morning. Obviously I survived as I was lucky it was caught early, and I've had these years since with my family and friends that I wouldnt have had if I had just ignored the symptoms! So its a funny odd feeling of the fear and the terror of being told and the bumpy ride of surgery and radiation, but happiness that I survived.
    Congratulations on your survival story!!! It's not anything to bring me down. It's great news and I'm very happy for you. I would be thrilled to celebrate the good news too. I know your family is so relieved your treatment was successful.

You said you didn't ignore the symptoms and got them checked out. What kind of check up did you get, if you don't mind saying. I'm getting ready to schedule some routine exams myself. Mamogram, colonoscopy, etc. I probably need to see a dermatologist too.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I agree with Debb . . . this is a day for you to celebrate, cablejockey. It's not a downer to have been victorious over something like that!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

After having had a crappy colonoscopy in 2010, I know that I am due again in 2015. I had, rather, made up my mind not to subject myself to that again since my colonoscopy, while returning positive results, was difficult and now I will have to have a virtual colonoscopy from that point forward...WHATEVER THAT MEANS. Apparently, I have some sort of structural abnormality that will not allow the scope to advance. I had to endure a barium enema to see what was going on. Horrible. I was not mentally prepared for that procedure, and it was an ugly situation. Had they found polyps, we would have had to go with a more invasive technique. You are knocked out for the colonoscopy; you are not for a barium enema....you WILL call on the Lord. I have had a close high school friend (female) die of colon cancer, and I feel like I owe it to her to get this done. I can do what she didn't do that could have helped her. I am also due for a stooopid mammogram; I've also lost a close high school friend to breast cancer. Once again, I feel obligated.

Unfortunately, I feel I must. I've got to try to live for my friends who didn't.
    cablejockey, Brooks, PGM35 and 2 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That's a good way to look at it.
    Count your blessings!

I hear what you're saying. I'm scheduling all of my tests right now. Mamography, is no problem. Colonoscopy is causing me hesitation. I'm usually pretty brave about stuff, but some things have happened with people I know that have caused me to hesitate on this. Some people have a difficult time and suffer from injuries from this procedure. It's scared me a little, though I know I have to do it. You never hear the bad stories on tv when they are promoting this exam. I also need a pap, skin tests and eye exam.
    cablejockey likes this.

Lots of colon cancer on my dad's side. I didn't know this until after my first colonoscopy for what turned out to be a bleeding polyp (that bleeding polyp may have saved my life). I have had 7 colonoscopies so far and am now on a 5-year schedule. I feel as though I went from high risk to pretty low risk of colon cancer so I feel good about that. I'll admit to a bit of a crush on my gastroenterologist (until this last exam he looked a lot like our Supreme Court Chief Justice, LOL - still very handsome but no longer the resemblance). Preparation is the pits but the exam has always gone very smoothly - a very good attending nurse can really help with that by applying the right amount of pressure at the right times. I have never had any sedation and I never intend to but there is nothing unusual about my plumbing that warrants it. I prefer being fully conscious so I can watch the big screen too.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I cannot imagine not being sedated. Even with the lala-land sedation, they could still tell that I was having pain when they tried to advance the scope, which is when the doctor decided to stop. The doc was this good looking Asian gentleman that I had seen walking down the hallway; while I was less heavily sedated, I started talking about how good looking he was....having NO idea that he was in the room!!!!

Everybody was very professional, thank goodness!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Because of my family history of colon cancer, and my tendency to grow polyps, I "get" to have a colonoscopy every 3 years. Thankfully, I've never had any problems with the procedure, but I don't enjoy the prep. (who does?!) Last summer, my older brother, who had been postponing his colonoscopy, started having symptoms and when he finally went to the doctor, he ended up having 18 inches of his colon removed because of cancer. SO... I will continue to have my tests done every 3 years.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread