+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5651Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Pay attention, people....today, I got an email entitled "Death notification" some place called "Eubank Funeral Home"; that's all. I didn't open it, but I did research it online; found out that it's an attempt to get you to download malware by clicking on the links in the esmail. Apparently, this is something new that's going around, and it may come to you with other funeral home names that may even be more familiar to you. When there was no decedent's name in the address, I start smelling a rat immediately. From what I've read, there have also been "Wedding invitation" emails, too, with the same purposes of downloading malware.

Just wanted to make my FoRT family aware that this crap is out there, and you might be seeing it. Don't fall for the okey-doke!
    Punkin, cablejockey, shyra and 2 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Pay attention, people....today, I got an email entitled "Death notification" some place called "Eubank Funeral Home"; that's all. I didn't open it, but I did research it online; found out that it's an attempt to get you to download malware by clicking on the links in the esmail. Apparently, this is something new that's going around, and it may come to you with other funeral home names that may even be more familiar to you. When there was no decedent's name in the address, I start smelling a rat immediately. From what I've read, there have also been "Wedding invitation" emails, too, with the same purposes of downloading malware.

Just wanted to make my FoRT family aware that this crap is out there, and you might be seeing it. Don't fall for the okey-doke!
    I've been getting similar emails from scammers pretending to be Amazon. The emails usually contain a zipped file, which Amazon never does. Sometimes the ISP catches and quarantines it; sometimes it lands in my suspect box or inbox. The perps change the sender address fairly often. I know not to open these suckers, but they're annoying nonetheless.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've gotten those fake Amazon emails, too telling they will let me know when my order from whatever imaginary date...that I never placed...had shipped. If nothing else, these scammers are persistent.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I haven't seen any, well not in my main email. Gmail everything ends up in spam..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've been getting emails from people that I don't know about something I do have an interest in such as Free CLE (Continuing Legal Education) credit. I just delete it. It could be legit, but I won't take the chance.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

My latest has been an email about my NatWest credit card. Scam. I didn't think I had a NatWest credit card, but with banks selling off various pieces (Bank of America recently sold my mortgage!), I wasn't sure. I googled it, and yeah, it was a scam.

It used to be easy to tell the scams by the spelling and grammatical errors. But they've gotten very good.

And, it used to be that you could tell a phishing email because they didn't address you by name (just "Dear Valued Customer," etc.) But now I get phishing emails that use my name. And some real notifications (like my automatic payment for Kaiser health insurance) comes addressed to "Dear Member".

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Watch out for phone scams, too. Our HOA recently warned us that there are calls coming in about people ignoring their jury duty notifications. When they say, "I never got any notification," the called says, "That's strange. Let me check that. What is your SS number and date of birth?"

Zoom - there goes your identity.

My policy is that if I didn't send for it, it's BS and I'm moving on. I know my credit cards, and I know my companies.

I don't waste my time answering calls from numbers that I don't know; leave a message and I MAY get back to you after I check out your phone number, which usually is reported to be scammers or something I'm not interested in anyway. Just plug the number into Google, and you will usually get what you are looking for.
    AZChristian likes this.

If I am not sure about an e-mail, I open it at school. They have ridiculous firewalls. Is that bad?
    Count your blessings!

I had a good event today! I sent my son a Cadillac of a can opener in June, but he never received it; ordered it through Amazon from another seller (WineStuff). I sent an inquiry, in December, about an order not received and they didn't hesitate to re-ship! He received it today!! I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't require anything extra, since we were both under the impression that it had been received. I'm sure it's a 'definite maybe' that "somebody" acquired the first one. I was very unhappy!

+ Reply to Thread