+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

NorwIndian you are going to love Facebook. They have lots of time wasting games. I've reunited with old friends and been able to stay hidden from those I don't care to reconnect with. My whole family is on there. The bad thing is that most of the time I hear big news from facebook. Like my dad's job he'd been with for 20yrs shut down. If it wasn't for FB I wouldn't have even known. So now we all joke that it's not official until it's on facebook.

I have two tattoos. One is a tribal armband. The other is a rose with a little banner under it with my husbands name. I have always wanted to expand it with more flowers and my kids names but never have had the money. I was also worried if I let myself do everything I wanted to then I'd end up as the tattoo lady. But if my grandkids ever want to get matching tattoos I would do it in a heartbeat!
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I finally was able to get out and go for a mani-pedi yesterday. The sight and feel of my hands and feet was about to give me a nervous breakdown. I was the first person at the shop, which was good, since school was cancelled yesterday and all of the mothers with children showed up. I am all better now!

I swear, this is the winter that will never end. I still prefer the changes of the seasons.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Never ending winter is right! I've done major shoveling the last 3 days and it's snowing hard again!
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I chewed out a complete stranger this morning, and I'm not sorry.

We were doing our usual Saturday canal walk. As we approached the crossing on Main Street (4 busy lanes of traffic, 45 MPH), we saw a man with a little girl (about 4) and a Yorkie (UNLEASHED) approaching as well. The little girl ran ahead about 20 steps because she wanted to press the crosswalk button. She got to the button, when the dog darted out into the street.

Brakes were squealing and Dad looked at the little girl and said "stay there" as he darted out into the street after the dog. We got to the little girl and gently told her we were going to stay right there with her until her Daddy got back. And the whole time I was praying out loud, "Dear Lord, PLEASE protect that doggie, and don't let us have to witness it being hit by a car."

The dog made it safely across the street and continued on, apparently headed toward her home. Dad doubled back to the crosswalk, and when he reached the side of the street opposite us, we walked the little girl across the street to him.

He said, "I can't believe she (the dog) did that. This is my first time walking her without a leash, and I didn't think she'd run into the street like that."

At which point, I went off on him.

"You don't know me, but I have to tell you something. It's the LAW that you keep your dog on a leash, so that things like what just happened won't happen. I was standing over there terrified that your little girl was going to have to witness her dog being run over by a car. We just lost our Yorkie 6 months ago, and I didn't want to see this little girl going through the grief that we've been feeling. If you love that dog - and especially if you love that little girl - KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH."

He was so shocked that he didn't say anything (like "thanks for taking care of the child I abandoned on the roadside because I'm so stupid"). He just turned around and walked away.

And if I had it to do over again, I'd do it.
    Punkin, Lil Bit, Brooks and 2 others like this.

Good for you AZ. I think I would have said much much worse. What an idiot.
    AZChristian likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Never ending winter is right! I've done major shoveling the last 3 days and it's snowing hard again!
    We came back from 84 degrees and no snow..but looking n CNN, we felt horrible for all of you digging out( still digging out)
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have been truly blessed. My snows have been more dustings than anything else. We did get about 4 inches one day, but that was about as bad as it's gotten. We got a dusting last night, but it's all gone now. I have to say that I am glad it's other people and not us. Looking for 50-60 next week.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    I think being a newlywed and starting a family is a difficult combination, but at the same time, I am grateful that I had my children while I was young, so if I had to do it over again, I'd do it the same way.

After 30 years I consider my husband my absolute best friend. That's not to say that I haven't been tempted to push him over a cliff a time or two, like last week when...
    Having children when you are younger, you get to do more with them, and you are still sort of young when grandchildren come along *vbg* you have that to look forward to. I saw my youngest this morning, gave her a little gift from Mexcio and she loved it..
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I had my kids young. Too young. I had my second child 3 months after I turned 19. I'm glad I had them young but I did it way too young. My daughter waited until she was 25 to have her kids. I had people tell me that she was too young but I don't think so.
    And yes, being a younger grandma is great! My grandkids other grandma is in her 70s. She's the "put your mittens on or you'll catch a cold" grandma and I'm the "lets go jump in puddles and get soaked" grandma. The other grandma doesn't like me too much. Oh well!
    I do try to talk the other grandma up to the kids though. If it was reversed, I'd be devastated if the kids preferred her over me. I try to keep saying good things about her so the kids will want to spend time with her too, which they really don't like doing.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 02-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

I would have given him hell too, AZ. What an idiot. If that dog had been killed, it would have been so traumatizing for his daughter. She would have remembered it for the rest of her life.

I used to work at an art museum and, no surprise, dogs (other than service dogs) weren't allowed. I had to turn away more than one person who wanted to bring their dog into the museum in a purse. Once, in the middle of summer when it was at least in the mid-90's, I had a patron ask me if he could come back in if he left. I told him he could and then he explained that his puppy was in the car and he needed to give it water and let it out to walk. As soon as he walked out the door - I was too shocked to even reply - I got online and found an information sheet with the statistics about temperatures in a closed car and how quickly they can kill an animal. I did go look out and see that the dog was still alive and had the paper ready for when he came back in. He never did. I probably would have gotten in trouble if he'd been angry, but I just knew I couldn't let it go without saying something.

I can't believe that still happens, but several times every summer there's a story of a dog found in a locked car and someone calling the fire department. The dog owners are always shocked and don't understand what all the fuss is about.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread