+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I went to college. The last two years of college, I worked a semester (in my major) and went to school a semester. I learned very quickly that what you learn in class and in books is just a foundation for the real knowledge you learn once you are in the real world.
    I would say that some of the most valuable information I learned were from people who didn't have a college education but had worked as a day to day laborer making all that "school" taught knowledge actually work.

I don't ever want to stop learning. There are so many things that I want to know about and learn to do.
    Punkin, CantGetNuf and Kip like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There's the formal education, and then there's how it REALLY works. Ironic, isn't it?
    Miss Scarlet and inthegarden like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I have a college degree and my husband has a PhD, but we both know that a college degree doesn't translate to "smarts" or wisdom.

One of my favorite quotes is from a guy who, at the time, was the president of the Canadian Tire Company. He said something like, "The biggest mistake I ever made was leaving school at 14. I should have left when I was 12." A client of mine, one of the most successful people I know, left school at 16. He reads constantly and knows more than most college educated people.

Plus, these days, from my experience in hiring recent college grads, it seems like a liberal arts/humanities college degree is pretty much equivalent to what a high school degree used to be. Something like 40% of freshmen entering public colleges require remedial English and/or math classes. When I went to college, that figure was 5% - and people thought that number was high at the time!
    Punkin, inthegarden and 1dog2kids like this.

My daughter has a Double Master's Degree. She used to send me her papers to proofread & for suggestions for additions & subtractions & alternate wordings.
    When I mentioned to her that she was far more educated than me & wondered why my opinions were at all useful to her, she said: "You've got street smarts, Mom."
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I am not a high school graduate. I got married when I was 17 and not because I had to. I never liked school from the time I was a 1st grader. That being said I am a prolific reader and have devoured books. I have what Miss Scarlet calls street smarts and am self taught in many things. I will try most anything once and if I can't do it then I go to something else. I have a huge vocabulary and my sister tells me all the time to talk on her level because she doesn't know what the word means. I will say our kids need the education and I am big on getting one and the kids I help raise have stringent requirements on their grades. They are highly intelligent and they aren't getting by with sluffing off end being mediocre. Do I wish I had gotten a diploma or a GED. NO, do I need one YES. You can have all the degrees in the world but if you don't have the sense to know what to do after you get it then it is useless.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I went to college for 3 years and have been reading for 36 years since then. I'm sure I've learned a LOT more on my own than I ever did in college.
    My oldest daughter was difficult on the border of abusive throughout high school. Once she went away to college she realized how much her family meant to her. She was never a problem after that.
    Count your blessings!

I needed remedial math/algebra when I got to college, but I blame that on the small school with no options of different teachers. I could not learn from the monotone math woman at my high school. When I got to college, I undertook the task of not only my remedial algebra, but of finding books that would allow me to learn on my own. That system really worked for me. I became voracious about my chemistry and math classes. So, ha ha, Miss Smith!!!! Nanny nanny boo boo, on YOU!!!
    Punkin, Ellen, CantGetNuf and 1 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My daughter is very brilliant but she is trying to choose her university program around whether she will need maths or not. She says she hates maths. I am trying to convince her that it is important to choose a program based on the career you want not the subjects you don't want to take.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    My daughter is very brilliant but she is trying to choose her university program around whether she will need maths or not. She says she hates maths. I am trying to convince her that it is important to choose a program based on the career you want not the subjects you don't want to take.
    In my home state the state universities (public, not private) require you to take one or two courses from each discipline no matter what your major might be. So, it's sort of like one from column A and one from Column B: 2 writing classes, 2 English/Literature, 2 Math, 2 lab science, 2 history, at least 3 from the Social Sciences (psych, sociology, anthro), 2 Foreign Language,. 2 from Fine Arts (music and art), etc. My son hated this his freshman year as there were certain courses he didn't want to take. I told him it was a good way to get him to broaden his horizons and perhaps his interest might be piqued by a class in some area he had never studied. He told me he already knew he wasn't going to major in history or foreign language, so why bother? Well, the rules are the rules, so grin and bare it. I hated history as a young student and left the history requirements for summer school. Now as an adult I find history very interesting.

Many private schools don't have this core curriculum so I guess it's different. I do feel for those who hate math, though. I think it's one of the main reasons my son didn't become an architect...he was always doodling as a kid and is very creative but he did not want to take a lot of college math. He was a B+ math student, so I'm sure he could have hacked it, but 2 college math courses were enough for him.

I THOUGHT I hated math/algebra. Once I got my math-legs under me, it was a different story. Our children are so spoiled in this country; "I don't wannnna do it!" .....I think it's a very good thing that we are required to take certain subjects that may not please us. Basically, it just requires that we just dip our toe in, and be done with it and, like you said, the smart person figures out to take it at a time when we can spend the least amount of time doing it OR, maybe, even online.

The man I married did the ultimate stupid thing. He had been given awarded a full-ride art scholarship at his local university, but turned it down because he couldn't take only the classes HE wanted to take. He now definitely regrets that, but I don't think anyone in his family had ever been to college, either. The brother after him went to college and became an educator; he has a sister who did the "business school" thing, after high school. All his life, our son heard me talking about how much I loved college, and how much fun I'd had; he said that had a lot to do with why he went; his dad, at least, admitted to our son that he had made the mistake of turning down that full-scholarship. I was surprised that he had admitted that; mostly, what I would see out of him was jealousy of all things college-related, when it came to his brother or me. This is one of those things I came to learn that my son was listening to me and taking it in when I thought it was all going in one ear and out the other!

****************************** ****************************** ************************

The temps are so cold that I can't even take my garbage out!! The lid on the garbage can is frozen SOLID to the container; I have to wait until, maybe Saturday or Sunday to put it out. Now, I've figured out that when I seen this kind of weather coming to take the lid off the container BEFORE it freezes and I can't get in it!

+ Reply to Thread