+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4501Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had enough training in the health sciences (masters in veterinary physiology) that even though it was a long time ago and I have forgotten almost all of it, I'm not intimidated by the subject matter or by anyone in a white coat. My last several years have been spent intensively learning whatever I could to help my cats. It's pretty much my hobby and it's empowering. It's obscene to me that veterinarians do not learn what we need them to learn about basic cat health care and then make no effort to educate themselves after they graduate either. But it's within our grasp. The age of the internet and topical forums have helped a lot.

School was mostly hypothetical for me. Now that I have the practical applications (caring for my cats), it's much more real, I'm more interested, and it's sinking in better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    School was mostly hypothetical for me. Now that I have the practical applications (caring for my cats), it's much more real, I'm more interested, and it's sinking in better.
    It's funny (and not in a good way) how little practical application experience we can come out of college with!!
    prhoshay likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Temps are so cold here that for the first time ever I had great difficulty opening the dead bolt lock on the French doors leading to the backyard. My pooch was gonna have to go out through the mud room and out another door if I couldn't open it, but it finally opened.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    It is so disheartening, when I know that somebody I messaged on the dating site wanting to talk to her, ignored me, apparently deleted my messages and possibly blocked me from messaging her again. Is it something to take personally?
    No, don't take it personally. They don't know you. And, as you indicated from your following response, you now know they are a loser. Anyone who would talk to someone that way is not someone worth knowing.

Did you see the movie "Catfish"? Or the Catfish TV show on MTV? (the episodes are online) The show looks at who's on the other side of online relationships. Usually there's been an online relationship going on for a while and one of the parties never wants to videochat or meet up. Usually that person has posted pictures of someone else and the person often turns out to be of a different age or sex than they had indicated. Once in a while, the relationship actually works out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm also having trouble with my car doors being frozen tight. Most annoying.

I am blessed to have critters who never need to go out.
    Brooks likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I tried online dating once upon a time and have some hilarious stories to tell from the experience. One guy was really into me. We were arranging to meet and had exchanged some e-mails. Because of that, he was suggested by Facebook as someone I might like to friend... I clicked on his link and he was there with his arm around a woman "in a relationship". One interesting guy had a long, involved profile and in the very last section mentioned that he's a nudist. Might want to mention that a little earlier on. Just sayin'. Another guy led with, "I'm sure we agree that man is not monogamous..." (delete). The only one I ever met in person was a psychiatrist. He got me to talk a LOT about myself without ever saying much about himself. I felt like one of his patients. There was no second "date".
    Punkin, Kip and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm also having trouble with my car doors being frozen tight. Most annoying.

I am blessed to have critters who never need to go out.
    I have trouble with the lock on my house freezing up. After trying all sorts of gadgets & sprays, none of which work, I went to the Dollar Store & bought a pack of cheap lighters. I keep one in my purse at all times. When the lock freezes up, I use the lighter to heat up my house key. It gets me in.
    Although, when it's below 0 & I have an armload of stuff, it's frustrating to have to put it all down, including my purse, take off my gloves (I don't want to set them on fire) & get out the lighter & heat up my key.

I joke that the only way I can get in my house is to set my keys on fire.
    Punkin, Brooks and Debb70 like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I joke that the only way I can get in my house is to set my keys on fire.
    HA!
    Count your blessings!

Hooray! I have internet! We could not get online yesterday morning and after "troubleshooting" we (that means DH) got on the line to Comcast and after patiently waiting for a rep to work with him for maybe 10 minutes, Comcast threw a wrench in it by having an area shutdown. No computers, no TV, no landline. Long, boring story, but today he had to go to the Comcast place and get a new router. I don't know what I would do without DH in these circumstances. Before I retired I was an Office Manager and if ANYTHING went wrong I was immediately on the phone to a local tech company who would be there within 20 minutes (at $80 an hour) to solve any and all problems. And since I've retired, DH has seen that I will still call them, now to my house, at $80 an hour. So he has become a 'self-taught' troubleshooter. (I know how to motivate him.)

Funny, but before Big Brother this year, although I had been a member of The Fort for several years, I was not very active. The only forums I would visit were basically BB, TAR and Survivor. (Except for a brief foray into the political thread for Obama's first election where, consumed by passion, I forgot to be nice and suffered a couple of well earned infractions.) But somehow, this year I've found The Fort to be my first stop in the morning and last stop before dinnertime. Now I am on so many threads I never noticed before because I discovered the "New Posts" link! So yesterday I felt somewhat untethered when I couldn't get online. Oh my! Gotta' go. I have so much reading to catch up on!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Gutmutter - your mention of the nudist in your online dating experience reminded me....About 20 years ago, my husband bid on and won a weekend at a resort about 60 miles from us. When I called to make a reservation, as I was finished and about to hang up, the woman said, "You do know this is a nudist resort." Uh....no... we didn't know. We decided to go anyway. I think we went in January, so it was cold and people were wearing clothes most places (not in the hot tub though). The rooms were sparsely furnished. The bed was a plywood platform with a 2" piece of foam on top - it was so uncomfortable. They handed out sheets to us and we had to make our own bed - that was fine. No tv - didn't bother me, but my husband hated that. Other than hiking, there wasn't a lot to do there. As we left, driving down the bumpy dirt road, "We've Gotta Get Out of This Place" by the Animals was playing on the radio - that was how I was feeling. We never bid on another PBS auction.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread