+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6407Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I wasn't really sure where to put this. But I have to share my escapades. Call it Adventures in a snow drift.
    As I am leaving work, it is starting to snow. It is not too bad out yet, a little windy. The weather service is calling for a winter storm, again up to 14 inches of snow overnight. I have to go to the store anyway, so I call my mom to see if she needs anything. She asks me to pick a couple things, just in case. I am planning on bundling up a little and walking, since my house, the store and mom's house are within 8 - 10 blocks. I don't plan on buying more than I can carry. Before I leave, my SO calls. I tell him I am just leaving. He says, "No, I will come get you." I protest, but he insists, "It is getting bad out. I'll bring the Bronco. No problem." Famous last words. The Bronco is a manly vehicle, big snow tires, 4 wheel drive, V8, with many manly upgrades, fancy stereo, alarm system, etc.
    He comes to get me. There's already a decent snow covering on the sidewalk where I'd swept off the snow when I got home from work. Since I now don't have carry bags home, I buy a little more than I had planned at the store.
    Now it is snowing hard and the wind has picked up. It is dark out.
    After last week's storm my brother had shoveled mom's driveway and walks. Shortly thereafter, a snow plow came by and left a pile of snow along the curb including the bottom of mom's drive. Well, Mom wasn't feeling well and wasn't going anywhere by herself anyway, so brother hadn't gone back to clear out the bottom of the drive. Now SO can't pull over very close to the curb, so he puts the emergency blinkers on. We go in to mom's house and give her the stuff. It is never going to be a minute visit and I should know better, but its Mom. What're you gonna do? We're there maybe 15 - 20 minutes. We go out and the snow is getting deep. Our tracks from before are covered from the windblown snow. I am having to jump-step to get around the snow drifts. Snow is well past my ankles in places.
    SO goes to start the car and it. won't. start.
    Since the driveway is blocked, there's no way were getting mom's car out for a jump. Mom calls the next door neighbor, who comes right over. I go back to the truck to let SO know. SO and neighbor hook up the cables. I get out of the truck to say hi and clean off the windows. I shut the door. SO tries to turn it over. No luck. He gets out to check the connections and shuts his door. 10 seconds later, I hear 'click.' The fancy-schmancy alarm/security system has locked the doors. I ask SO if he has the keys. Nope, they're inside the truck. He doesn't have the spare remote, which he usually carries in his pocket. Neighbor graciously offers to drive SO across town so he can get the remote. I decide to stay at mom's. By now, we are all wet with snow. My hair is dripping in my eyes and down my back. My jeans are wet to mid-calf. The temperature has dropped considerably.
    When they come back, SO brings his electric battery charger. Hook it up and within minutes the truck is started and off we go. It is a mess! The streets have a layer of snow covering a layer of ice. Oh, man! Is it hairy!
    Whew! I am finally snug in my little home. I put on some sweatpants, fresh and warm from the dryer. SO called when he got home, so he's safe and sound, too. I am going to crawl into bed and hope that I don't have to go out in this tomorrow.
    We are on the outer fringes of the storm. The brunt of it is hitting the I-25 corridor in Colorado, again. To any FoRTers in that area: Be careful. Stay safe and warm!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2188987;
    Someone mentioned the Walmart fabric department and I wanted to ask, has anyone heard that Walmart will stop selling fabrc? I was told that they will stop selling it on February 28 at our local stores. I don't use much fabric any more but I have a ton of it. I hate to see them stop selling it. We have Hancock's fabrics but it is quite a distance from me.
    Gah! I hadn't heard this at all! I love Walmart's $1/yard fabric. I use it to make the test pattern because why try to find muslin when you can just by goofy cheap fabric at Walmart at midnight. This sucks! We have just a Hancock and some high-end upholstery fabric stores, so I guess I'd better get over there & stock up on the buck-a-yard fabric, because I sure as hell don't have good skills on sewing and need my practice material.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmoj;2188993;
    MyRosieDog and MamaC

Look what I just found! I couldn't believe it. ]
    I'm signing up to wait for one of these too: I finally got rid of most of my lps but have hundreds of cassettes I'd love to copy. Thanks!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmoj;2188993;
    MyRosieDog and MamaC

Look what I just found! I couldn't believe it.

Get it at thinkgeek.com
    Wow!!!!! This is much cheaper and when I'm done, I could resell it on ebay! along with all those LP's.

Thanks

Anemone, that sounds like the luck I usually have. Glad you are safe, warm and bundled up.
    We are back down to the 30's after a week of shirt sleeve weather in the mid 70's last week.
    I could just see all this happening in your story. Glad you all made it out ok. But the difference is that I have been married now for 18 years, so there would have been significant yelling and blaming going on on both sides during this "event". And how well I understand about the "manly" vehicles. I am married to a manly man and I can't even drive his truck and I've driven standard transmissions for YEARS, but this one is just to hard for me to drive AND it does not have automatic steering. So you have to be the incredible hulk to turn the steering wheel. I accused him of getting it so I would stay out of it.

Stay safe and warm.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-29-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2189446;
    I'm signing up to wait for one of these too: I finally got rid of most of my lps but have hundreds of cassettes I'd love to copy. Thanks!
    How funny! I was just asking someone the other day if there was a way to copy old cassettes to cd because I have some Christmas ones I'd hate to get rid of. This sounds like a good product but still a little too costly for me. Maybe I can get one from ebay!

That little gadget sounds great, I still have a ton of tapes I would love to get on the computer.

Went and saw Bob Seger last night, the concert was great but reminds me why I like concerts outdoors better. It was packed and the seats are so narrow and it's so hard to move around. Outdoors ones you can at least move to the hill or the edge of the pavillion if you want a little room and still hear and see what is going on.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;2188506;
    That's funny, Marley, because we went out to eat at Buca tonight! Man, I ate way too much . . . the bruschetta is my weakness.

Incidentally, though we didn't eat in the room, my mom went into the Pope room and spun his head around.
    Sure, Manny, rub it in. Next time I come to your town I will have to go there since that's about the closest location to me now except for Minneapolis. Oh, and at your mom spinning the Pope's head around. Did they change the head to the one of the new Pope?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    anemone, I'm so glad you're safe and sound! Your SO sounds like a wonderful guy. And your family sounds very sweet, making sure that your mother is OK and has all the supplies she needs. I hate going out in bad weather and always like to have a full stocked pantry of pastas and canned goods and bottled water--just in case something happens and we're unable to get to the store. I need to restock our car with stuff. I always keep a blanket and sleeping bag (the kind that's supposed to be good for freezing weather) along with some food and water in the car, along with all the jumper cables etc. I never had any need to use them, but I like the feeling of having them there. Just in case.

anemone, you are one precious daughter........ Your mom is a lucky gal...
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp;2189572;
    That little gadget sounds great, I still have a ton of tapes I would love to get on the computer.

Went and saw Bob Seger last night, the concert was great but reminds me why I like concerts outdoors better. It was packed and the seats are so narrow and it's so hard to move around. Outdoors ones you can at least move to the hill or the edge of the pavillion if you want a little room and still hear and see what is going on.
    How did he sound? He's coming to Charlotte but I can't go. Or he may have been there. Still couldn't go.

I'd LOVE to see him. Glad you had a good time except for the seating. I know what you mean about being crowded into seats.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread