+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7139Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Putting this in perspective:
    Last week our temperatures were in the 30 BELOW's at night. No, that's not wind chill. That's the real Farenheit temperatures. In the daytime, we were lucky if it went above 0 for the highs.
    Then last weekend we had the snow dumped on us. No it wasn't an inch or two, like everyone is complaining about. We got over 10 inches over 2-3 days. Then it kept coming lightly for the next few days. It wouldn't melt off because it was just too darned cold! So it just kept piling up.

Did the Government issue a State of Emergency? No
    Did they ask for Federal Disaster Funds? No
    Did we have to evacuate? No
    Did the businesses close? No
    Did the schools close? Not even for a minute.
    Did we have major traffic jams or wrecks or anything else like that? No
    Did we become the big news story? No
    Were there pictures all over the internet? No
    Did the media even mention us? No

What did happen? We just dealt with it. Quietly & a bit grumpily.
    That's why there was no news story.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I cannot even imagine, Miss Scarlet. -30 degrees F? Wow!!! We rarely go below the teens here on Long Island but we have had a few degrees below zero this winter, in the early morning hours, which then warmed up a bit. Are you in the U.S. or Canada, if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like a freaking horror story, and one that would completely incapacitate me, Miss Scarlett! Where in the heck are you? Canada?

In all fairness, when the climate is very cold like that, the infrastructure and emergency services are more set up to deal with it. In places like Atlanta, where it's cold like this, what? once every 3 or 4 years (maybe), they're just not. Where would the money come from to buy that many snow plows to be used only a two or three times a decade?

It's not just that's it's bloody freaking cold; it's that the cold is really unusual and the regions where it's happening are not set up to deal with it. I'd expect regions where sub-zero cold is more of an annual event to be able to handle it without as many problems as we're seeing in areas of the US.

If it snowed heavily in my city, I'd expect it to be pandemonium because it pretty much NEVER snows here and, if it does, it's a tiny sprinkling that melts almost as soon as it hits the ground. I'd be shocked if my city owned even ONE snow plow. I know the homes aren't insulated to deal with temperatures much below about 25 because we rarely get temps that low.
    Ellen and Lil Bit like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I cannot even imagine, Miss Scarlet. -30 degrees F? Wow!!! We rarely go below the teens here on Long Island but we have had a few degrees below zero this winter, in the early morning hours, which then warmed up a bit. Are you in the U.S. or Canada, if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm in Montana. Yep, that state nobody likes to admit exists, & for those who do admit it, they don't realize real people live here. We work here, have schools here. Most of us don't live out in the country, on farms, in the hills, in cabins, or anything else people think.
    We live in cities, have paved streets, electricity, drive cars-not horses, have freeways, convention centers, have malls, Walmart, K-Mart, Wendy's, Subway, a lot of the chain stuff. We have high speed internet, cell phones, direct TV (at least most people do-I'm an anomaly). We have technologically advanced Hospitals & one of the best school systems in the country.

What don't we have? Any national news coverage for anything that goes on in the State.

However, Eastcoastmom, our weather may be the frozen pit of the country, but we don't have the kind of snow you have. You get as much or more snow in the NorthEast. Plus, yours is that high-humidity weighty snow. I've been there, I know. Dealing with a foot of your snow is a whole different ballgame. Like trying to plow a foot of wet cement.

You're right too, Critical. We have the infrastructure. We know what we're dealing with & in general, are prepared. Those plows are out & going ASAP. By Monday, all the major roads were drivable. The highways, darned near clear.
    Cars are usually using studded snow tires. Cars are also either garaged or plugged in, sometimes both. No, I'm not talking about electric cars here. We have block heaters in them, so the engines & fluids don't freeze up. Even the Winter antifreeze is of a higher caliber to accomodate the super low temperatures.

There are a few advantages: Not many street people, except in the Summer. And our Summers are lovely, albeit short.

Montana sounds like a beautiful place. I think I would like the snow for a little while.

We in NC are not prepared to handle much snow or ice. I heard that New Orleans has ZERO snow plows! lol

I used to think that we had so much trouble on the roads with snow, because us southerners were not used to driving in it, BUT now, that can't be truel We have a huge amount of yankees in the Triangle Area. Many people are transplants from the north, yet we still have the traffic problems.

Speaking of ICE....I can hear ice hitting the windows outside now.........I was dreading this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Ah yes, the block heaters. When we took our cruise of the Inside Passage of Alaska, we were surprised to find out that the cities there like Sitka, Ketchikan, and Juneau the capital, rarely get sub zero temperatures. We had pictured Alaska in our mind as a frozen tundra. Indeed, the tour guide said in those areas their winters see temps of only around 32 F and don't get much snow. Another tour guide we had was from the interior, in Fairbanks. He clued us in to how the downtown shopping districts all had electric outside of the storefront so folks could plug in their block heaters. Otherwise, a short trip to the grocers could freeze up the engine and fluids.

Montana is a state I don't know much about. I have seen an episode or two of House Hunters which featured your state but I can't quite remember which city. Maybe Bozeman? It looked gorgeous, though, from what I've seen.

My hubby was an auto mechanic for NYC Dept of Sanitation for over 30 years. I have to say that by and large NYC does a great job of plowing/salting/sanding their many streets. Any time they predicted a big snowstorm my hubby had to be on call in case the plows went down. We've always owned trucks with 4 wheel drive so he never had an issue getting into work or home from work. However, when we moved to suburbia, outside of the city limits, we found that they did a much worse job than the city.

Trust me. If you had to live in & deal with the snow as much as we do, you wouldn't like it. That pretty white stuff in pictures isn't pretty when you have to shovel it or drive in it. Plus, when it melts you have a mucky, dirty mess.
    The worst part is the cold that comes with it, although when it gets really cold, you don't go out in it unless necessary, & even then, it's only to the car & then to a heated building. It's not like we're out building snowmen at -35. Even the pets don't want to go outside to pee.
    Punkin likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Hey, Miss Scarlet . . . I'm going through Montana in August. Will it be thawed out by then? LOL. We'll be stopping to see the site of Custer's Last Stand.

Thanks everybody. I don't want to interrupt the conversation, I just wanted to check in, so to speak. I go into the hospital on the 24th and have my surgeries the next morning.
    They are saying that my latest Xrays show that one of the rods in my spine is no longer where it should be so it has to be removed and replaced. They think that because I lost so much weight after my accident that the body cast got too loose and that caused the rod to slip. They said the next cast will have to be tighter. I'm claustrophobic and had a really hard time with the last cast so I'm nervous about that.
    When the Dr called the other day, I got off the phone and had a temper tantrum of epic proportions. I yelled and screamed and broke things, beat the heck out of my pillow and threw my walker across the room. I'm a little embarrassed about it but I couldn't help it. The xanax helped.

I've been really down the past few days and am trying hard to snap out of it. What's the point of crying about something that has to be done. I went through a period where I thought about refusing the surgeries but my son talked me out of it.
    I was just starting to get some independence and now I'll be starting back from square one.

I'm keeping all of you expecting the storm in my good thoughts. I wish you all safety and warmth.
    Miss Scarlett, my husband says the same thing when I tell him that I wish we lived in a snowy area. He says "no....you don't". Its beautiful to look at, but I'll stay in sunny California.

Good luck everybody and thanks again.
    Punkin likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

+ Reply to Thread