+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 2434 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132721225221022 ... LastLast
Like Tree5866Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I think I'm feeling a little down about my appearance right now because I just spent 1,300 kilometres staring at my chubby, short-haired, bespectacled face in the side-view mirror, realizing how much I looked like what I really don't want to look like.
    Rattus, you sound really sad today. Have you tried contact lenses? The soft ones are really comfortable and a lot of eye docs will let you try a set free when you go in for your eye appt. I think short hair can be really becoming as well--but it may take a little effort. You don't have to do a ton to it but try a few products while you're growing it all. Also, not sure if you're into makeup, but I'm always surprised at how a splash of lipstick and a little mascara will really make my face "pop" when I'm feeling blue.

Regarding hairstylists--Karen Duffy (the MTV VJ from a few years ago) always had the most amazing haircuts and she, too, went to an elderly barber. I think the main (or should that be mane ) thing is not keeping your hair trimmed so that it doesn't get too stringy.

Get some recommendations for the stylists your friends/colleagues/neighbors use and then take in photos of styles you like, but also ask the stylist what they think would work for you (and be truthful with them about how much upkeep you're willing to do with your new 'do). They may come up with something you'll like!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-11-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Rattus, you sound really sad today. Have you tried contact lenses? The soft ones are really comfortable and a lot of eye docs will let you try a set free when you go in for your eye appt. I think short hair can be really becoming as well--but it may take a little effort. You don't have to do a ton to it but try a few products while you're growing it all. Also, not sure if you're into makeup, but I'm always surprised at how a splash of lipstick and a little mascara will really make my face "pop" when I'm feeling blue.
    Thanks, Lois, but I'm not really sad, just kind of frustrated with my inability to choose either appearance or comfort. I've managed to make the two work in conjunction with the other parts of my life, though I believe many of you would be rolling your eyes at the sight of the punk/hippie attire I wear on my own time . But with those sort of clothes, you can see why the secretarial head doesn't workl

I have tried contact lenses, but unfortunately have dry eyes so they didn't really work for me. That's why I'm going to get a pair of rimless specs - I tried them on and they do look pretty good and they appear, after such a short wearing, to be comfortable. And I do have a lipstick, but as I posted in Pet Peeves a while back, the only shade of lipstick that has ever looked great on my has gone off the market.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Exactly! My stylist is a barber/stylist. I leave the shop, every 4 weeks, paying about $20, and that includes my eyebrows. There are men of all ages(it is so funny seeing the men getting their hair colored! ) and women in my shop. All of the operators are women.

I also fully agree about the little touch of color and definition provided by lipstick and mascara. It makes all of the difference in the world. I look tired and sick without it...to myself. You don't have to go all the way with the heavy-duty stuff unless you just want to.

When you see somebody with great looking hair, don't be afraid to ask them who did their hair. I've never known them not to be flattered by the question, or to think that you are weird.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Life is so much easier for men Three or four times a year, I have my ex-wife hack off an inch or two of my hair, or what's left of it. My hair hasn't started to gray yet (just lucky, my brothers are all as gray as army mules), and the gray in my beard, while dominant, gives me a half-assed look of dignity. I haven't changed my hairstyle in years. I started parting it down the middle in 9th grade (hey! Lots of guys were doing it back then!) and still do, although the part is now about 6 inches wide )
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newf?? you let your ex near you that many times a year with scissors??

LOL good for you!

I am the only one who visits a hairdresser in my family. I cut my husband's hair and my daughter's hair.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

One suggestion I forgot to make......get your eyebrows done, by your stylist/barber if you can. It can make a huge difference in how you look to yourself, and it can add that little "something" to the way that you look to other people...but they may not exactly know what it is!

Doing them yourself, you may get them too skimpy! That just looks weird...like when you shave them off and draw them on! That is truly a "YIKES!" look!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    One suggestion I forgot to make......get your eyebrows done, by your stylist/barber if you can.
    Mine? Turning white
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

One suggestion I forgot to make......get your eyebrows done, by your stylist/barber if you can. It can make a huge difference in how you look to yourself, and it can add that little "something" to the way that you look to other people...but they may not exactly know what it is!
    I completely agree on this one! I've had some bad eyebrow arching done (I didn't like how they did it at the Mario Triocci by me--they waxed it off and it wasn't very pretty). I go to some places in downtown Chicago that cost just the same ($25) and they tweeze the arch into place and then trim down the straggly hairs with tiny scissors. It's totally worth it and a wonderful treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Mine? Turning white
    They can dye them for you as well! Or you can pencil that part in to make it darker if you don't want to deal with the dying!

OMG, Lois, I can't imagine paying $25 for my brows! I probably wouldn't do it for that much (but I probably would if I had to). I pay $5 for the waxing (augmented with a little plucking of my "pinfeathers"), and they look great and natural! You make me feel like a "lucky duck"!

OMG, Lois, I can't imagine paying $25 for my brows! I probably wouldn't do it for that much (but I probably would if I had to). I pay $5 for the waxing (augmented with a little plucking of my "pinfeathers"), and they look great and natural! You make me feel like a "lucky duck"!
    $5!!!! EESH!!!! I need to be where you are! There are places that will charge less (but still more than $5) around here, but it's hard to get to via public transportation and if I drive, then I have to pay a ton in parking! So it's an expensive treat for me regardless! (My gay guy friends who go to barbers get their eyebrows done and they said they're thrown in with the price of the haircut--which is about $12 or so. But with the guys, it's less shaping than just pulling out the occassional stray flyaway brows.)

+ Reply to Thread