+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5881Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

CCL

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Welfare is not taxable in Canada. They would gave to pay tax on purchases (Gst/Hst) but they would get that money back via the Gst credit.

Not sure of the rules in the US.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

And is welfare and people on welfare generally looked down upon heavily? I find that post as blaming people on welfare for having to pay taxes.

My daughter has a friend on welfare, I don't think there's anything wrong with using it to get on/back on your feet. The problem is that this girl has 5 kids and she's 27, has never worked, can't afford the kids she already had, so she had another one to extend her welfare. She's also been trying for years to have one of her sons (she has all boys) diagnosed with autism so she can get Social Security benefits.

That's what I look down on. If somebody needs welfare to get through a hard time, I'm all for it but people like my daughter's friend make it hard for the people who really need a hand.
    I used to volunteer at the local food bank, I can't tell you how many women would drive up in a better car than mine, with expensive fake nails and the latest cell phone in their hands, coming to get free food. They would be dressed to the nines and their kids always looked ratty and unkempt.
    I always wanted to tell them that I could show them how to make a weeks worth of dinners on the money it would take to have their nails done.
    I mentioned how pretty one womans car was and she told me her car payments were 700 a month and her insurance for it was "outrageous". A 700 dollar a month car payment but you can't afford food for your kids. Some peoples priorities are ridiculous.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 02-16-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    shyra and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    My daughter has a friend on welfare, I don't think there's anything wrong with using it to get on/back on your feet. The problem is that this girl has 5 kids and she's 27, has never worked, can't afford the kids she already had, so she had another one to extend her welfare. She's also been trying for years to have one of her sons (she has all boys) diagnosed with autism so she can get Social Security benefits.

That's what I look down on. If somebody needs welfare to get through a hard time, I'm all for it but people like my daughter's friend make it hard for the people who really need a hand.
    I used to volunteer at the local food bank, I can't tell you how many women would drive up in a better car than mine, with expensive fake nails and the latest cell phone in their hands, coming to get free food. They would be dressed to the nines and their kids always looked ratty and unkempt.
    I used to work at a food bank operated by our church and we would see the very same thing. We even had lawyers come in and get food. Abuse of the system always makes it hard for those who really need the help short term. Had my sister not taken her grandkids away from her daughter all they would have ever known was state aid and food stamps.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Its crazy isn't it Nennie? It used to make me so mad. I edited my comment because I had remembered something else. I had to stop volunteering because it was becoming harder to not tell some of them what I thought about their priorities.

System manipulation is something different. That is not fair.

Honestly, I asked because my mom has been on it for a long time. After leaving my dad with two kids to take care of in a country where she barely knew the language and also having suffered some permanent damage from the relationship, what could she have done.

And I just raged my way to a win in a 9 person poker game. It took over an hour but I won.
    Punkin likes this.

System abusers make me mad. If you need it and you can't get by any other way that is one thing but to get it just because you are too lazy to work then that burns my rear.

NorwIndian I fully understand. Saw a lot volunteering in the food bank. We had one couple come in and use their dogs as dependents so they could get extra groceries. We knew these people personally and we told the person over it and she checked it out and stopped it and this couple was also coming in and getting his mother's groceries and then not giving them to her. Finally they started making everyone show id's and utility bills just to stop some of the people that were lying. This food bank only serviced a certain area and couldn't give to people out of the area. they would have to go their own area food bank and we saw a lot of mad people because of it. What they were doing was going to multiple food banks which isn't allowed. what these people didn't want to understand was this food was to help out not feed your family for the month. They could only come and get food once a month.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

JohnnyK, I don't think your mom would or should be looked down on for that. It sounds like she went through some hard times and had a hard time getting back on her feet. Nothing wrong with that. And good job on winning....again.
    Have you made a decision yet about going to see your dad?

Nennie, I never had people try to use their dogs, but I did have somebody bring in other peoples kids and say they were theirs. Somebody there knew them and told the people running it that they didn't have any kids.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 02-17-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Have you made a decision yet about going to see your dad?
    Well, it's hard to reach out to him and communicate. He doesn't respond to my emails and when I happen to talk to him on the phone he finds reasons to go against each of our requests. He usually calls when I'm in bed, which is like around 5 am. I can't keep calling him because that's long distance. So I don't know. If he responded to my emails it would be easier. Nobody's there with him to help him out with this stuff either.

That sucks. It sounds like you may be better off waiting to make a decision. I can't imagine not responding to my kids calls or emails. Its his loss. He's the one who is missing out on a great son.

+ Reply to Thread