+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6260Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Gutmutter - if you haven't already done so, search Google for "knee replacement recovery." There is all sorts of info out there, varying from "up and around in no time" (not realistic) to more realistic timelines for recovery. I hope your mom is one of those "no time" folks, but at 82 it's better to be more realistic.
    I did Google it, and found the same as you - a variety of opinions. Ellen - I'd be happy for your mom's input.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I never realized that there was a total knee replacement AND a partial knee replacement (just heard that on tv today). I guess it only makes sense that there would be. Can't help but wonder if it's worth it to get a partial...will you eventually going to have to go in for a full?

The idea of any of it creeps me out.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, my knee, hip and leg have been bothering me lately. It's scary. I've started doing stretches and it's really helping. Knock on wood.

I found some good tips for the knee replacement. It's on a site I couldn't post here. Here's a summary:

Automatic Ice maker or Continuous Ice Pack Machine. Doctor may provide this in advance. They say it's great.
    Continuous Passive Motion Machine. ( I think it move the leg ever so slightly.)
    Comfort Height Toilet.
    Shower chair
    Blow dry incision, don't rub.
    Light food, yogurt, applesauce, etc. plus fiber as pain pills constipate
    Extension cords
    bedside table
    Ice cuff
    Pillows in lots of shapes and sizes
    Book to log meds and times taken
    Sectioned pill box
    A reacher that you can pick things up so you don't have to bend.
    Cell phone and charger

All I read said expect lots of pain and take the meds to keep it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, my knee, hip and leg have been bothering me lately. It's scary. I've started doing stretches and it's really helping. Knock on wood.
    Debb, I know from firsthand experience that frequently comes from a foot problem; it's all connected; it's about alignment; I also suffered with plantar fasciitis. I saw a podiatrist, and he prescribed custom orthotics for my shoes. It made all of the difference in the world. My insurance covered it. They mold it to your foot, like a cast; my only issue with it was that it wore out. I eventually went to the Good Feet store and got ones that wouldn't wear out; I don't know how I lived without them now. There were times I would go without them for a while and my hip and back pain would return until I got it through my head to start wearing them again. All better, in no time. Haven't seen my podiatrist in years.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks Debb70 - I copied and pasted that list to my mom. If you think there was more I could use, you could PM me the link.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Debb, I know from firsthand experience that frequently comes from a foot problem; it's all connected; it's about alignment; I also suffered with plantar fasciitis. I saw a podiatrist, and he prescribed custom orthotics for my shoes. It made all of the difference in the world. My insurance covered it. They mold it to your foot, like a cast; my only issue with it was that it wore out. I eventually went to the Good Feet store and got ones that wouldn't wear out; I don't know how I lived without them now. There were times I would go without them for a while and my hip and back pain would return until I got it through my head to start wearing them again. All better, in no time. Haven't seen my podiatrist in years.
    Good point. You're right. I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. In fact, I had it almost constantly for two years. I finally got some relief a few months ago, but then the lower back, hip and leg start hurting. I'm very careful with shoes and do have some I got from the Walking Company that has a built in orthotic.

I have had bad experiences with the slip in othotic years ago, but perhaps I should give it another go.

I've been doing stretches for sciatica, since that is what it sounds like. Goes from the lower back, into my left hip, down the back and side of my leg and down to the knee. The stretching and walking on my heels has helped a lot.

I may reschedule with the doctor just to make sure what it is.

Don't know that I'd get something built in since I like to use them with different shoes. It is HELL getting used to them, too, and it takes several days of wearing them a few minutes/day....and that became almost more than I could bear, but once I got used to them, nothing has ever helped me as much. I've got some for my heels/dress shoes, too.
    Debb70 likes this.

I have those insets from the Good Feet store and they saved me. I got to where I couldn't walk hardly at all. I don't wear them much now but if I am going to be on my feet for a long period of time in my shoes they go. I got all 3 pair. They are a life saver and is the best money I have ever spent. Didn't know if I was ever going to adjust to them but it just takes awhile.
    prhoshay likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Hi everybody! Long time no "see"! I've popped in and read a few times but have been trying hard to keep myself busy so haven't had time to join in.

My trip was nice. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. But I think it was just too soon for me. I guess I'm not quite as independent as I thought I was. I spent most of the time in the room watching movies but the driving part was great. I really missed being out there on the road. We had some great quality time during the drive.
    I'm going to wait a while before I attempt another trip.

Its ironic that I came in during the knee replacement talk. I saw my surgeons yesterday for some Xrays and tests and they're recommending a right hip replacement. My hip isn't healing as they had hoped it would and it will continue to hamper my walking progress until I have the surgery.
    I was hoping that I was done with surgeries, at least for a few years. This will be my fifth one in a year. But I've never been a whiner so I'll pull up my big girl panties and just deal with it. No sense complaining when I don't really have much choice.
    They aren't sure when they are going to operate, but they want to do it within the next month. SIGH...

Before I got that news, I had had a talk with myself and told myself that even though the trip wasn't what I wanted and that I have to accept that there are things I just can't do, there are a lot of things that I can do, so I have been taking some classes. The little Adult Ed school is only about 2 miles down the main road from my house.
    It's a family joke that I make the best tasting, but ugliest cakes ever so I am taking a cake decorating class. I love to cook and bake so I'm taking a knife skills class too, that's a fun class! I've been holding my knife wrong for years! Lol.
    I'm enrolled in a creative writing class but it doesn't start for a month so I won't be able to take that one, it starts right around the time they want to do the next surgery.
    It was nice having that independence, the school is only a short taxi ride away, I felt like a real person for a while.

Gutmutter, personally speaking, a week after my surgeries, I was feeling like crap and didn't want any company except my immediate family. Everybody is different though and everybody has a different pain threshold. She may be feeling cooped up by that point and want some company.
    Sorry. I know I'm not much help.
    Punkin, prhoshay, shyra and 3 others like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

FWIW, my mother has had both knees replaced and had one hip replaced last October. The hip recovery time was much faster, though the in hospital stay was about a day longer (3.5 to 4.5). I know there are some places that do hips in a one day procedure, but I'm not sure how those go. She was on Oxy for the knees, but that makes her depressed/weird afterward, so the hip replacement came with a different pain killer. In any event, she was on the pain killers for under a week but (for all 3 surgeries) had in home health care/physical therapy for about 3 weeks and then another 6 weeks or so of out patient PT, 3 times a week. I'm glad to say that she's no longer hobbling around like late year Yoda, because at 67, she is way too young to walk like that.

That being said, good luck to both Debb and NorwIndian.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread