+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6960Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

She won't be up entertaining a week after. My mother had both knees replaced and recoup time is 6 weeks and I am sure they will send her home with a machine that will work that knee and if I remember correctly with my mother it had to be done several times a day and for a few weeks. Knee surgery has come a long way so it may be different now.
    Punkin and angelic_one2002 like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

That sounds pretty much like my mother's experience too, nennie. Most people don't feel much like having company while they are in pain. I'd advise her to wait until after the surgery to see how many or who she might like to see. I should think she'll find you to be plenty of entertainment for her, Gutmutter!

I agree with the others to wait until after the surgery. Both my parents have had knee replacements at different times. My dad responded very well and other than some pain he was fine and up for visitors. My mom had a different reaction. I think it also depends on how much pain medication she needs - and how out of it she is as a result. Again, my dad didn't take much and he was fine. My mom needed more and spent most of the first week sleeping. They were both in their 60's when they had the surgery, so they were younger. She may be up for company and for a visit, but she is not going to be able to help you with any prep. My own personal opinion only, but asking you to do all that prep isn't really why you are going there, right?!

I think a pretty good rule of thumb is that if she needs you or any other realtive there to help her or take care of her, then she is NOT ready to entertain.
    Unless you want to do everything, prepare everything, clean up everything, in addition to taking care of her, I'd say tell her it's not happening.
    Ellen and Kip like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My brother had a knee replacement and was much younger than 81. IMHO, she's not going to feel like much entertaining. Even if she is reasonably mobile (with a walker at that point), she'll still be recuperating from major surgery.

Can you get her to agree to ONE dinner with guests, and then others could be invited over for shorter time periods if she's feeling up to it?

My parents love entertaining and it's not often they aren't up to it due to illness. That's just how they are. They are from the old school of thought that visitors are supposed to come visit when you're sick. I don't get it, but they are wired that way.

Hopefully, she'll have a change of heart when she sees she may be weaker and not as ready for guests as she expected. If not, tell her that you aren't up for it. Taking care of someone who is not mobile is a LOT of work. I've done it. You never get to sit down. There's always something to do. Good luck. It's good she has family to go and help her.

When someone has something like this done, people have a habit of dropping in to see how they're doing & sometimes bring food to make things easier. When my mom had an injury & needed surgery, this was the case.
    This was nice & she enjoyed the brief visits. That may be all the company your mom needs. It was for mine.
    Punkin, Ellen and nennie like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Wow! I knew I could count on you guys. I'm impressed with your quick responses. I like the suggestion to have folks come for a brief visit, but NOT a dinner party. If they bring food, even better.
    Ellen, KatesMom and AZChristian like this.
    Count your blessings!

Hi Gut. The key to a successful TKR is devoting all attention to pain management and therapy. At the point when you will be there, I predict no time for entertaining. It wouldn't be in her best interest. A few phone calls would be nice, to keep her spirits up. Once she reaches her 90% goal, then she can .
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Wow! I knew I could count on you guys. I'm impressed with your quick responses. I like the suggestion to have folks come for a brief visit, but NOT a dinner party. If they bring food, even better.
    Just wanted to mention that you will want to keep her diet as controlled as possible. Her prescriptions will warn you of possible side effects, and make sure you push the electrolytes!

+ Reply to Thread