+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6749Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I had an odd problem. My dryer wasnt working too good--no heat and nothing was drying. Before the repairman would come out and look at it, he said the warranty would not cover a blocked vent, which is what it sounded like. So I unhooked the hose at the back and looked further into the pipe that take the hot air outside and it was very badly blocked! No air was getting thru and being blocked liked that was also a fire hazard. Looking around I found that there are places whose business it is to unblock these vents! I had no idea. Anyway I did get someone to come out and do it this morning and now my dryer is working like new!
    When we had our house, and had our ducts cleaned, and they would also clean this vent. Once I knew it was there, I cleaned it with our shop vac- .glad its all working for you now
    cablejockey likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I bought a dryer vent cleaning kit on amazon for around $20-$25 and was amazed at how much lint came out of the dryer and the hoses. Our dryer dries much more quickly now.

My daughter was finally dismissed from jury duty - this was the second day of jury selection on a child neglect case (by a grandmother). I told her she likely would be as she has a degree in child development, was a nursery school teacher for 4 years, and is now a nanny. I knew the defense attorney wouldn't want her on the jury with that kind of background. The attorney asked her if she could find someone innocent of neglect if the children hadn't been injured. My daughter replied that just because there wasn't an injury didn't mean there wasn't neglect. My daughter said the DA kept telling corny jokes, and defense attorney is pregnant and kept putting her hand on her belly, smiling, and saying things like "this is my third child," with the obvious implication of "As a mother, I could never defend anyone who harmed a child."

I've never been chosen for a jury. I get called every two or three years, but usually the cases get settled and everyone's sent home. I only got to the actual questioning point once (on a drug case) and the DA dismissed me.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    ...My daughter was finally dismissed from jury duty - this was the second day of jury selection on a child neglect case (by a grandmother). I told her she likely would be as she has a degree in child development, was a nursery school teacher for 4 years, and is now a nanny. I knew the defense attorney wouldn't want her on the jury with that kind of background. The attorney asked her if she could find someone innocent of neglect if the children hadn't been injured. My daughter replied that just because there wasn't an injury didn't mean there wasn't neglect. My daughter said the DA kept telling corny jokes, and defense attorney is pregnant and kept putting her hand on her belly, smiling, and saying things like "this is my third child," with the obvious implication of "As a mother, I could never defend anyone who harmed a child."

I've never been chosen for a jury. I get called every two or three years, but usually the cases get settled and everyone's sent home. I only got to the actual questioning point once (on a drug case) and the DA dismissed me.
    They don't want linguists/copyeditors either, as we're less likely than the general public to be swayed by manipulative language.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks everybody! Coming here was exactly what I needed. I'm so happy and relaxed. Late last night we got the dogs, bundled up and she pushed me around the neighborhood in the snow. It was so beautiful.
    My dog in the snow is hilarious. She's never seen it. When she first stepped on it, she danced around trying to not step on it. Now she loves it. She likes digging holes in it.

Later, my friend Char is taking me to her favorite restaurant and then we're going to go into Reno. I'm not much of a gambler, I'll probably just play some slots and maybe a hand or 2 of Blackjack. I mostly want to just "walk" around, people watch and buy a bunch of useless souvenirs. Just get my mind off of stuff.

About the dryer vent, when I was little, my mom had a friend whose dryer caught on fire so my mom always pounded into my head to keep the vents clean. I think that's the number one cause of house fires, if not number one, I think its pretty high on the list.

I'll be popping in during the weekend to say hi and annoy you guys.
    Take care everybody and have a safe fun weekend! All of you snow people, stay warm.
    Punkin, cablejockey and Kip like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

NorwIndian, it sounds like you and your dog had a great time in the snow! Sounds like a lot of fun. Have fun in Reno. And good luck with your upcoming surgery. We'll be thinking of you here of course.
    Kip likes this.

I'm sorry to be so annoying with my long stupid comments but I'm having a proud mama moment and I have to share it!

My son is 28. He didnt go to college, just a few classes at the local community college. He started working right out of high school. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
    He got his current job with a major company at 21. He started out as a customer service rep/ telemarketer. His first year there, he received 2 promotions and made employee of the quarter which nobody without 5 years or more working there has ever won and nobody in his position had ever won. He's steadily moved up in the company. They sent him and paid for classes at the community college just to brush up on a few things. The company had never done that before.

Long story short, (yeah right), he just called me and he has received a huge promotion and huge raise. He jumped about 10 positions to get the one he just got.
    The company had meetings about it because the other person up for the job has a college degree and has been there longer. I guess the high, high up bosses had a meeting with my son's immediate boss. Since nobody without a degree had ever held that position they weren't sure what to do.
    They decided that job performance, ability to do the job well and continue to advance and just being an all around better employee was most important so my son got the job!
    I'm so proud of him. I guess the other guy that was up for it is a bad employee who doesn't do his job, always calls in sick etc. my son doesn't do that stuff.

He's so smart, I don't know where he got it from. When he was a kid, he would take VCRs, TVs and other electronic stuff apart into a thousand pieces and always put it back together.

I'm a proud mama right now.

I promise I'll shut up now! Almost to Reno! Cheap tacky souvenirs and drunken tourists here I come! I'm so excited!
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Its so nice to hear such a feel good story, where hard work and perseverance pays off! Congrats to your son on his well deserved success.
    Debb70 likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Back home after being gone since Monday. I still tried to keep up with all my pals here at FoRT!

I tripped and took a pretty nasty fall this morning in the parking lot of our hotel. It was my own klutziness, so I won't be taking any world cruises from the results of a lawsuit . . . I'm just grateful that it wasn't worse. My arm and knee are pretty banged up, and I think I have a bit of whiplash from the sudden stop when I hit the ground. And I broke a nail!!!!

I've decided to give myself a break and NOT walk my full 5 miles today. I actually walked 2 miles right after my fall, but now the stiffness has set in, so I'm going to chill out with a heating pad on my lower back and ice on my bruised arm.

And I think I'll try to be a little more careful about watching my step in strange places.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

AZChristian, be careful! I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse. Good idea to not walk today.Take care of yourself.

I've noticed that in the last year or so, when I go to step over something, that my trailing foot often hits what I'm stepping over. For some reason I'm not lifting my foot as much as I think I am - a sign of getting older, I suppose.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

I am really truly sorry about the Nail j/k
    I hope you heal quickly.
    PGM35 and AZChristian like this.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread