+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6170Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I have to laugh though, my brother and SIL moved back home to MI this year from Las Vegas. My SIL moved here first, because she was 9 months pregnant and had to get here before she couldn't travel anymore. So she came in August during the hottest period we had all summer! Now this. She keeps asking me if this is normal for a MI winter and I just have to keep telling her that this is by far the worst winter we have had since 1978!! Man, those two certainly know how to pick 'em!!
    The news here in MN yesterday pointed out that just a few months back in August they were closing schools without A/C because it was too hot, and now they are closing them because it's too cold!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    condo
    How'd I forget that?
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just heard Atlanta's mayor say that when he shut down government because of the gnarly weather and roads all of the people were let go at THE SAME TIME!!! Yes, I freaked out. I know that they aren't familiar with this kind of chaos, but wouldn't common sense tell you to stagger release times? No wonder that they have roads serving as parking lots for 2 days(?), so far and nobody can get anywhere. With zero experience with this matter, I can't imagine why they didn't at least call somebody (a city of comparable size) for guidance. How embarrassing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, it looks like it was a mess. I can relate.

Another factor is that when there is ice on the roads like that, you have little if any control over the car. You can be sitting still, yet slide off the road or into other cars. With numerous wrecked cars ahead of you, you are stuck waiting on police and tow trucks, except they can't get to you, because the roads are littered with traffic and wrecks. It's crazy.

Atlanta failed its citizens. I've been reading stories of folks there and in Birmingham helping each other - really heartwarming in the midst of such a crazy situation.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    After hearing all of the horror stories about the heating bills, I am super-tickled that I had my heating bill set up on the equal monthly payment plan several years ago. When I asked my neighbor if his was also set up like that, he said, "Hell Naw!!!", like I was crazy! I'd love to know what his bills have been during this polar vortex. Wonder if he's kicking himself? I've also not touched my thermostat in forever.
    Opposite here - I've been paying $110 each of the winter months and my actual bill is only $75-80. But in Summer instead of paying my usual $200-$300 for June, July, August, Sept, I'll still be paying $110 each month.
    Lizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Go ahead, I'll wait.
    Take away sixty of those degrees and you've got my high for tomorrow.
    Yeah, I'm not really going to apologize.

It's 63 right now, but it's raining. That's our "winter weather." Like Ellen said, we pay more for the climate out here, although she's got it better than I do, for sure.
    Punkin and Ellen like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, it looks like it was a mess. I can relate.

Another factor is that when there is ice on the roads like that, you have little if any control over the car. You can be sitting still, yet slide off the road or into other cars. With numerous wrecked cars ahead of you, you are stuck waiting on police and tow trucks, except they can't get to you, because the roads are littered with traffic and wrecks. It's crazy.
    Yes, and unlike here where we all drive SUV and all wheel vehicles, I understand that is not necessarily the case down there because they don't typically have to deal with the snow and ice like we do. Snow and ice do not go well with a rear wheel drive vehicle!!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really going to apologize.

It's 63 right now, but it's raining. That's our "winter weather." Like Ellen said, we pay more for the climate out here, although she's got it better than I do, for sure.
    Fine. :/

By pay more do you mean the cost of living? Cause my city is not what you'd call cheap by any means. And it comes with snow.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Anyone live near Beverly Hills? Laurel Canyon? I was recently looking at some video footage of the area. I have been hearing about the drought. Man, it looks pretty green and luscious to me.

+ Reply to Thread