+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6169Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Reading about what is helpful when somebody has had a major surgery and needs to have somebody there to care for them has made me realize that, like when there's been a death, food is such an excellent idea. I will remember that. Very important.
    Punkin and Kip like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm going to insist that she have her doctor give her everything in writing since there will be a series of us giving her care. This may sound stupid, but by electrolytes, do you mean things like Gatorade?
    Count your blessings!

Gatorade does replenish electrolytes. Hydration is important, however you can get it in. The question is, what will she tolerate? I am sure she will let you know!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Reading about what is helpful when somebody has had a major surgery and needs to have somebody there to care for them has made me realize that, like when there's been a death, food is such an excellent idea. I will remember that. Very important.
    I agree! When my DIL had surgery I took dinner to them three times, and her mom (sadly, an inferior cook to me, and all votes are in on that)took the other three days. This was much appreciated by the family and the "other mother" and I had fun planning the meals together. (I had extra fun, knowing my dishes would be better than hers.)

At a time of planned surgery the best thing to do is to arrange beforehand that you'll be by to drop off dinner on a given post-surgical date. That way your very brief visit will be welcomed. And the patient and caregiver will enjoy your efforts.

I passed along some of your suggestions to my mom. I also said that I assumed she would be sleeping in the guest room on the ground floor and asked if her couch was comfortable for naps. She had been planning to sleep in her bedroom at the top of a steep flight of stairs (I have scarring memories of trying to get my drunk sister up those stairs in high school! ). Now I'm even more concerned that she really doesn't have a clue about what her recovery is going to entail. I told her to start a list of questions to bring with her to her consultation on Tuesday. She has already invited the lady I used to babysit for and my brother for dinner on the same night, but that's ok. They're both people who will understand and help if things are dicey. Plus, I may need a diversion, myself by that point.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, I'll be sitting beside you in spirit, so feel free to talk to me if needed!! lol

Goodness, it sounds like she is under the impression that this is going to be "a walk in the park". People I know who have had this surgery say it is anything but. People who have even just had a tooth pulled are not in the mood for much that same night.....can you imagine hot "unfun" it is going to be for a main weight-bearing joint?? My friends have had to utilize wheelchairs, before walkers....but that may have been multiple years ago.

Thank goodness I don't have joint and bone issues in my family history! I am a lousy patient. I'm in the "leave me alone and let me croak" league.
    Punkin, Kip and AZChristian like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Gutmutter - if you haven't already done so, search Google for "knee replacement recovery." There is all sorts of info out there, varying from "up and around in no time" (not realistic) to more realistic timelines for recovery. I hope your mom is one of those "no time" folks, but at 82 it's better to be more realistic.

Keep us posted!

There is an insurance commercial that uses an old song, "Black Betty". I do remember when the song was popular, but I never knew what it was about, but I could/can sing parts of it. I decided to look it up and what I found out was very interesting. Black Betty was a number of things: a musket with the stock painted black ( the musket with an unpainted walnut stock was said to be it's child a "Brown Bess", a bottle of whiskey just to name 2. "Bam-ba-lam" was referring to the sound of the gunfire. This all came about in the 18th century. Most interesting. It was used as a marching cadence.

That was a good education!

Gutmutter: My mom has had both knees replaced, plus a replacement on one of the faux knees (these suckers wear out). I'll be glad to email her for advice, if you'd like.
    (Disclaimer: my mom is a total wuss as regards even the least bit of pain, even though that when I had a crushed vertebra at age 9, she scolded me for crying and disturbing other patients. Because of the nature of my injury, I was put in the adult medical ward not pediatrics. As a result, I have a very high threshold of pain, and to my hubby's chagrin, don't tolerate whining....but that's another topic...)
    Anyway, I'll ask my mom and post her response (IF she responds) I'm sure she'll have some useful info as a thrice-vet.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread