+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5800Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp;2190622;
    Took my oldest to get her hair cut. She was going to donate about 12 inches of her hair but the stylist talked her into checking to see if she could sell it frist. The stylist was rather down on donating the hair for various reasons. However she couldn't give us the name of places that bought hair, there are a few on the internet almost like e-bay where you post the picture of the hair and people bid. I guess I need to check around in Michigan to see if anyone buys it
    here.

So, what are the negatives to donating hair? What problems did your stylist cite?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2190173;
    This may be a dumb question. (forgive me, I lived in Florida all my life), but if you have a bad winter storm and the power goes off, can't you put your food outside to keep it from spoiling??? I don't mean where animals can get it, but somewhere???? Like I said, this may be dumb, but was just wondering because if its cold out and the power is out, then the cold would keep the food good right?
    My cousins' power went out due to winds and rain. It wasn't cold enough to empty the freezer into the snow. There wasn't any snow. And most stuff that is refrigerated can go bad quickly after a day or two and you don't want to risk a case of botulism. It wasn't a matter of power being off for a few hours, it was a few days.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I am perplexed. Two of the things I consistently make really well are meatloaf and lemon bars. I use a recipe for the latter and I always wing it on the former. But they've always turned out well. This week alone, I made both and they were both HORRIBLE. Usually we save the meatloaf for sandwiches the next day but I ended up throwing it out--it was that bad (and the meat was fresh, as were all the other ingredients). As for the lemon bars, I cut back on some of the sugar (it calls for a TON of sugar!) and I think that may have ruined some of the consistency...also, the crust was super soggy--not crisp and delicious as usual. I'm not asking for help--I'm just annoyed with myself! At least I'm still on target with my roast chicken! Hopefully this reign of bad cooking luck will end soon!!!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2190824;
    I am perplexed. Two of the things I consistently make really well are meatloaf and lemon bars. I use a recipe for the latter and I always wing it on the former. But they've always turned out well. This week alone, I made both and they were both HORRIBLE. Usually we save the meatloaf for sandwiches the next day but I ended up throwing it out--it was that bad (and the meat was fresh, as were all the other ingredients). As for the lemon bars, I cut back on some of the sugar (it calls for a TON of sugar!) and I think that may have ruined some of the consistency...also, the crust was super soggy--not crisp and delicious as usual. I'm not asking for help--I'm just annoyed with myself! At least I'm still on target with my roast chicken! Hopefully this reign of bad cooking luck will end soon!!!
    No leftover meatloaf sandwiches? Now that's a crisis!

Don't dispair, I'm sure your cooking will get back on track. Everyone has bad cooking days, they can and do coincide with bad hair days, so I hope for your sake it was only a bad cooking day and not a bad hair day too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2190651;
    So, what are the negatives to donating hair? What problems did your stylist cite?
    I guess negatives were the wrong term. She noted she has been frustrated with two groups that accept donated hair in that they are very specific in how much hair they want in length and when she has seen wigs made for kids by them, she feels they don't use as much hair as they state is needed. Her thought is (totally unproven I will add) is that they are selling the hair that is 'more valuable' (blond untreated long hair) to places that make real hair extensions and using the rest for wigs.

Now, I don't care. I figure if I donate something to a charity, they use it as they see fit. However she has my daughter thinking, as my daughter has long 25 inch blond untreated hair and she rarely blow dries it or curls it, that she may have a great deal of money involved in her hair. So the hair dresser has her convinced she could sell it and add to her savings account. I guess she is going to look into this more and decide. From what little I could find on the internet, while there are places that buy hair, they tend to deal in groups and large amounts. That they don't care to buy American hair as it does tend to be over processed.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I know that for the "Lord of the Rings," they made a lot of their wigs from Russian hair. Also, I read that Asian hair is valued because it's so thick and shiny . Then I guess the wigmakers dye the hair to whatever color the wigs they're making.

But I would think you need a lot of hair even to make a small wig, so I don't know if the places that accept the hair are actually profiting from them. I guess they could be. But ... oh, I don't know!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2190824;
    We're in the same boat, i burned 2 sets of cooked within 6 days of eachother. I don't suck at cookie, it's just the time that gets away from me.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I get so distracted with anything I do.....especially cooking that I set 2 timers one to check on whatever is cooking and the other timer for the actual cooking time.....that way, if I miss the first timer....I have a back up...believe me...with my attention span I really need it.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    My "Christmas baby" recently had a birthday---(no duh, huh?!)---got him his birthday "cake". I've broken with tradition on the cake...his "cake" is a tray of 100 shrimp, with numerical candles signifying his age! He loves it! I don't think he'd eat a regular cake at this point. Fun, fun, fun!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm blaming it on you all. I made a batch of cranberry pudding and put in too much liquid. It is cooking right now. Don't know how it can possibly turn out well.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread