+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My former sister-in-law was in a work to welfare program in her area. She was on it for about a year and then was able to get a job. There are plenty of stories like that. I guess it's just that the voices telling those stories aren't as loud as the ones ranting about "welfare queens."

FB is just a microcosm. You can make of it what you want. I'm very careful about who I accept friend requests from and I make sure my privacy settings are locked up pretty tightly. It's been a great way for me to keep in touch with my family and friends - and it's helped me reconnect with some of them - who live all over the country. Plus it's helped me to start promoting my business. I know people who want to bash it, but it's been pretty much all positive for me. If there's any unpleasantness, it's pretty easy to block someone.

My cousin set up her FB with groups and most people are in the "acquaintance" group. Those people see occasional updates about mundane things. Only the "close friends" group sees pics of her kids and more personal stuff.

I play games on there occasionally, but I generally prefer to play them - especially Candy Crush - on my phone. I refuse to send people requests for lives or whatever to play more levels and on the iPhone version, you don't have to do that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's good to know! I was wondering if I could have personal pictures shown only to the people I want to see them. I don't understand the people who have like 400 friends on there. I'll be the one with 10 friends. Lol.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I have 103, most of whom are Survivor contestants that add fans. I'm obviously not too afraid to share my personal life. See what I posted here just today.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I just finished a 45 person poker tournament in 6th place. I was in the lead heading into the final six. Then I made a crippling call with two pair against a straight. Then I lost and fell down a lot. I ragefully went all in and got myself knocked out.

There are abusers of everything in life. I am glad those that need help can get it. I am all for helping people. I always have my ear tuned to people in need and help them out with my abundance. Working in a food bank opens up your eyes to a lot of things. Because I live in a small town I know a lot of the people who came for the groceries and knew some who were being dishonest. The food bank that supplies the groceries governs the food bank distributors on what their boundry lines are in the area they service and those outside the area were turned down and given a place to go. Even the ones who put their dogs name still get groceries they just had to take them off the list. No one is turned down as long as they can verify location of residence and have an ID.

My sister broke her leg one time and was out of work for 6 weeks and she is single and she couldn't get any help for food stamps or assistance even on an emergency basis. My parents had to help her til she got back to work. This is what makes me mad about our system. Our tax dollars fund these programs and yet certain ones can't access it when needed. My other sister was able to get help with utilities and some food stamps when her husband had cancer and she had to take care of him I was glad for that. I remember a man one time many years ago got mad because his wife couldn't have any more children because he wanted more state aid. He had a house full of kids already.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I have seen studies on just what people may get in the form of public assistance. In most states, you only qualify if you are a mother with children or are pregnant. Food stamps are different and men may qualify for them. But, the funds or stamps you get aren't that much. To make ends meet and feed your family on that is almost impossible. And getting off public assistance is difficult too. I saw a story on a woman who had been working almost 10 years in fast food. Based on her education and training, that's all she could get. She worked full time, yet was not able to survive. She paid her rent and light bill. She used food stamps for food and there was nothing left over. When you make that kind of money, you can't afford a car payment or car insurance or even clothes. She did have 2 kids. She didn't mention any child support. Sometimes you can fight for years to get that. If the father disappears, it's difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I saw a note on Facebook that said this:

"It is wrong to tax a working person almost to the breaking point, then give it to a person who is able to work, but refuses to"

What does it mean exactly
    JohnnyK, what this means is that people who get up every day and go to work to support themselves and their families should not be taxed to the point where they cannot live on what little money is left after taxes, if some of their money is going to people who physically CAN work but choose not to. It is not anti-welfare. Welfare is a necessity for those who are unable to work. It IS anti freeloader, lazy.
    KatesMom and AZChristian like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nobody wants to be on welfare.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Proshay, I wish that were true, but I know from my years of volunteering with a food pantry that it is not true. I remember that one client, when asked why she did not work said...and this is a direct quote: "I tried it once and didn't like it." There are other examples, but no need to post them here. I think that comment said it all. .
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Sorry, shay, I can't totally agree. Some people don't want to work. They find welfare to be their entitlement to allow them to follow that dream.

Watch Judge Judy, People's Court, etc. Between women in Section 8 housing with "government assistance" listed as their means of income who are suing for bad hair extensions, and the more recent proliferation of "crazy checks" (parents teaching their children to act autistic so they can get SSI) there ARE people who want to be on welfare more than they want to earn their own way.

I believe in assistance for those who CANNOT work, not for those who WILL NOT. And I'd love to see a crackdown on abuses.
    nennie, Miss Scarlet and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread