+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6765Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I honestly think that people make excuses for inabilities that can be embarrassing to have to admit to. Some people would rather "talk slick" than to admit to the real deal. It is not a simplistic problem, as much as some folks would like to think it is.

The corporate government assistance is much more shameful. The corporations who have their shares and many other peoples who line up to make sure they get ridiculous amounts of government money. Truthfully, I'd rather pay individuals than greedy corporations run by billionaires with no shame.
    Punkin, ClosetRTWatcher and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hmm, well... corporations do give back in many ways (charitable giving, education, community outreach). Same as with individuals, the best thing about being financially successful is being able to have fun with giving.
    AZChristian and Photobabe like this.
    remember to play

The food bank I volunteered at was run out of a church and the one thing about the Pastor who had it was he would do everything in his power to get lots of stuff for the people. They have just now gotten a refridgerated truck so he can go to places like Tysons and get meat for the people. They donate but if you don't have a way to haul it then it does you no good. Another thing about this particular food bank is he gets tons of fresh produce because he knows that is an expense most of the people can't afford. I have been the recipient of many boxes of fruit that I used to make jellies out of because he had an abundance and he didn't want it to go to waste and he knew I canned. I got a call from him the other day to come and get 25#'s of flour and sugar because the people don't want flour or that much sugar. This isn't the first time he gave me flour and sugar. BTW he gets home made goodies from me.

This man runs this bank so well that Walmart has given him 2 $50,000.00 grants to build warehouses and buy things he needs to continue and also one of the biggest food banks came to Tulsa the other day to meet with him. Walmart gives him regular weekly donations of meat and staple items. The man is blessed and I am on the receiving end of the blessings.

I just hate seeing people abuse the system. It will never stop though.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Hmm, well, a lot of corporations have fun with avoiding taxes and make donations not to the usual charities, but to the reelection funds of legislators who create tax loopholes for them. Or they just up and move businesses that were "made in America" to a country with low or no taxes and continue to make money here while contributing nothing to the American economy.

26 Major Corporations Paid No Taxes For The Last Four Years

Over Two-Thirds Of Corporations Pay No Federal Corporate Income Tax

According to a recent analysis of nearly 300 Fortune 500 companies by the Citizens for Tax Justice, the average company was paying just 18.3 percent in taxes -- a little more than half the official rate. And by using techniques like industry subsidies, stock option packages, and moving assets overseas where they can't be taxed, 30 companies mentioned in the report -- including Wells Fargo, Verizon, Boeing and General Electric -- didn't pay a cent in federal taxes in 2008, 2009 or 2010, the report found.

The phenomenon affects state income taxes as well as federal. Last month, another study from the Center for Tax Justice found that corporate tax avoidance had cost states a combined $42.7 billion between 2008 and 2010 -- a period when budget shortfalls forced states to cut spending for health care, public schools and care for the elderly and disabled.
    So agencies like Police, Firefighters, Hospitals, etc. that provide services to corporate employees, and the teachers and schools that provide an educated workforce are paid for by we citizens who pay payroll taxes while those corporations make billions in profits without paying their share for such services their employees depend on. This is what is referred to as corporate welfare. It should hold the same stigma as an individual who shirks the responsibility to work if they are able. And though there is a subclass of people who abuse welfare, there are many, many more who just can not find a job in this economy. These people too often feel a sense of failure or shame for a situation they did not create and have no control over. Financial institutions who created this mess were bailed out and are back in the black, but those who lost their livelihoods are just swept under the rug. Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    The food bank I volunteered at was run out of a church and the one thing about the Pastor who had it was he would do everything in his power to get lots of stuff for the people. They have just now gotten a refridgerated truck so he can go to places like Tysons and get meat for the people. They donate but if you don't have a way to haul it then it does you no good. Another thing about this particular food bank is he gets tons of fresh produce because he knows that is an expense most of the people can't afford. I have been the recipient of many boxes of fruit that I used to make jellies out of because he had an abundance and he didn't want it to go to waste and he knew I canned. I got a call from him the other day to come and get 25#'s of flour and sugar because the people don't want flour or that much sugar. This isn't the first time he gave me flour and sugar. BTW he gets home made goodies from me.

This man runs this bank so well that Walmart has given him 2 $50,000.00 grants to build warehouses and buy things he needs to continue and also one of the biggest food banks came to Tulsa the other day to meet with him. Walmart gives him regular weekly donations of meat and staple items. The man is blessed and I am on the receiving end of the blessings.

I just hate seeing people abuse the system. It will never stop though.
    The food bank where I volunteered is also church run. There are more than 40 participating churches. Years ago they tried adding fresh fruit and veggies. They weren't free but for $7.00 one could get lots of fresh veggies and fruit. About $40.00 worth. The problem was, while the volunteers were buying the produce, the clients weren't. So, a survey was put in the (free) bags of non- perishable food asking why they weren't interested in the produce. The overwhelming majority of those who responded said they didn't know how to cook! So, my church, which has a very large kitchen, offered to give free basic cooking lessons. Not one person was interested. So, after several years, the produce was discontinued.

Regarding corporations. I don't think anyone wants to see corporations not paying their share. But, this discussion started out talking about welfare fraud, not the tax code. They are not the same thing.
    Ellen likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Regarding corporations. I don't think anyone wants to see corporations not paying their share. But, this discussion started out talking about welfare fraud, not the tax code. They are not the same thing.
    I think the subject was shirking responsibility. And if the law says that a corporation is a "person", well....

It all comes down to something I've said for years:
    The rich can afford it. The poor get it for free. And the guy in the middle is stuck paying for it all, or doing without.

This applies to rent, utilities, food, medical care, dental care, visual care, even college.

It's just wrong.
    Ellen, CantGetNuf, captain and 3 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Miss Scarlet, that's the best comment I have seen on the subject. You're so right.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I WAS SO CLOSE TO WINNING A 45 PERSON GAME TODAY!!

I had a dominating lead heading into the top 2 then the jerk turns into an all-in machine. So, figuring I can't just sit there and fold and let him take all my chips away, calls. Then he gets lucky on the last two cards. it pissed me off. Eventually he kept doubling up until he overtook me and won. That's not how I like to play.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm still thinking about the FORT multiplayer video games.

+ Reply to Thread