+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6764Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

No, he isn't avoiding responding. Maybe he just keeps forgetting. He's 77 with Alzheimer's. Once he even claimed to me on the phone that he doesn't know how to use the internet and "needs me there to help him understand how to email", for example. But he's been able to email in the past so I don't get it.

He should have someone there with him. As far as I know he lives alone.

I had forgotten that he is older. Maybe he did forget. At that age we kind of have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't know a lot about Alzheimers but I think they can know something one day, forget it the next and then remember again. You're right that he probably shouldn't be living alone. Does anybody look in on him?

Whatever you decide, you're doing the right thing by not rushing into a decision and thinking it over first. Listen to your gut.

I'm going to have to message you soon and get some poker tips. You're doing so well!
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Does anybody look in on him?
    I have no clue.

I just left him a voice mail anyway.

By the way, Norw, you're the one who brought up weed a while ago, right?

Well a couple weeks ago I went ahead and told my mom that I tried weed. She wasn't necessarily happy about it but at the same time she wasn't furious or traumatized. I made it clear to her that I didn't like it and don't have plans of starting again.

Which brings me to something else.

I'm watching Breaking Bad these days, and what's the craze on meth? I wouldn't even think about trying the stuff.

I think it's a mistake to tar every welfare recipient with the same brush, which is what a lot of people seem to do lately (not speaking of this thread). Of course there are people who will ALWAYS manipulate the system, but that doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority of people on welfare don't genuinely need it.

Since I got laid off and have been working on getting my business off the ground, I qualify for some of the low-income assistance from the local utility companies. I also have an iPhone that my parents bought for me and pay for monthly. I wear lots of "nice" jewelry because I make it myself and I wear good clothing because I shop sales. I dye my hair at home with products I buy with coupons. I also drive a fairly nice car that I won. From the outside, people would assume I have a lot more money than I do. Doesn't mean that some people showing up for welfare or food from the food bank aren't working the system. There just may be another explanation. In this economy especially there are a lot of people needing help who would never have dreamed they'd be in that position a few years ago...and their homes, clothing, cars, etc. show it.

I don't have nice nails. I'm a jewelry designer. Sometimes my nails look like they've been put through a wood chipper

ETA: I'm so sick of all the crap on FB blaming the poor (or teachers or unions...) for the bad economy.

I love FB to keep in touch with close friends and family, but I don't get involved in drama. I've blocked quite a few people to keep the drama out of my life.
    Last edited by Critical; 02-17-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    Punkin, Ellen and JohnnyK like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was mainly speaking of the woman who told me that her car payment was 700 a month and she couldn't buy food because of it. I've done a lot of volunteer work. When I left my abusive husband, I had a lot of help from a lot of people/places until I got myself together, so I would never assume anything.
    I only speak of the ones that I know for a fact came to the food bank because they spent their money on unnecessary things.
    I have been through a lot. I could curl your hair with some of my stories, I have never assumed anything about anybody. I don't speak of people unless I know the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I was mainly speaking of the woman who told me that her car payment was 700 a month and she couldn't buy food because of it. I've done a lot of volunteer work. When I left my abusive husband, I had a lot of help from a lot of people/places until I got myself together, so I would never assume anything.
    I only speak of the ones that I know for a fact came to the food bank because they spent their money on unnecessary things.
    I have been through a lot. I could curl your hair with some of my stories, I have never assumed anything about anybody. I don't speak of people unless I know the facts.
    But you know those people. I just think it's a mistake to assume that those people are the norm, which I know a lot of people do. I know people who absolutely need the assistance and who aren't like the people you spoke about.

A few years back, I drove a friend to a local food bank to pick up food. There was a long line of people (maybe 150) and not one person I saw didn't look like they really needed the assistance.

Like I said, there are always people who will work the system, but I think it's a mistake to think they're the majority.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I said also that there are people who need the help, I was one of them. I don't think what I wrote about is the norm at all.
    I bagged food and helped hundreds of people every day I volunteered, I only spoke of the few that weren't there for the right reasons.

Got it My frustration is that so many people take the experiences that you have had and translate that to "all those people on welfare are lazy and manipulating the system." I see such a lack of empathy in this country right now. It makes me very sad.
    Punkin, prhoshay, Ellen and 1 others like this.

Facebook is full of terrible people. The internet is full of terrible people. To that post, a lot of people would respond and voice their agreement and call everyone else leeches.

I agree Critical. I've had to "school" a few people about that. I don't know what I would have done without social services when I left my husband. They hid me out in a hotel secured my restraining order and started my divorce for me. That's why I volunteered. Trying to give back a little. I can never repay what they did for me.

My cousins in other areas heard I was thinking about getting Facebook and have all emailed me telling me they really want me to, so I probably will. I just don't like drama so I'll avoid that part of it, hopefully.

+ Reply to Thread