+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We had a party line in 1990! ( with 2 others) when we moved to our acreage - they hadn't yet finished updating. OMG I was creeped out that someone was listening, one time a lady said "get off the phone. " We had that for 6 months..then we had our own phone line
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

So I had my first art class today. It went well enough. I'm making some bowl in pottery.

This morning, and last night, I felt awful and didn't want to go. So should I make that my new life slogan? "I didn't want to do it, but I did anyway".
    Punkin, Cootie, Photobabe and 1 others like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I love my signature, by the way.

And a random thought I had last night:

"Terrible" and "Horrible" are both strongly negative.

"Terrifying" and "Horrifying", "Terror" and "Horror", also.

Then why are "Horrific" and "Terrific" opposites?
    Punkin and Kip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So I had my first art class today. It went well enough. I'm making some bowl in pottery.

This morning, and last night, I felt awful and didn't want to go. So should I make that my new life slogan? "I didn't want to do it, but I did anyway".
    You didn't feel any better afterwards, that you went I mean? I have dragged myself to things, and then I feel great and wonder why I wasn't happy to go-
    Kip and Debb70 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

Yes! Most of the time, you'll be glad you did. A lot of things in life are like that.
    inthegarden and Fanny Mare like this.

Hello. I wanted to give you an update on my mom. She had some complications and had to have emergency surgery over the weekend. Even before that we were worried about her. She got news that she will not be able to walk more than ten to fifteen feet unassisted. She will spend most of her time in her wheelchair. After she heard that I could see the sparkle leave her eyes. She has been so strong and positive and tough thru all of this and I think she has just had enough. They have been bringing in a Dr from the psychiatric ward in to talk to her. Hopefully that will help. She is the happiest brightest person I know. Everybody calls her Beamer because of her smile. Its hard to see that smile not there. She has told me a lot of times how nice you are to her and how you give her great advice. I need some of that advice if you would please. Physically she is doing better after the weekends surgery and I told you how she is emotionally. She is alert and aware of whats going on. Her 17 year old chihuahua died last night. My dad brother and I dont know what to do. She asks about her pets every time she wakes up. If things go good she will be home on Friday. We have to tell her before then but we are afraid this will send her over the edge. How and when would y'all tell her?? Mom has said that she has gotten some good advice here. We would appreciate any advice. I know she would not mind me asking you. Thanks in advance.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Hey Amanda, I hope I'm not talking out of turn, but I think your mother can make a great recovery. I had to watch my own mother go down hill in the walking department over the last two years, but she's made a great recovery since finding the right physical therapists. That's only half the battle, but the mental part is there for her. YOU are there for her and so are your dad and brother. As for the loss of her pup, eh, I've got nothing. Other posters will. But the best thing I can say is that if she had the doggie that long, she raised him/her well and did the best she could for him/her. And 17 years is a long time for a chich. That's like 100+ years in human years.
    Debb70 likes this.

Amanda - I have an odd recommendation. Ask if you're allowed to get in bed with her. Snuggle real close and break the news as gently as you can. If she can cry it out, she may be able to tap the even deeper root of her other loss. Crying really helps a lot. Don't worry if it seems she's crying too much over the next couple of days. It would be an appropriate reaction. Also, the sooner she can see her grandchildren, the better. I know she talks about them being such a light in her life. Please, please tell her we are all thinking of her and wishing her well. Do continue with the therapist. Sometimes we all need a little help. I'm so sorry she had complications.
    Punkin, Ellen, Jamie5632 and 1 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

NorwIndian is physically hurting right now. Would she physically feel better in a couple of days? If so, I think it might be better to tell her about the dog passing away in a couple of days, maybe even when she gets home. Have nice things around her to let her know you care. If you have other dogs, maybe you might have a bag of treats and special dog food for them so that she can focus on the others. 17 years....that's a good life with a very good doggie ma ma.
    Debb70 likes this.
    You can do it!

Amanda & Norwindian, my heart goes out to you both. Your mom has mentioned a few times that she has found herself feeling very down after losing her ability to get around and be fully independent, but that eventually she gets a better outlook. This latest news might take some time to adjust to, but your mom is a bright light and eventually she will show her positive side. This will take some time and getting home will probably help. The loss of her longtime companion will also hurt but perhaps the focus can be on celebrating the 17 years they had together? If it was me, I don't think I would tell her about the loss until she gets home as it seems like she has enough to deal with right now. But you are there and may find the right time before she goes home. Many of us on FORT have experienced the loss of our pets and have gotten a great deal of sympathy here. There is even a thread where we discuss our animals. Amanda, thanks for the update - I have been checking for one constantly as I miss seeing your mom's smile on here - it shows in her writing, too. Tell her hi for me! She needs time to heal and hopefully we can help somehow.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread